Hermit as challenge and 3 of swords as outcome?

KnightOfTheCosmos

Hello all!

So I decided to do a reading into in my love life this month a couple of days ago with my Deviant Moon deck and I got The Hermit as challenges and the 3 of Swords as the outcome of this month. This has me a bit worried but also confused, especially the 3 of Swords.

I am basically the Hermit right now. I am currently working on myself and some issues from my past, and doing a lot of introspection, and I think that's what the Hermit means. But, as an obstacle, could it be I'm doing TOO MUCH introspection and spending too much time in isolation? I will admit that I have isolated myself and feel quite lonely as of late, so I'm tempted to think that's what it means.

But the 3 of Swords is really confusing me because I am single. I will admit that I'm currently in the process of getting over someone I used to be with but rationally I know things worked out for the best. I know the 3oS means heartbreak, a period of sadness or separation, betrayal. But if I am single and I do not keep in contact with the person who I'm getting over, then what could it mean? Maybe some hidden painful truth from the past will come up? Maybe my isolation with hit a breaking point and cause me pain?

TLDR: What do you guys think the Hermit is as a challenge and the 3 of Swords as an outcome in love readings? I am sorry if the answers seem obvious but I'm really at a lost with the 3oS. Thank you! :)

rwcarter

Um, if you're too busy working on yourself and some past issues, wouldn't that BE the challenge to any new relationship next month? It seems like you're doubting your own interpretation.

I don't have access to my decks to look at the Deviant Moon's imagery, but 3S as Outcome could be nothing more than a painful truth you come to realize about yourself and relationships (in general or with a specific person if that's what the reading was about).

Rodney

KnightOfTheCosmos

Um, if you're too busy working on yourself and some past issues, wouldn't that BE the challenge to any new relationship next month? It seems like you're doubting your own interpretation.

I don't have access to my decks to look at the Deviant Moon's imagery, but 3S as Outcome could be nothing more than a painful truth you come to realize about yourself and relationships (in general or with a specific person if that's what the reading was about).

Rodney

I am doubting it, which is why I asked for help. Sorry if the answer was obvious...but I was just confused and wanted other people's opinions. I can get how that would be a challenge, but since it was The Hermit I just assumed the challenge was specifically too much isolation because I'm doing too much introspection and it could be introspection that's becoming rumination. I guess what I'm trying to get at is, since The Hermit is usually voluntary isolation, then if it's a challenge, is it still voluntary isolation but out of fear? Is the isolation necessary or am I doing too much introspection? I've been working on these past issues for a while now and, in general readings for me, The Hermit used to be advice. So I just found it interesting that it changed to an obstacle/challenge. DM's interpretation of 3 of Swords is just a woman crying with 3 swords sticking into her heart. It's probably about relationships in general. Thank you for your help.

Barleywine

The outcome card can certainly show that there is the chance of a repeat occurrence or an unresolved issue remaining from a previous situation, but don't discount the possibility of some entirely new mental-emotional distress arising during the month that you can't accurately pinpoint at the time of the reading (these things are infinitely unpredictable). On a more positive note, I see the 3 of Swords more as "developmental" rather than debilitating or paralyzing anguish. The number Three is about progress, growth and development, and in the suit of Swords it suggests advancement through painful experiences, often some of the lessons that we learn best. They don't feel like it at the time, but they can be instructive and ultimately liberating.

KnightOfTheCosmos

The outcome card can certainly show that there is the chance of a repeat occurrence or an unresolved issue remaining from a previous situation, but don't discount the possibility of some entirely new mental-emotional distress arising during the month that you can't accurately pinpoint at the time of the reading (these things are infinitely unpredictable). On a more positive note, I see the 3 of Swords more as "developmental" rather than debilitating or paralyzing anguish. The number Three is about progress, growth and development, and in the suit of Swords it suggests advancement through painful experiences, often some of the lessons that we learn best. They don't feel like it at the time, but they can be instructive and ultimately liberating.

Thanks a lot for your response Barley! This was helpful because I didn't know the 3 of swords could indicate repetitive circumstances. I'll keep that in mind. And you're right; I think as the month goes on, I'll see what the 3oS means. I was just thinking of the possibilities so I could be a bit more prepared. Now that you mention it, I have a feeling it indicates an unresolved issue left over from another situation. I need closure from a previous situation and I never got it. I really like what you said about "developmental anguish". That sounds a lot more realistic and positive. I also believe that a person learns a lot about themselves in times of turmoil.

Michael Sternbach

The challenge could be to go look into yourself, cast some light on the unresolved pain that may be there (the Hermit being numerically related with the Moon), in spite of your mind attempting to rationalize it away, and then work through it (3oS as the outcome). Note that the Swords stand for mental activity, so there might not least be a warning here not to make this another "head trip." Don't be afraid to let your emotions surface, so you can release them and truly move on.

Hope this helps.

Grizabella

Just by those two cards, I think the cards are telling you to make sure you've thoroughly gotten over the last heartbreak. Take the time you need as a single person to be sure all the issues surrounding that are totally take care of. If you don't do that, then there could be another episode of the ongoing saga of relationships that don't work.

KnightOfTheCosmos

The challenge could be to go look into yourself, cast some light on the unresolved pain that may be there (the Hermit being numerically related with the Moon), in spite of your mind attempting to rationalize it away, and then work through it (3oS as the outcome). Note that the Swords stand for mental activity, so there might not least be a warning here not to make this another "head trip." Don't be afraid to let your emotions surface, so you can release them and truly move on.

Hope this helps.

Thank you! The "head trip" part really resonates with me because I spend a lot of time in my head. I dislike feeling intense emotion, so I always dispute emotion with logic. So I will take your advice to heart (literally) and just let whatever emotions come up and work through them.

Just by those two cards, I think the cards are telling you to make sure you've thoroughly gotten over the last heartbreak. Take the time you need as a single person to be sure all the issues surrounding that are totally take care of. If you don't do that, then there could be another episode of the ongoing saga of relationships that don't work.

Thanks Grizabella! The sad thing is that I originally thought I worked through the last heartbreak, you know? I honestly thought I worked through the emotions. But there are a lot of unanswered questions I have that never got answered. The breakup was really weird and I have a feeling the person wasn't telling the truth. It was my first breakup too so I guess that's why it's hard. But you gave me an idea. I'll journal my issues with that relationship and really examine them, not just with my head but with my heart. I think too much with my head anyways. ^___^;;

Blessed

The Voluntary Loners

Hello, KnightOfTheCosmos!

I have no image or knowledge of the Deviant Moon deck, but your combination of cards seemed very intriguing to me (due to previous life experiences) and also logical in a way.

I think the challenge within the Hermit lies in the very fact that you have chosen solitude in order to work on your self and resolve past issues. Choosing to do what we consider to be "the right thing" - in this case figuring out your past and getting a closure - no matter how difficult or hurtful the procedure might be, means presenting your self with a great challenge.
The solitude is self-imposed and it's challenging on two fronts at the same time:
1. Enduring the loneliness
2. Maintaining it and deciding whether or not you will continue with this situation

In my opinion, the 3 of swords as an outcome indicates possible hurt and anguish if you continue on this path of solitude for too long. The way I see it, the 3 of swords could mean any kind of emotional wound and turmoil, not necessarily one stemming from a relationship.

But it could also point to the end of the road of your retrospection, after you get the closure you seek. In this possibility, the way I see it, you finally resonate with the loss of this past relationship and this realisation is hurtful to you - the hurt stemming from coming to terms with the end and the leaving the relationship behind.

You are the only one who can tell and decide what the meaning is.

Michael Sterbach's take on the matter with the "head-trip" is very interesting and I used to be in a similar situation. Allow me to extend a word of caution for this possibility:
be careful of the tendency to rationalise everything and don't be afraid to let your emotions hit you hard. I used to purposely numb every intense feeling I had. At first, it was to handle my grief over the death of a loved one and be able to function - go on day by day and not burden other people. I ended up blocking all emotions, either for the sake of logic, or because of fear of not being able to handle them. Eventually, I went totally numb and couldn't feel anything. I not only embraced my solitude but I was cloaked with it, eventually locked inside it (which reminds me, beware of the possibility of 8 of swords for a reading of similar context).
It took some very lucky circumstances (I call them blessings) and serious determination in order to start feeling and living again.
So, just... be careful. And take care of yourself.
Blessed be!

KnightOfTheCosmos

Hello, KnightOfTheCosmos!

I have no image or knowledge of the Deviant Moon deck, but your combination of cards seemed very intriguing to me (due to previous life experiences) and also logical in a way.

I think the challenge within the Hermit lies in the very fact that you have chosen solitude in order to work on your self and resolve past issues. Choosing to do what we consider to be "the right thing" - in this case figuring out your past and getting a closure - no matter how difficult or hurtful the procedure might be, means presenting your self with a great challenge.
The solitude is self-imposed and it's challenging on two fronts at the same time:
1. Enduring the loneliness
2. Maintaining it and deciding whether or not you will continue with this situation

In my opinion, the 3 of swords as an outcome indicates possible hurt and anguish if you continue on this path of solitude for too long. The way I see it, the 3 of swords could mean any kind of emotional wound and turmoil, not necessarily one stemming from a relationship.

But it could also point to the end of the road of your retrospection, after you get the closure you seek. In this possibility, the way I see it, you finally resonate with the loss of this past relationship and this realisation is hurtful to you - the hurt stemming from coming to terms with the end and the leaving the relationship behind.

You are the only one who can tell and decide what the meaning is.

Michael Sterbach's take on the matter with the "head-trip" is very interesting and I used to be in a similar situation. Allow me to extend a word of caution for this possibility:
be careful of the tendency to rationalise everything and don't be afraid to let your emotions hit you hard. I used to purposely numb every intense feeling I had. At first, it was to handle my grief over the death of a loved one and be able to function - go on day by day and not burden other people. I ended up blocking all emotions, either for the sake of logic, or because of fear of not being able to handle them. Eventually, I went totally numb and couldn't feel anything. I not only embraced my solitude but I was cloaked with it, eventually locked inside it (which reminds me, beware of the possibility of 8 of swords for a reading of similar context).
It took some very lucky circumstances (I call them blessings) and serious determination in order to start feeling and living again.
So, just... be careful. And take care of yourself.
Blessed be!

Hello, Blessed!

What an interesting reply. This resonated with me on several fronts but I am so surprised you mentioned the 8 of Swords because I had done this reading (same spread and everything) back in October 2015, and for the challenges position I got the 8 of Swords. Now the challenges position is The Hermit. I'm not sure if that's a good sign that I'm heading in the right direction. I feel like it isn't.

Also, you're right about being careful not to rationalize everything. I guess you could say I'm a very swords (or maybe pentacles?)-like person when it comes to romance. I'm very logical about my feelings and I don't allow myself to have fun unless there's something substantial there, you know? With that being said, I'm very afraid to try something if I don't have all the details about a situation. Being like this has caused me to miss out on a lot of opportunities.

When you said don't be afraid to let your emotions hit you hard....I actually realized that I DON'T know how to feel strong emotions. I feel very hollow. I've felt this way for...10 years now. I have a lot of trouble experiencing raw emotions. When I laugh, there's no emotion there. I tend to escape my emotions my rationalizing them, but sometimes logic isn't necessary.

Thanks a lot. Your reply really made me think about this from a different perspective. :)