One card reading - 9 of Cups, the Lord of Happiness

Grigori

I very frequently do one card readings with my Thoth deck. I tended to like larger spreads when reading with the RWS or clones, but when I started working more with the Thoth I found smaller spreads and most frequently one card was adequate. I think I tend to find details, layers and attributions in the one card as providing the 'interrelationship' that multiple cards gave me with RWS style desk.

I've been thinking about a work situation recently. About 18 months ago I moved into a new role, and its been a big year of changing the structure and products of the department I lead. To get what is needed I've had to be a bit persistent, and recently have been pushing a program that although not my idea (nor an idea I would have suggested myself as its complex and potentially messy), it really benefits my department and what I want for us long term, so I've pursued it strongly. It's a controversial concept for some people and has been a bit of disagreement about it's existence in upper management. So I asked 'What is the CEO's perspective of my performance?' thinking about whether I should keep pushing this and related ideas that we've previously discussed with each other (and somewhat disagreed about, because they're understanding of the facts and mine differ [mine being correct of course haha]).

I drew the 9 of Cups, Happiness.

I took this as a pretty good card. It's a very positive card, has a great reputation, sometimes referred to as the Wish card. I have somewhat of a jovial/joking nature, so could see that someone would see me as fitting the 'happiness' sort of pattern personally. It's quite a structured card, with the cups laid out in 3 rows of 3 and water flowing between them. I thought perhaps the negative aspect with this card is it being a water suit and so somewhat more passive than other cards. This is a company that prizes more fiery talents and each individual as being a leader and goal oriented. So perhaps I'm seen as not active enough in some areas (which could be true, but also I have some concerns I've been overly pushy with some people). Water is a particular symbol for what my department does that our others do not, so that may be descriptive of the department itself also.

My department has been shrinking over the last 7 years, and the work I've been doing is intended to turn that around and grow it again over the next couple of years aiming to reach a target I want to pursue and need to within a relative short time frame. Jupiter bodes really well for that, with its generous expansive energy. As a planet that can be seen to rule wealth and rain (agricultural wealth and water again) this seems really positive. Also the royal purple colour speaks to me of wealth and abundance, as well as the 9th Sephiroth's role as foundation building, and also change. Although astrologers don't like this, I sometimes conflate signs with houses in my readings and I saw the Pisces decan in this card as really related to the 12 house more than Pisces itself. A house of undoing or reckoning. I'd like to think I'm seen as an expansive force inside the struggling department, that fits really well with what I'd like to achieve.

Possibly I could draw another card asking for specific advice on action to take from this reading. I wonder how others would read the 9 of Cups as description of a person, or someones perspective of another?

Zephyros

As good as this card is, I feel a certain ethereal quality about it. Jupiter in Pisces as Yesod, attributed to the Moon (as is Pisces itself), so there is a certain feeling of "almost but not quite," as though it could have been the Ten, but by some fluke, it isn't. Happiness, but perhaps also a certain lack of reality, happiness in theory. As you said, the building of structure, but that structure isn't there yet.

My feeling is satisfaction at your efforts, but also waiting for tangible results, the bottom line. The potential is there (per what you said about Jupiter) but not its fruition.

Grigori

I like that Clos, and think it's fitting. I am struggling to engage the marketing people into what we are doing, which does effect the bottom line outcome substantially. We've done better already than the last few years, but still less than I'd hoped in a couple of important locations. Extending your approach in seeing the 9 as 'almost a 10' leads me to think 'what is the difference between the 9 and the 10? Perhaps the difference is Mars rather than Jupiter. A need to push more in areas outside of my usual control, rather than hope for the beneficence of Jupiter as an external force acting upon us.

Grigori

Looking at the card again and thinking about your comments Clos; the background of the image really jumped out at me. There is an almost 50/50 quality, with the background having different colours in the upper half compared to the lower. Then again there are different colours on the actual solid base the cups are sitting on. That's interesting and not something I've considered about this card before.

yogiman

I think it is a good exercise to do a one card reading, because you automatically pay attention to details, which leads to a good familiarity with the cards. But for serious divination it seems to me that you let the inner aspects of the card do double duty. The 9 of cups refers to happiness because it is a water card and because it's astrological assignment is jupiter in pisces. Suppose you would be working at a fire department, then you can still be looked upon as being happy with your work and a cheerful personality. It could be that you first of all should decide for yourself whether to contemplate the keywords or the details.

Another constriction maybe is that you bent the astrological meaning towards the keyword. In this case it's no problem, because the astrological designation is fitting.

Always Wondering

I often read with one card also.

I wonder how others would read the 9 of Cups as description of a person, or someones perspective of another?

I would look to Yesod in Water.

Yesod is change with stability, which speaks to the situation very well. I would read this person as creative for sure and in non work situation, consider this further in a sexual sense. This person may be subtle as well, but you already relayed this I think, in you questions of aggressiveness. Aggressive people don't wonder if they are too aggressive, in my experience. I would imagine a nine of cups person as reflective also. Perhaps with a lot on his shoulders, as a tenuous state. I would also think there was a lot more of them than I could see.

One of the advantages for me in pulling one card that I always consider both the positive and negative aspects, rather than look to other cards. The Qlippothic aspects of Yesod occur when the foundation is not strong. Also there is a tendency of Yesod to idleness. I would look to this person especially to watch his attention to these type of things.

Then there is the whole HGA issue I would have to consider and wonder about. I don't know how to apply this in a practical situation, but can never ignore it. Crowley says "What saves Yesod is the direct ray from Tiphareth; this Sephira is in the direct line of succession." Do what you willt with that. ;)

As for Yesod in water, I don't know if there is a different or additional effect of that other than Pieces. This is where I usually get all vague.

AW

Zephyros

I was actually a bit skeptical of the new readings rule, Grigori, but you proved me wrong. There are some aspects of cards that can only be discussed in the context of a reading, rather than the mostly theoretical discussions that go on here. It is also an excellent environment to hone "Thoth skills" rather than the mostly intuitive readings in other parts of the forum. Good idea!

What I find interesting in this particular readings is actually the Cups aspect, which I find difficult to peg. Any card can relate to any situation, of course, but it seems this is a very emotional project on both sides. I wouldn't venture to surmise that they are waiting for you to prove yourself, and have great expectations, but I can't think of anything else.

Grigori

I think it is a good exercise to do a one card reading, because you automatically pay attention to details, which leads to a good familiarity with the cards. But for serious divination it seems to me that you let the inner aspects of the card do double duty. The 9 of cups refers to happiness because it is a water card and because it's astrological assignment is jupiter in pisces. Suppose you would be working at a fire department, then you can still be looked upon as being happy with your work and a cheerful personality. It could be that you first of all should decide for yourself whether to contemplate the keywords or the details.

Another constriction maybe is that you bent the astrological meaning towards the keyword. In this case it's no problem, because the astrological designation is fitting.

I'm not entirely sure I'm following your meaning yogiman, so please correct me if so. I find it interesting to think about the card names and how they may impact a reading. I have a bit of a pet issue myself in that I don't like to see them referred to as 'keywords' as they are the card's title, just as with the titles on the majors or the courts. But I agree that they are more apt to be read literally, with something like 'sorrow' being more specific than 'The Tower'. I find however I can't and don't want to seperate the name from the rest of the card. Much as the astrological or kabbalistic attributions I see the name as one of the features of the card, just another part that may be relevant in a reading. I'm curious to understand better how you see the titles as seperate to the image and other features. How would it change your interpretation of this reading?

Grigori

I would look to Yesod in Water.

This really interests me AW. Where does your understanding of this come from? I can't recollect any specific literature I've read discussing the spheres from distinct elemental perspectives. Your interpretation seems very apt, I wonder how much is 'established' and how much is your own intuitive development from the components?

Similarly to you I like the approach of reading both aspects of a card, as strengths and weaknesses, rather than relying on the cards orientation to determine this as is more common when using reversed cards.

Grigori

I was actually a bit skeptical of the new readings rule, Grigori, but you proved me wrong. There are some aspects of cards that can only be discussed in the context of a reading, rather than the mostly theoretical discussions that go on here. It is also an excellent environment to hone "Thoth skills" rather than the mostly intuitive readings in other parts of the forum. Good idea!

Woohoo! I think there's a lot we can do this way. Thanks everyone for giving it a go!

What I find interesting in this particular readings is actually the Cups aspect, which I find difficult to peg. Any card can relate to any situation, of course, but it seems this is a very emotional project on both sides. I wouldn't venture to surmise that they are waiting for you to prove yourself, and have great expectations, but I can't think of anything else.

That is pretty apt also. Historically there was some significant investment into my area, that probably wasn't wise at the time and was buying other peoples problems rather than a good investment. I don't know, but suspect there is some desire to see justification for that, rather than admit error.

Certainly there is strong emotional investment at my end also as failure would mean facing redundancy, but also a really negative impact on my profession broadly which I don't want to see.