Awestruck newbie

Zaia

So, thanks to the unexpected efficiency of Amazon, my Thoth Deck, plus DuQuette's book and the Book Of Thoth, ended up arriving this morning rather than next Monday.

I am completely entranced - not only is the art breathtaking in it's subtle and monumental multilayered complexity (it was worth twice the money, even if all I ever did with it was look at the pictures, in my opinion), but, having read Duquette in one greedy gulp already, I was struck by how much intuitive sense the schema behind it seems to make - I was expecting dry lists and rote memorisation, but it seems that the great amount of study that will surely be involved will be within a framework I can feel the shape of. I feel as if I've made the barest scratch into a psycho-spiritual archaeology of almost infinite depth, and it's a little like falling in love.

There is no real point to this post, and I hope you'll forgive me my hyperbole, but I just wanted to share my burst of enthusiasm (it was that or start accosting passers-by about it in the street *grin*), though if anyone has any pointers, suggestions or comments they'd like to share, I would be most appreciative.

- Zaia

brainacid

Im at the edge of my seat waiting for my deck. I can relate the enthusiasm. I on the other hand will use the deck without the philosophy behind it. Although I will use the card meanings in DuQuette's book. Enjoy your journey!

Zaia

Hope you enjoy them as much as I do :)

And. even if the philosophy is not your cup of tea, that book is a really entertaining read...he's a funny guy.

Grigori

Welcome to the Thoth section Zaia. What you have there will keep you busy for a long time, but if you're looking for something else Snuffin's book on the Thoth I really appreciate also and it's quite a different approach to DuQuette which it complements very well.

Hope to see a lot of posts from you on the forum here :)

Culain

Re-read Crowley's own Book of Thoth at least once a year. Like Tarot itself or even the most beautiful poetry you could think of, new insights burst forth all the time from ever-newer and/or refined perspectives. I'll add to the suggested reading "The Crowley Tarot" by Akron & Hajo Benzhaf. By the way...you're right, it is a little like falling love! Seeing that made me smile.

treedog

Re-read Crowley's own Book of Thoth at least once a year....

Thanks for that reminder; it's been about a year since my first reading. I'm sure I will make new connections and experience more depth in a second reading. So much accelerated spiritual velocity in this last year... Whoosh, hold on and let go.

And yes, the Akron/Banzhaf has been very helpful. Two thumbs up (for me).

Even though I currently use other decks with more frequency now, the correspondences and meanings that I originally understood from the Thoth deck are a working part of my mind. This thread has let me look back and appreciate that impact.

Hang in there; it gets confusing, crazy, wonderful and exhilarating. You got to love Mystery!