Need help deciding on deck to create

Merman

I want to base an entire 78 card deck around a movie. I have so many ideas, I really cannot decide. I just want something specific to start working on, so I can focus more on that specific deck. So I wondered if you all could tell me which one or two you would prefer to see? My ideas for movie themed decks:

The Nightmare Before Christmas Tarot
The Tarot Of The Cell
Maleficent's Tarot
The Little Mermaid Tarot
The Hunger Games Tarot
The Tarot Of Heartless
Beetlejuice Tarot

wooden-eye

Not really sure, and I am not familiar with all the movies, but of the choices, I might go with the Hunger Games; more meat on those bones, if you use the trilogy and a more taroty journey is undertaken. Also you would have the books to refer to.
Are you a painter or a will you use movie stills or digi manipulation?

I pulled a card for you. 6 of Cups.
You will pick the one which most appeals to your inner child and the sense of adventure you had as a kid. The deck will be nostalgic and time spent on it will form a watershed. There is an indulgence of your feminine side. I used the Bonefire deck and the lady sits waist deep in water, she has long red hair. Remind you of a certain movie?

Merman

Are you a painter or a will you use movie stills or digi manipulation?

You will pick the one which most appeals to your inner child and the sense of adventure you had as a kid. The deck will be nostalgic and time spent on it will form a watershed.

The artist is indeed me, I will be painting everything in watercolor.
The film that gives me a sense of adventure/ nostalgia the most is easily The Nightmare Before Christmas.. with it's colorful characters and strange humor. I could certainly make quite a deck from this film.

luxshine

Merman, if The nightmare is not good enough for the 78 cards, you could do a Classic Burton deck, using Beetlejuice, The Nightmare and Edward Scissorhands, maybe?

(And I'm totally stealing your idea of asking for advice, because I'm also stuck on where to begin since I have to ideas equally appealing to me)

Padma

Would you need to get permission from the studios/creators of these films? If you are creating a deck for the public, you might have to do that...always a consideration! Copyright laws and all that...

Still, sounds like great fun! :)

oh and of course, if you are just creating for yourself, then no need to get any permissions!

Merman

Would you need to get permission from the studios/creators of these films? oh and of course, if you are just creating for yourself, then no need to get any permissions!

For now, I am making this deck only for my own use, although I may have 1 or 2 copies of the deck made.

Padma

In that case - I would SO go for the Beetlejuice one! Haha ;)

wooden-eye

Ah so, I picked that 'for now'.
If it turns out really well and you have spent so much time on it, it has consumed your existence. I read somewhere that original art decks take around 1000 hours, I checked out that number. It was bang on. (My deck was on average 12 hours per card x 80= 960+ photoshop, titles etc we are around the 1000.)
So you may well find you want to make more than a few copies, Many decks start like that.. To side-track any possible problems down the line, could you do the deck in the Tim Burton style rather than use actual characters.
I think it is prudent to keep all options open from the beginning.
Maybe you could ask Freder, he recently made an oracle based on the Oz books, though not the movies.

Not trying to put you off though, (as if I could), when there's a Tarot to be made, it will be made.

GotH

Oh I'd love to see a Nightmare Before Christmas deck!

Would Jack be the Emperor and Sally the Empress? Dr. Finkelstein as the Magician? Oogie Boogie as the Devil! Just off the top of my head ideas..

:)

reall

I'd love to see all!^^ lolz

but imo before you decide which deck will you create first?^^
you should keep in mind this will be your first deck and probably *hardest to make!^^ ;))
so you should chose something you will enjoy doing and make it easy as possible!^^
and judging by your username and card wooden-eye pulled for you/6of cups/ even before you say you will use watercolor!^^ I would advise you to reconsider making The Little Mermaid Tarot first?^^ after all ocean is full of creatures and you will surely find inspiration for all your cards there?^^ give it a shot!^^ and then if you think it don't go well/easy swich to other?^^ :))

all best!^^

p.s if possible show us some examples of your style? do you have DAacc?:))
and pay attention to what deck theme would suit your style best?^^ ;))