The Book of The Law Study Group 3.69

Zephyros

The Comments don't say much about this one, and it seems quite obscure in any case. Two hints to the dying god that I found, one is 69 in Sephiroths as אבוס "manger," the second is psalm 69 which is a prayer of prostration. "Success" would seem to "Thelemically invert" these.

Success is also mentioned in connection with 69 in the chapter of the Book of Lies, "The way to Succeed and the way to Suck Eggs!" and possibly hints at a certain posture one assumes, at the proper times. Or maybe that's my dirty thinking.

Always Wondering

3rd chapter.
Three word sentence.
Six and nine both divisible by three.
Binah
Understanding.

By trying to understand this book, I have come to a better understanding of myself.

Aeon418

3rd chapter.
Three word sentence.
Six and nine both divisible by three.
Binah
Understanding.
The word 'success' only appears in chapter III. And it does so three times.

III:42 - Success is thy proof

III:46 - Success is your proof

III:69 - There is success.

Maybe 3 - 6 - 9 indicates Binah to Tiphareth to Yesod. Unlike the last verse that was short-circuited by the intellect (Hod), this one communicates directly with the subconscious. The Paths inbetween are intersting too. Zain and Samekh - The Lovers and Art, Solve et Coagula, the Great Work. Also Zain (7) + Samekh (60) = 67, BINH - Binah, Understanding.

This enigmatic verse doesn't give the intellect much to chew on. Maybe that's the point. Success just IS. III:42 seems to warn against an overly intellectual approach. Don't argue, don't try to convert, don't yack on and on to another intellect. Someone is receptive or they aren't. It is no odds.

As closrapexa has pointed out there may be a connection to chapter 69 in The Book of Lies.
Aleister Crowley said:
This Interchange, the Double Gift of Tongues, the Word of Double Power - ABRAHADABRA! - is the sign of the GREAT WORK, for the GREAT WORK is accomplished in Silence.
Silence, the virtue of Binah. :shhh: No wonder Choronzon doesn't like it. })

While meditating on this verse I kept thinking there was a connection to the biblical verse, "Let there be light." At first I thought it was due to Crowley's comment about the lack of emphasis on the word 'there'. Then I noticed that III x 69 = 207.

Suggestive words with this value include:

AVR, Light.
AIN SVPh, Limitless.
GDR, walled or fenced. (Suggests Cheth?)
ZR, The Crown of the Ark. (Atop which the cherubim were said to join in sexual embrace. I doubt it was a 69 :laugh:, but the symbolism of Union is interesting.)

Grigori

I was intrigued by the different interpretations and meanings found when moving the emphasis of the sentence

There is success
There is success
There is success

Aeon418

I was intrigued by the different interpretations and meanings found when moving the emphasis of the sentence

There is success
There is success
There is success

You could attribute each one to a Thelemic deity. ;)

There - Nuit.

Is - Hadit.

Success - Ra Hoor Khuit.

Zephyros

This enigmatic verse doesn't give the intellect much to chew on. Maybe that's the point. Success just IS. III:42 seems to warn against an overly intellectual approach. Don't argue, don't try to convert, don't yack on and on to another intellect. Someone is receptive or they aren't. It is no odds.

As closrapexa has pointed out there may be a connection to chapter 69 in The Book of Lies.

ZR, The Crown of the Ark. (Atop which the cherubim were said to join in sexual embrace. I doubt it was a 69 :laugh:, but the symbolism of Union is interesting.)

It is, indeed interesting, even (especially?) with the smutty stuff, which you "conveniently" left out. })

This Work also eats up itself, accomplishes its own end, nourishes the worker, leaves no seed, is perfect in itself.

Obviously trying to be as PG as I can... this is reminiscent of the "first whirlings" of Keter; unity self-contained, yet constantly building duality destroyed. As you said, success merely "is," and nothing more. I think DuQuette describes it as a constant of ecstasy. Symbolically, this is perhaps Love that is unspent (although physically this is probably not the case). It makes sense that success wouldn't be the type that comes with "lust of result."

Aeon418

It is, indeed interesting, even (especially?) with the smutty stuff, which you "conveniently" left out. })
AW has already commented on the "smutty stuff." ;)
Always Wondering said:
By trying to understand this book, I have come to a better understanding of myself.
I thought the referrence to 'seed' indicated acts not in accord with the Will sow the seeds of future karma.

ravenest

III:42 - Success is thy proof

III:46 - Success is your proof

III:69 - There is success.

Maybe 3 - 6 - 9 indicates Binah to Tiphareth to Yesod. Unlike the last verse that was short-circuited by the intellect (Hod), this one communicates directly with the subconscious. The Paths inbetween are intersting too. Zain and Samekh - The Lovers and Art, Solve et Coagula, the Great Work. Also Zain (7) + Samekh (60) = 67, BINH - Binah, Understanding.

This enigmatic verse doesn't give the intellect much to chew on. Maybe that's the point. Success just IS. III:42 seems to warn against an overly intellectual approach. Don't argue, don't try to convert, don't yack on and on to another intellect.

Someone ...

or 'you' ... i.e. me - the reader

... is receptive or they aren't. It is no odds.

While meditating on this verse I kept thinking there was a connection to the biblical verse, "Let there be light."

I like this take on it.

In my early readings of this I used to think ... ' Oh yeah! , they always offer you success as proof ... just do this and it will work ... you will be 'saved', have eternal life, be in bliss, 'be as strong as 10 men' (the adverts in the comics used to say) :) ... but it was a relief from the other sorts of proofs different systems tried to convince me with ... they seemed ridiculous proofs in some circumstances, and some people seemed ridiculous to me for accepting it as proof. Only one thing is going to convince me with proof - success - the 'proof is in the pudding' as they say ... and of course in the eating of the pudding. (One needs time to digest it and it should nourish and supply the body with what it needs as well ... and it can have little treasures inside it ;) )

A continually successful, joyous, advancing, manifesting, fullfilling and evolving life (in my own terms) ... that's a pretty good success :)

I did find success ! This system suits me quiet well. It might not be another's proof but it is MY proof ... and that is the only proof I need.