Celestine Prophecy

Teheuti

gregory said:
I like to believe as many impossible things as possible. Sadly, deliberate lies and dissembling spoil that for me.
Gregory, do you think I should have told the mother that I saw a dangerous situation regarding her unborn child? I deliberately lied to her.

BTW, the pregnancy went fine and I was there for the birth and it all went beautifully. The baby was the happiest healthiest baby I've ever known. They spent three perfect months together. The baby died sleeping next to her (no, she didn't smother it).

gregory

Did you actually tell her all would be well ? THAT is what I would class as a lie.

Omitting information, while not always NICE, is not the same as deliberately telling an untruth.

I think this thread needs splitting.... We have two interesting but not directly related strands running. That Book, and truth and fiction.

Teheuti

Lillie said:
:(

You do all know that when I get to find that book I am probably going to have to re read the wretched thing to make sure I'm remembering it right...
You may not like it anymore than you did the first time, even knowing that the story surrounding the "lessons" is fiction.

Like I said, although it's got lots of problems from bad writing to over-simplification (etc., etc.), I got one fabulously good thing out of it—as well as a gentle reminder of a few other things.

Teheuti

gregory said:
Did you actually tell her all would be well ? THAT is what I would class as a lie.
I dissembled (which you also classed as a "spoiler"). But I knew I was lying about something I didn't want to see in the cards. I've always felt I deliberately lied to her and I'd do it again. I've tried not to ever put myself in precisely that kind of situation again—a pregnancy is just too vulnerable.

shiresun

LippyCathedral said:
This isn't a book about tarot but i'm sure one that anyone here can appreciate. It's a super spiritual new age book, has anyone ever heard of it?

i think it was big in the early 90's maybe? my mom took a seminar on it with friends back in the day. i think the writting is dry but the messages are refreshing. i really need the sequel books to it. It really opened up my eyes to a new way of looking at the world, it taught me a lot and i recommend it to everyone.

This is very interesting. I read the book when it first came out. I really liked it alot. I got the second book, and maybe there are others in my personal library (still packed away from our move).

There is a website which I found a year or so ago called thecelestineprophecymovie.com because the book was made into a movie. While the books holds far more information, the site has a forum and a lot of information about the books.

What is interesting is that I was searching for a new home page and just about 5 days ago or so, I went and made that site's home page my home page. I have thought about re-reading the books for some time.

I don't know how long ago the first post in this thread was written, but I like the synchonicity.

Namaste

Shire

gregory

October last year, since you ask.

Lillie

Ho hum...

OK.
I just dug out the book.

It does say it's fiction on the printing details page, but the thing is, I am hardly likely to read that before I begin reading a book.

On the back cover it says...

The Celestine Prophesy contains secrets that are currently changing our world. Drawing on the ancient wisdom found in a Peruvian manuscript, it tells you how to make connections between the events happening in your own life right now... and lets you see what is going to happen to you in the years to come.

Later on on the back cover it says that it is a guidebook that has the power to crystalize your perceptions of why you are where you are in life'

And so on.

So, anyway, it does say fiction in very small writing on the publishers page.
So maybe I was stupid thinking it was non fiction when I started, but there isn't anything obvious to the person who is not expecting to have to check the fine print.

I was interested in the Peruvian manuscript.
I wanted to know about it, and I remember he dawning realisation that there was no manuscript and there never had been...

So.
Should I wear the cone of shame?
Or am I just condemned to examine the publishing details of every book before I start reading it?

Also, I would like to point out that this book is never in the fiction section of bookshops, always in the 'mind, body, spirit' section, which lends it an air of veracity.

But whatever.
I said I'd check and I have.

Am I an idiot or would you have been fooled?

gregory

You are an idiot :D - but that has nothing to do with this.

I saw the book in a bookstore just the other day and it would never have occurred to me that it was fiction - it was shelved under philosophy and religion. Fiction is shelved under - well, fiction ! :) And because of this thread I did look carefully - and the only place where it's suggested that it's fiction is in the very small print on that page where books disclaim everything and assert the author's rights and so on. I can't say I look at that at all as a rule.

Keep the cone for someone else. :D I'll let you off, for one.

Teheuti

The book industry is full of such situations and has been from the beginning. Most are not out-and-out deceptions but part of a long tradition of ascribing works to a fictional author or situation. In the field of occult metaphysics it is rampant, so if you are going to be reading much in the field you really should get used to it or, if you don't want to be shocked or offended, either don't read any of it or be prepared to research every work carefully before reading.

Does that mean you should not read Carlos Castaneda or Lynn Andrews or Paul Christian or Antoine Court de Gébelin or The Rosicrucian Manifesto or The Hieroglyphics of Horapollo? I don't think so, but each person must decide for themselves. I do think that everyone should be aware of this trend and should question everything very closely.

In all the works above, the situation is not as it was presented. These authors deliberately created myths (stated as truths) in order to present materials or instruction that was felt to transcend ordinary experience. The approach is used by skeptics and rationalists as proof that the teachings themselves are valueless. Many occultists encourage such a perception because it weeds out those who don't perceive the hidden value. This is at the basis of the principle that alchemical gold comes from that which has been denigrated and thrown out.

Personally, I prefer knowing the difference among historical fact and myths and experiential truths, but in the field of occult metaphysics it's never obvious and everything has to be carefully examined and tried out. Or, as in poetry (especially that poetry that is considered to be deeply connected to prophecy), you can assume a "willing suspension of disbelief."

I really don't recommend reading documents in the field of occult metaphysics if you aren't willing to question everything while still doing the work that goes with it. The trickster is rampant here and nothing is quite as it seems. Otherwise you will be betrayed again and again and again.

Libra8ca

Another fool here :laugh: I thought the ancient Peruvians had written the 10 insights :laugh: Must remember to read the fine print from now on!! However, I think the author / publisher deliberately made in look like a real story :(