Thoughts on The Hermetic Tarot

LadyDeborah

Well, this deck that I just got is the most recent and not the preferred cards many of you like best. This deck appears to be a 2006 printing that is "Made in China." I'll keep my eyes open for others. I thought it must have been one of those decks that had been an on-again off-again printing deal. Thanks for all of the information, though. Thanks to you, Pam. Even though I don't have the originals or best printing, I think I will enjoy them.

Le Fanu

This deck appears to be a 2006 printing that is "Made in China."
Does it say "Made" or "Printed" in China on the box? I asked Stuart Kaplan personally if there were any plans to print the Hermetic in China as I was disappointed with the printed in Italy one and he said no, there weren't.

Thanks Chiska for the additional info! Never knew thhat..

Richard

Thanks for all the details everyone. This has been on my wishlist for a while (I love black and white decks), but I put it off due to the poor reviews of the reprint on Amazon.

With the help of this thread, I just managed to snag a used one off Amazon for 12.50 that is the yellow box/Spain printing. I can't wait to get it.

After getting my sticky Renaissance tarot, I am really trying to avoid all US Games decks printed in Italy.
The Spanish printing of the Hermetic is exquisite. I have yet to find a good Italian printing of any USG deck.

Pam O

Hey LadyDeborah, if yours says "made in China", isn't it matte instead of the Italian made shiny one?

I do have the shiny later edition. There is no yellow on that box & the LWB confirms "Made in Italy".

I would never have known all these details about the other editions if you had not posted. I got this as a gift from an AT member and that was very awesome. I've looked through it quite a bit and I keep it with my Thoth decks to use as a reference of the Golden Dawn titles for each card. It seems like there is a lot of info in those cards. Now to try a reading!

Thanks for starting this thread. :) I admit that I do prefer matte decks, so if I can bond with this one, I may just look for the other. We shall see. :)

And garmonbozia, Congrats on your purchase! :thumbsup:

Zephyros

I just got home with this deck, good timing with this thread!

As a matter of fact, I may be doing the Hermetic a disservice, as I don't intend to read with it, strictly speaking, but needed a "purer" Golden Dawn tarot for occult studies, so it's really just a companion deck for the Thoth.

Well, the edition I got is the Italian one, and some of the cards do look a little pixellated, but it doesn't really bother me. It somehow fits in with the rest of the deck, and like I said, I'm willing to overlook a few flubs like this. The actual artwork is magnificent at times, and less at others. Some of the faces look a little caricaturish, and overall the quality of work is uneven. However, this, again, fits in the somewhat Victorian atmosphere, and does not detract (some faces may be better, but I have yet to really study them).

It is difficult to discuss this deck without mentioning the Thoth, and while comparisons may be unfair, the Hermetic could be the answer to those who say the Thoth is "merely" an esoteric deck crammed with symbols. The Hermetic is just as crammed, but all in all it is not as gripping as the Thoth. It doesn't have the same sweep and majesty, but does look like a great deck to study from. One thing I saw immediately was that much of what I thought Golden Dawn was Thelema, and vice versa. I am excited about being able to compare the two. One of the things that make the Thoth different is the undercurrent of Thelema running through it, which makes for a radically different overall message to the deck, i.e., it is"saying" different things. After breaking my head about it, by the way, the Emperor as Heh seems jarring to me, but I'll take 'em as I see 'em, and try to understand that, maybe it'll help me get my head around that double loop.

The Courts are well done, and are different than what I am used to: Knight equals King in other decks while King equals the Prince in the Thoth and Knight in other decks. This is a little confusing, but I'm sure there is a reason for it. In addition, I found a mistake in them, perhaps the first of several as I heard there are a few of them in the deck: Both the Knight (King) and the King (Prince) of cups are marked as Air of Water. Merely a line in the fire-triangle, so I'll fix it with a marker some time.

The minors are "moody pips" and some of them look very nice, others seem copied from the Thoth (they do share the same roots, so this isn't meant to disparage), while there are others I like less, like any deck.

The LWB looks good, but I probably won't pay that much attention to it and will concentrate on Book T, although I will give it a read-through and comparison to the cards, to see if there is anything of interest. The cards are glossy, which fits in well with the whiteness and starkness, but I haven't seen the matte, so I can't compare. Depends on the printing quality, I'm thinking of getting a new Thoth on glossy paper, I kind of like it. The whiteness doesn't bother me, it gives the deck an unusual feel, and makes it special.

I recommend this deck to anyone who wished to study a more or less pure Golden Dawn deck without the added baggage the Thoth lays on, or as a complimentary deck to aid in studies. All in all, I am happy I got it, it will help me with the Thoth, Golden Dawn, Kabbalah, angels, alchemy and... all those dull things I find interesting. This is not the Thoth and will not be my main deck nor will I even read with it, but I feel it is an important deck for any student of the Thoth in particular and the Golden Dawn in general. Also, to anyone with a passing knowledge of any of the popular Golden Dawn decks the Hermetic will be readily accessible, being based on the same esoteric and symbolic vocabularies.

This deck will mark another first for me, I plan to write on it, and perhaps even color some of it :)

garmonbozia

If anyone else is looking for a non-Italy printing, I have had several other sellers respond to my questions since I've ordered my deck.

This is what I emailed several sellers:
"Hello,
Could you tell me in which country this particular deck was printed?
It should say this somewhere on the box, most likely on the lid or on the bottom.
Thanks!"

Below are the non-Italy responses I received back.

KnowledgeSeeker:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...?ie=UTF8&qid=1337220697&sr=8-41&condition=new
"Deck was Printed in Spain by Fournier Vitoria and the Box was printed in USA Distributed Exclusively by US Games Systems, Inc, New York, NY"

dynasoarintl6wxy
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130686976402
"Made in 1979 in China"

Witchcraft Supply and Wicca Store
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...?ie=UTF8&qid=1337221002&sr=8-41&condition=new
"China"

LadyDeborah

The deck I have is in a red, black, and white box. There is no yellow at all. The cards are shiny and the box has copyright dates on it of 1979 and 2006. It says, "Made in China. On the other end of the box it says, "Published by U.S. Game Systems, Inc. Stamford, CT." Now I'm all confused and wonder just what I do have! lol What I like about these cards is that they're the type of artwork that you look at and see something else each time you look. I kept putting off getting the deck because I read the reviews on Amazon that said how bad the cards were in quality, bad printing and all kinds of things. Then I saw more recent reviews that seemed ok so I decided to order. I see nothing wrong at all with the cards. I like the astrological signs on them and though I'm not certain how much reading I will do with them, I really do find them fascinating.

Le Fanu

China? How bizarre...

Forgetting about printing for a moment I wonder if anyone could come forward and say "yes I use this deck as my go-to deck and have done for 30 years"...

I don't know anyone who actually reads with this deck regularly and the sure-fire way to discover is to say "I don't know anyone who reads with this deck regularly."

Richard

China? How bizarre...

Forgetting about printing for a moment I wonder if anyone could come forward and say "yes I use this deck as my go-to deck and have done for 30 years"...

I don't know anyone who actually reads with this deck regularly and the sure-fire way to discover is to say "I don't know anyone who reads with this deck regularly."
I have never used this deck with any regularity. It can be visually stimulating but not consistently so. I can't "read" with it. If the deck leads anyone into Golden Dawn mysticism, then that can do no harm (I hope), but as a Tarot deck it leaves much to be desired.

Chiska

Leffy - I don't use it ALL the time, but I do use it. It is a remarkable deck. It makes one WANT to know more and learn more. There is so much to discover on each card.

For readings I find it quite good. I was a bit surprised actually on that account. I thought it would be HARD to read with, but not really.