Tarot of Prague Cafe Club - Strength

dadsnook2000

Strength re-done as a carving

I have re-carved my ToP Strength figure and painted it differently. These changes follow baba's provision of source artwork for my review. As some of you might remember, Sarah Bernahardt was an actress who was world famous during the latter part of the 1800's and early 1900's. You will notice that I have differed from the card illustration by making the dress completely black while retaining the cream-peach tinged scarf. The card's design had made the dress visible near the lion black for contrast and had left the remainder of the dress the cream-peach like color similar to the source art work. This didn't seem to work with the carving as the eye got confused by the change of dress color.

While I have reshaped the face and eys quite a bit, I'm not yet sure of the eyes. As my skills improve in the execution of these miniature carvings I tend to expect more from myself than what you might find in a typical wood carving. The attachment is a photo taken yesterday with the background removed and the shadow area enhanced. Dave.

Bean Feasa

Wow, dadsnook, what an amazing thing to do! I'm constantly being astounded by the levels of creativity Aeclecticians show. I think the second carving looks much more assured than the first, as if you'd decided much more definitely the colour and shape you were going for and executed it very skilfully, if I may say so.
I think the eyes are good, they have that faraway gaze she has in the card. As if to say - I can do this without even looking. Or is it that she's actually concentrating - calling on her inner strength to accomplish this. Hmmm, not sure about that one.
It's years since I've heard Sarah Bernhardt mentioned. It reminds me of my teenage years - I was a bit of a drama queen and when my mother got fed up of me she used to say things like "And you can drop the Sarah Bernhardt act ... RIGHT NOW!' Lol!

annik

I cannot add anything very interesting about this card. But I like doubling the picture. It kind add something to the whole card.