78 Weeks: Four Batons

jmd

To find out what these threads refer to, please seeThe link above provides suggested dates and links to all threads for this study.

Some amongst us may be working through the deck in a different order, and using different decks.

For more general comments or questions about the 78 weeks, please post in the thread linked above.

Enjoy!

CreativeFire

Four of Wands

Universal Waite

Four wands planted firmly in the ground, standing tall and supporting a canopy of leaves, flowers and fruit. Two people framed by the structure holding their hands in the air, waving garlands of leaves and flowers. All this is outside the walls of a castle or city and there are other people there with them in the background.

My first thoughts with this card is celebration, happiness and joy. It even looks like it could be a wedding or engagement with the two people covered by the fruitful canopy. The yellow background also makes me think of joy and happiness surrounding the people - no clouds looming in the clear, sunlit sky.

This scene could also be some sort of victory party or award ceremony to acknowledge achievement and success of a group, as there is definitely more than one person depicted in this card and therefore does not make me think of a personal success but something that is a combined effort. There is a definite feel of excitement I feel in this card particularly with the main couple raising their hands jubilantly above their heads. Everyone in the card seems to be enjoying the moment of celebration.

Thoth

The Thoth Four of Wands is also known as 'Completion' and is depicted by four wands crossed over in the centre of each to form like a wheel with the eight points. The red wand stems have white alternative doves and ram heads, which then form the yellow circle, against a deep green backgound.

The deep green immediately gives an earthy (grounding) and somewhat more orderly and peaceful feel to this card for me. The colours of fire and flames of creativity do not in this card seem to overwhelming and dominating the image as in the previous Wands cards. There seems to be more control and the balancing of opposites - male (rams head) and female (dove) - creating a completed circle. Can also represent the completion of a phase or cycle with the closing or formation of a circle, with the flames of creativity still burning at the centre.

The balanced wands and circle now look to me like a base upon which more may be built or established - a firm and stable foundation surrounded by an even balance of feminine and masculine energy working together denoted by the Venus symbol at the top and the horns at the bottom.

CreativeFire

cartarum

four of wands

the four of wands is an ideal basically, satisfaction for all concerned. to me, it is lying in bed drinking wine with a beautiful lady or, it is a state of tranquility, perfection, rest, diversion from the daily fuss of life. a completed state
reversed, it is a scratch on a porsche, stretch marks on the belly of a young woman. slight imperfections. something incomplete.

Major Tom

I've had three different versions of the 4 of Batons propped up between my keyboard and monitor during this past week - the Burdel by Lo Scarabeo, the Dusserre Dodal and the US Games/Carta Mundi.

My RWS background and upbringing has conditioned me to talk about celebrations when I look at the 4 of Wands and once again, I'm not really surprised that this is a limited understanding when it comes to the 4 of Batons from the Tarot of Marseilles. Now for me, when it comes to fours, I tend to think of stability and structure - and tend to associate this with the Emperor. So, with 4 Batons I see a very stable way of doing and thinking and producing things. Just looking at the card and the way the batons are interwoven makes me think that the centre would make a very nice seat. :laugh: Certainly a card of satisfaction with life in general. It also reminds that when Emperors are well established they tend to throw parties celebrating their success. ;)

I attach the card I've drawn as part of this week's study.

Attachments

• Four of Batons.jpg
    Four of Batons.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 135

TemperanceAngel

Ooo, Tom, I love this card to!

*TA gives a big thumbs up for the Wands/Bastons*

tmgrl2

Yes, Tom...great coloring! It is rich with "earth" color....green..and heart color ...green

I'm looking now at the Camoin-Jodo Quatre de Baton:

The four is the foundation built from the three's (the trinity card..mind, body , spirit...the idea, the merging and the manifestation) Fours are the four elements of our material world.

Now that I really look at this card for the first time. I notice all of the flowers..if I count each bud, flower, petal ..they add up to the ten. So within the four is the promise of completion, of the 10. I like the way the stems in the center along with the yellow-gold cross-bars of the wands almost form a circle...within which nestles the light and dark blue crossing (forming a "cross") of the baton. The cross is saying to me right now, though, that some suffering is part of what we must encounter on our way to the ten. The passionate red diamond in the center of this "cross" calls up to me the heart. We need to have passion and put our heart into whatever endeavors we have here in this plane in order to learn from the challenges we must face.

The red of the batons also says to me the passion of creativity, the fire that burns within our soul, is what drives us to "make real" those hopes and dreams that come knocking on our doors as we pass through life.

The circle reminds me that all in life is a circle...hints of the Wheel of Fortune with the circle..fate and chance and things not within our control also present to us and it is what we make of what we get, that determines where we end up.

This is a card of the unfolding beauty of life from it's beginning (the four) until it's end (a ten....or two XX's...the Judgment.

tmgrl

rcb30872

Radiant Rider-Waite

Four of Wands

LWB

From the four great staves planted int he foreground there is a great garland suspended, two female figures uplift nosegays and at their side is a bridge over a moat, leading to a manorial house.
Divinatory Meaning
They are for once almost on the surface, country life, repose, concord, harmony, prosperity, peace and the perfected work of these.

My Impressions
This signifies a time when there has been a lot which has been achieved, and it is a time to rest, relax, celebrate and recuperate before continuing on with what needs to be done. It can be seen with this card could indicate well done, you have a done a los tos far. So, in a way, this time can be used to look back at what you have achieved and accompished so far, but it is not over yet. What you have done has required a lot of effort, so this time can be seen as replenishing your energies and other resources. It may be a time which signifies that you may have spent a lot of time on your own doing what you have needed to do, and now it is time to reconnect with friends, family and other loved ones.

In some sense, it could be seen that you are on the threshold of something, as indicated by the garland suspended over the four staves and the bridge that is over the moat leading to the house. So, I guess in that snese it could be seen that you are on the verge of something, whether it is something that you have created or some personal journey of discovery, whatever it may indicate. In some respects, due to the fact that you are so close to the house, it can be seen that you are on the homeward stretch.

Since there is a moat, then it can indicate that water is involved. Water indicates emotions. So, in some sense it could be seen that perhaps it is not an easy thing to do after all that. There are certain things that you may need to face, things that affect your thinking and actions about certain things. It may indicate that there are certain things from your past that may need to be looked at and process in order to keep progressing or make progress, in general. Things which may have happened in your past would impact greatly on your behaviour, your actions and your responses to certain things, without recognising or acknowledging these then it would impact greatly on you, as you would be sabotaging your own efforts. However, onece this done, you can cross the bridge, in a manner of speaking, so that they no longer thwart your efforts or progress.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Golden Tarot of Klimt

4 of Wands

LWB

Agreement, prosperity, successful opportunities and sharing of happiness.

My Impressions
A woman rresting her head on a child's head that she is holding, both appear to be asleep and both are naked. Then it can be seen, looking back at the Ace of Wands where the woman is pregnant, then what was conceived has been given birth, and since the child is not a newborn, although still young, a lot of progress has been made. Since the woman is holding the baby then it would indicate comfort, security, safety, protection and nurturance of something that has been started. As they both have their eyes closed then it is a time to rest, relax and recuperate.

This card could indicate your inner child, where it can be seen that it is time to connect and nurture your inner child. At the same time, it can indicate a new project, creative project, relationship or stage or phase in your lofe. So by nurturing this, you can make sure that it can continue to grow and blossom.

Looking at it in this way, Wands can be seen as a masculine type of card, where you would have the action, eagerness, enthusiasm and optimism, and the woman indicates the feminine side which would indicate emotions, intuition and nurturance. So seen in this context, this card could be saying that the masculine and feminine energies are balanced. So, here you have that there is action been taken to get something started and there is nurturing so that it would be continued, so that it can thrive and grow, like the child.

blackadder

Arthurian Tarot

LWB

The path leads from distant woods, branching off at a settlement. Beside the path stands a garlanded spear.

Arthurian Legend
This card is based on the story of the Stag & Kestrel. Sir Gereint go off on a quest to avenge an insult to Guinevere. Along the way he mets Enide and falls in loves with her and wants to marry her. He successed in his quest and bring Enide back to Camelot and marries her.

Divinatory Meanings
Completion of an enterprise; a time of festival and celebration; enjoyment of the fruits of one's labours; harmonious conclusions; acknowledgement of intuitive strength

My impressions
It a very quiet and respectful party, no drunken stupors and people dancing on tables. Everyone is enjoying themselves and having a good time. You don't see the party on the card, they are inside the houses. The card has a very peaceful feeling about it. Like the quiet after the storm. You have accomplished what you have set out to do and are reaping the rewards for it. It's a time to enjoy your five minutes of fame, before the next challenge.

gregory

Four of Wands - Revelations Tarot
First impressions

VORTEX ! WEIRD – I don’t quite get it. It looks like millions of sheets pf paper….

From the book
Upright

Stability and harmony can be found amongst the endless planes of life.
Your life will be a calm pool with stillness covering its surface. The fires that burn around you will be steady and steadfast, bringing fruition to your life. Here creativity and love will blossom in a gentle cradle of life.
In terms of situations, prosperity and celebration can be found around you. Good harvests, abundant crops, steady profits, and happy returns will find their way to your door. Relationships and partnerships blossom under this cover of harmony.

Reversed
There will be instability through radical change as life breaks away from itself.
Patience is encouraged at this point as things are calming down. The elements are still in flux around you as they begin to form a stable environment. Slow down, stop fidgeting, and allow things to settle themselves. Do not be afraid to take some time out to rest all excess energies.
In situations, this card warns not to be overwhelmed by the noises and rushes that fly around you. All movement here is part of the symphony's crescendo toward a stable, harmonious life. Projects will be incomplete and relationships will feel tense, but not to worry, for they are settling down. Keep vigilant and stay patient as this busy phase will pass.

Images and Symbolism
The constant flow in all directions of the rectangular planes is a metaphoric representation of routine and stability through repetitiveness.
The structured four wands create a band of energy among themselves, which keeps them stable.
The reverse of this card shows a change to this flat plane through a disturbance. The layers begin to break away. This is a metaphoric representation of instability, which comes through change.
Color: warm, golden hues; associated with Leo.

Traditional meanings
Upright:
Achievement in the realm of ideas. Wit, mental brilliance, refinement, culture

Reversed: Decadence, reliance on ceremony and “manners”. Lack of contact with reality; a life full of artificial rules. Snobbishness and unpleasant superiority. Hidebound, conventional.

My impressions:
Upright
Four purplish flame-headed wands are being sucked into a maelstrom of red and yellow rectangles – they look like sheets of paper.

Reversed
The reverse is similar – except that the feeling of energy, maelstrom, is completely lacking. It seems stagnant.

My take
The upright image is full of energy – almost energy out of control, sucking the viewer in. On the other hand the reverse seems strangely flat and unappealing – set in stone, almost. I don’t see it as a lack of stability – almost the contrary ! Similarly, I don’t see the upright image as calm. But the four wands do hold together very solidly.

All the cards from this deck can be viewed here.

coyoteblack

78 week 4of Wands Druidcraft

Physical Description:
On the foreground are 4 poles with a garland on top and a small camp fire in between the poles. There is a path leading from the fire to the house.

Symbols:
Fire: I think this is the key to the card for me it shows a small functional fire very stationary and under control. On the flip side it will burn out if not tended to and it can destroy the garland
Poles/Wands: show the security and stability of the card
Garland: Shows the celebration part of this card
The Path: makes a connection to the house / hearth and the work
House: rest and relaxation the home where we feel safe and secure

Element and Number
Fire: Energy, Willpower, Passion. Work, as in commerce
4: Stability, Security, Stagnation

Golden Dawn References
Traditional name: Lord of perfected work
Days: April 11th - 20th
Astrology: Venus in Aries You create an environment to your liking (Venus) in a direct and forceful way (Aries).
Sephiroth: Chesed Desires or motivations coalesce into specific actions or objects.

Bringing it all together
The House the stable poles the number 4 remind me of stability. The camp fire is work completed and the path to the house show rest after work. the garland is a celebration of some sort. The GD references all point to work completed .The Venus hints at a feeling or lover of some sort. The fire and Aries all point to this not lasting long. And those poles can fall if a good wind blows.

Possible Definitions

Good: Rest and relaxation in that nice comfortable house after completing what ever we celebrated with those garlands. Venus can point to emotions, love this could be a new marriage home
Bad that camp fire needs to be tended or it will go out . This is a small respite e must move forward or the fire will go out or the poles will crash .
Indifferent. waiting , security