One card reading - 9 of Cups, the Lord of Happiness

TarotCraft

Ok so 9 of Cups, Jupiter in Pisces, Yesod in Briah.

My grip of Qabalah is sketchy at best so feel free to point out any glaring inaccuracies.

All the cards have a positive and a negative side and I can see both going on here. 'Happiness' is a great card. What's to not like? We're all happy, everyone's getting on, things are moving in the right direction and there's a great creative spirit. Nice.

Howevah, there's no grounding/earthiness here. It's all emotion and perception driven and those things can change in a heartbeat. There is no substance or permanence. Yesod? Pisces? Wishy-washy watery illusion. Can turn from a dream to a nightmare in a moment.

Those Cups won't fill themselves. They water will eventually evaporate or become stagnant. I think of this card as the honeymoon card. It seems like it's going to be perfect forever, but Briah and Yesod have no substance.

The CEO thinks you're doing a great job because they have good feelings about you and what you're doing. It won't take much to muddy the water and have him start to not feel so good about you because there is nothing anchoring this to reality, only to fickle, changeable feelings.

So I thought I'd draw a card to ask how you can best solidify your position *shuffle*: Prince of Cups, who is Air of Water.

So how you are perceived and how people feel about you is really important. Keeping people feeling good about themselves in relation to you is key to cementing and securing your role and growth within the company. The Mercurial aspect to this card is almost like playing mind games with people, but using your power for good. There is no tangible security to be had here. It's a popularity contest, but drawing on your Air of Water qualities will mean you can hone in on who and what is important to the people that matter and alter your course accordingly. The bottom line won't matter as much as how people perceive you - how they think and feel about you.

The other thing I note about both 'Happiness' and the Prince of Cups is the Atziluth colour scale. Perhaps you could actually take those colours and incorporate them in a subtle way into your clothing or environment to take invoke the Atziluthian energies of the Prince of Cups?

yogiman

I'm curious to understand better how you see the titles as seperate to the image and other features. How would it change your interpretation of this reading?

Some people are trimming the deck, likely because they feel distracted by the card title. But apart from that, reading tarot cards while relying heavily on the astrological attributions is a new development which was not used by the golden dawn, and was not in the mind of Crowley either, because it is very impractical to apply to the OOTK spread.

I thought perhaps the negative aspect with this card is it being a water suit and so somewhat more passive than other cards. This is a company that prizes more fiery talents and each individual as being a leader and goal oriented. So perhaps I'm seen as not active enough in some areas ...
Water is a particular symbol for what my department does that our others do not, so that may be descriptive of the department itself also.
I have the feeling that you had been happier if you catched the Magus or the Hierophant. Problem of reading for yourself about things of concern is that you project your fears and desires into the card. What you with the 9 of cups are suggesting is that you can't be happy and assertive at the same time, and if you are happy then the environment needs to have a quality that is related to the element water.

My department has been shrinking over the last 7 years, and the work I've been doing is intended to turn that around and grow it again over the next couple of years aiming to reach a target I want to pursue and need to within a relative short time frame. Jupiter bodes really well for that, with its generous expansive energy.

This is not related to the question, how the CEO is viewing your performance. What you can say is that with regard to what has happened they will value a positive mindset very much, but this is an inference.

One card doesn't tell me very much. Maybe the card is positive, or maybe they find you happy, but not able to see your own shortcomings. And by the way, you are lusting for result.})

Always Wondering

This really interests me AW. Where does your understanding of this come from? I can't recollect any specific literature I've read discussing the spheres from distinct elemental perspectives. Your interpretation seems very apt, I wonder how much is 'established' and how much is your own intuitive development from the components?

Similarly to you I like the approach of reading both aspects of a card, as strengths and weaknesses, rather than relying on the cards orientation to determine this as is more common when using reversed cards.

Mostly page 186, Book of Thoth.

AW

Grigori

Great to see you here JB :)

The CEO thinks you're doing a great job because they have good feelings about you and what you're doing. It won't take much to muddy the water and have him start to not feel so good about you because there is nothing anchoring this to reality, only to fickle, changeable feelings.

Thanks Jellybean, that's really useful advise!

So I thought I'd draw a card to ask how you can best solidify your position *shuffle*: Prince of Cups, who is Air of Water.

So how you are perceived and how people feel about you is really important. Keeping people feeling good about themselves in relation to you is key to cementing and securing your role and growth within the company. The Mercurial aspect to this card is almost like playing mind games with people, but using your power for good. There is no tangible security to be had here. It's a popularity contest, but drawing on your Air of Water qualities will mean you can hone in on who and what is important to the people that matter and alter your course accordingly. The bottom line won't matter as much as how people perceive you - how they think and feel about you.

I think this advice is really fitting. There is certainly a lot of politics happening around our projects, and coming down to interpersonal issues between directors I suspect. Navigating this is challenging for me, and also knowing how hard to push someone to do something they don't want to, that I think is needed but does murk my relationship with them. I'll take your advice on board and focus on making people feel good about themselves as my yardstick for management and particularly upwards management.

I really like this approach to reading, I do the same and usually start with a single card and then draw more as I want to highlight action or some specific aspect, rather than start with a multicard reading. I drew a card for the role of another person who is involved and fundamental to the marketing aspect, but I'm having difficulty getting movement out of them. Again I repeated the question from the perspective of the CEO's perspective, and I drew the Queen of Cups. The passivity of that card seemed really fitting with my own perspective, but also interesting that you drew the Prince for advice for my own action. I'll sit down and contemplate this card, and perhaps time for it to make a sneaky appearance in my office to remind me.

The other thing I note about both 'Happiness' and the Prince of Cups is the Atziluth colour scale. Perhaps you could actually take those colours and incorporate them in a subtle way into your clothing or environment to take invoke the Atziluthian energies of the Prince of Cups?

Love it!

Grigori

Some people are trimming the deck, likely because they feel distracted by the card title. But apart from that, reading tarot cards while relying heavily on the astrological attributions is a new development which was not used by the golden dawn, and was not in the mind of Crowley either, because it is very impractical to apply to the OOTK spread.

Yes my reading deck I trimmed the borders. I don't find the names distracting to me and know them by heart anyway, but find the deck easier to handle with the smaller size and like to see card images side by side and interacting with each other.

I have the feeling that you had been happier if you catched the Magus or the Hierophant. Problem of reading for yourself about things of concern is that you project your fears and desires into the card.

I'm not sure they would have been my preferences, I can see positive aspects to both of course, but also negative ones.

What you with the 9 of cups are suggesting is that you can't be happy and assertive at the same time, and if you are happy then the environment needs to have a quality that is related to the element water.

That is really interested to consider. Do I see assertion and satisfaction as somehow antagonistic? Not within myself I think, I've got a mutual reception between my Sun in Aries and Mars in Leo and am comfortable with fire and authority, but also my strong water aspects soften that which I value. My concern is more the balance between encouraging others who are supportive, verses conflicting with those who are not in order to gain support. I think I can be assertive and happy, the question is can I be assertive and keep others happy...

This is not related to the question, how the CEO is viewing your performance. What you can say is that with regard to what has happened they will value a positive mindset very much, but this is an inference.

I think I explained that badly. I didn't mean to suggest that the card should indicate likely success, only that I was seen as pushing in the right direction potentially.

One card doesn't tell me very much. Maybe the card is positive, or maybe they find you happy, but not able to see your own shortcomings. And by the way, you are lusting for result.})

I think we're doing pretty well for a one card reading. And I'm still working on my pure will unassuaged of purpose ;)

Grigori

Mostly page 186, Book of Thoth.

AW

Ah great, thanks AW. I often forget this section. And It's got me thinking about identifying my 'Tipareth' in the situation, and how they can redeem me as Yesod. There are a couple of contenders for that position actually, and useful for me to remember them in this light :)