78 Weeks: Eight Batons

jmd

To find out what these threads refer to, please seeThe link above provides suggested dates and links to all threads for this study.

Some amongst us may be working through the deck in a different order, and using different decks.

For more general comments or questions about the 78 weeks, please post in the thread linked above.

Enjoy!

CreativeFire

8 of Wands

Sharman-Caselli

I decided to use the Sharman-Caselli this week for the study (instead of my usual Universal Waite), as I really like the image of the 8 of Wands in the S-C deck. It has a man, dressed in a red tunic, holding a bow and shooting eight wands like arrows towards a castle on a distant hill.

There is a lot of action in this card for me and a sense of sending out a lot of different creative energy or ideas towards a goal. Almost like he has all this drive and passion (red tunic) that needs to be out there seeking, looking for a way to be expressed. Expanding ideas, keen to complete a task and trying lots of ways creatively to achieve this.

This card also fits for me for the sending (or receiving) of a message or creative inspiration that will assist in finding the right path for an idea or project. With all the yellow in the background of the card, it makes me think that there is a lot of mental activity surrounding the situation as well. The castle on the hill in the distance represents the goal or ideal that is within reach (can visibly be seen).

Thoth

The Thoth 8 of Wands is called 'Swiftness' and on the card is represented by eight red zig-zag arrows (almost like lightning bolts) that are going in eight different directions from the centre. Also at the top of this card is a rainbow.

This card makes me think of creative ideas that are being sent forth with a lot of energy. Being that they look like lightning bolts to me also could represent that this energy is being sent forth with great speed - the speed of a lightning flash and also charged electrically.

Also at the centre of the card is a square shape and 3d diamond shape, with the red arrows coming from the centre, which makes me think of creative ideas breaking through boundaries of some sort to 'think outside of the square' to solve a problem or make progress towards a goal (rainbow).

CreativeFire

Attachments

• sc_w8.jpg
    sc_w8.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 194

tao51

Eight of wands

So, seven wands blocks by way! My eighth was will have my say! My wand, as you see, is destined for victory! Time and patience is the play, that will guide this glorius day!--Tao

Major Tom

Once again I've spent this period of study with my three versions of the Tarot of Marseilles. (I've about decided it is time to invest in at least two more versions. :laugh: )

My RWS upbringing has taught me that the 8 of Wands is about projects and having lots of things going on all at once. Oddly enough, during this period of study I find that I have lots of things going on too.

Once again, I find the RWS limiting when compared to the meanings I can find in the Marseilles. I associate the number 8 with Justice, and I can see considerable balance in the 8 of Batons. My numerology book tells me that 8 is the number of material success. So by combining the ideas of Justice, material success and passionate thought/activity, I come up with meanings ranging from dipolmacy and managerial action to just plain having a lot of projects on the go. ;)

I attach the version of the card I've drawn this week.

Attachments

• eight of batons.jpg
    eight of batons.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 176

rcb30872

Radiant Rider-Waite

Eight of Wands

LWB

The card represents motion through the immovable - a flight of wands through an open country.
Divinatory Meaning
Activity in undertakings, the path of such activity, swiftness as that of an express messenger in great haste, great hope, speed toward an end which promises assured felicity, that which in on the move, also the arrows of love.

My Impressions
The fact that the wands or staves themselves are travelling through the air, in a manner of speaking, then it could be seen that any thoughts, ideas and concepts that have been conceived have been put into action. Since the wands are coming from higher up than the end of the wands, looking at them in the direction left to right, then you can imagine that these ideas, thoughts and concepts have come from higher thoughts, the higher consciousness. Or to put it in another way that they are high ideals that have been worked on.

The fact that the wands are all travelling in the same direction then it can be seen that these actions are towards reaching the same end point, so to speak. The fact that they are all going in the same direction indicating that things are running smoothly, in the sense that there are no obstacles or difficulties that are in the way of these actions. To look at the card and the eight wands themselves can indicate steps that have been or need to be taken toward the end result. The spacings between the steps are relatively uniform although the first and second are a greater distance apart that the other two groups, and there is a spacing between the first and second; and the third and fourth; and the remainder. Which in some respects cit could indicate the more steps that are taken the ease or the distance between the latter stages are shorter, meaning that the likelihood of success at this stage is very good, and that the success itself seems imminent.

By looking at the wands themselves, there does seem to be some slight and some obvious length differences of the wands. In some respect, if you look at the wands as being either spears or arrows, then it can be seen that some will reach their target and others will fall short of their target. Even though in some cases when it is better to act before thinking too much about things, but in other cases soem thought needs to be taken as to think about how you are going to act, such as in the planning or strategics. Hence, although some cases it doesn't matter to be too hasty about things, in some cases it clearly does matter that if things are done in too much of a rush, you may lose your focus and will not have a proper view of your goal, in a manner of speaking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Golden Tarot of Klimt

8 of Wands

LWB

Motion, activity, dynamism and blending of activities.

My Impressions
There are three women in this card, there are two standing in line with each other, where one is front and one is behind where they are facing the right, the one in front is looking straight ahead and the one behind is what can be seen to be looking over her shoulder, where they have their hands outstetched out right above their heads and their hands are touching. The other woman is above the head of the woman at the back, she has her eyes closed facing the left and seems to be hugging herself. The background of which are lightish in colour and is rich in patter. The eight wands are to the right of the card with a dark, an almost black, background, with specks also, in the background.

In that sense the two women can be seen to be working in unison to reach a certain goal. Since their hands are outstretched about their heads indicates that they are reaching for the highest goal, or in some respect, the sky. In some respect the three woman can be considered to be the same person, as in the stages or phases or even steps that have been or need to be taken. If that is the case, then it can be seen that it could be starting of by the fact that there is some sort of dream to do something to begin with. The next stage would be considered beginning to work on it, but looking back may indicate a certain degree of uncertainty. Then the next stage is looking straight ahead which would indicate that they have their view, intently and solely on the goal, And as the eight wands are in the darker part of the card can indicate that the end point is still not known but there seems to be the hope and faith that things will turn out alright in the end. Since the wands are quite light compared to the background may indicate that the steps and the actions that will be and need to be taken towards the goal will be made clear when the time is right. In that case, it could indicate that even though things are uncertain and unclear, things will become clear when it is time to make that certain step.

Crowqueen

CreativeFire said:
Sharman-Caselli

I decided to use the Sharman-Caselli this week for the study (instead of my usual Universal Waite), as I really like the image of the 8 of Wands in the S-C deck. It has a man, dressed in a red tunic, holding a bow and shooting eight wands like arrows towards a castle on a distant hill.

It is one of the few cards in the S-C deck that really speak to me (the other one being the 2 of Swords, which is on the box and inspired me to buy the deck in the first place).

Perhaps that is the reason I find it more expressive - that I myself feel this kind of challenge. Though I must admit it has never yet come up in any readings for me, whether in my own or others'.

gregory

Eight of Wands - Revelations Tarot

First impressions
Everything is crossed – they all seem to look a bit trapped and intertangled

From the book
Upright

They are carried through the skies with their wands, taking them to new horizons and experiences.
Swift movement brings you to where you want to be. You'll find all around you - people and processes - speeding you along to your final destination. Friends will drive you there, generous souls will fund your financial needs, and good for¬tune will find you landing in happier times. This card also advises taking the bull by the horns and pushing your way through with haste, for you are also responsible for your own path.
Workmates and colleagues will lend a helping hand in any given situation. Seek to speed things up, for they may be moving too slowly. Tap into the energy or creative juices to find a quicker path to achieve your goals. In relation¬ships, you may also find yourself in a whirlwind romance, which will barely give you time to catch your breath by the time it ends.

Reversed
They move through the skies with hesitation. They keep their counsel close and their eyes watchful.
The reverse of this card warns against moving through with any great speed. Movement is still advised to get to your final destination, but hesitation and caution is advised The path may be dogged with difficulties and bums, and caution may save you from facing them. Be aware of your limitations but push to achieve your goal.
The atmosphere surrounding your current situation should be observed for impediments or blocks. Sometimes these may manifest in strikes, demonstrations, or natural disasters that you may not be able to overcome. Persevere and move forward or around. This card also warns of stepping too quickly into arrangements and contracts, so allow time to deal with the natural path of things.

Images and Symbolism
They channel the energies of the wands to move forward and upward. The image gestures toward movement away ¬and utilizing the power from within.
On the reverse, they move forward with their wands crossed for protection. The hesitation and caution in movement means that there will be a delay in their journey
Color: royal purples and sapphire blues, associated with Sagittarius.

Traditional meanings
Upright:
Hopeful change, movement, activity; end to delays and speeding up of everything. A good time to take the initiative and seize opportunities. Important journeys – perhaps overseas. Suggests conditions which can lead to success rather than success as such.

Reversed: Driving energy which dissipates – peaking too soon. Impetuous actions which lead to failure. Wasted effort.

My impressions:
Upright
Two figures – look male – in red and gold body hugging clothing and with robotic expressions each hold a flaming wand in each hand. They look detached and powerful. Behind them is a rising swirling purple background, spreading out and growing.

Reversed
Another two robotic figures, this time in purple and turquoise, but their two wands each are crossed in front of them, and they almost appear to be trying to fight past the wands they hold. The background looks like purple rain, and drains away into the other end of the card.

My take
I can’t see this card in the upright aspect as at all like the traditional meaning of deferred success; it does look like the exercise of power. I would have real trouble trying to read anything from this image, and goodness knows I’ve tried ! I can’t see the aspects described in the book, either. The reverse aspect, on the other hand matches up quite well, especially the way the two figures seem to be trying to fight their way out of themselves – wasted effort indeed – and the way the background is draining away.

All the cards from this deck can be viewed here.

coyoteblack

8 of wands DC 78 weeks

sweet I have a cp and time again after my move so here we go again

78 weeks 8 of wands
Physical description:
We have a young man throwing a javelin while on a hill. He is throwing it out in the air I can’t tell if he is aiming or just throwing it willy-nilly. He has a tribal tattoo on the outside left forearm.
Symbols:
Youth: Youthful exuberance and energy, in experience
Javelin in the air: ideas are going forward and moving fast but this will also end fast
Tattoo: Deeper meaning to these things is not always what it seems
Element and number:
Fire: Energy, Willpower, Ideas
Eight: movement solitary success
Golden dawn References:
GD Name Lord of swiftness
Days: Nov 23rd -Dec 2nd
S p h e re 8
Hod. For the moment the thought obscuring clouds have parted and you are able to think and plan with remarkable clarity and speed.

Astrology
Mercury in Sagittarius. The far-ranging and expansive effects (Sagittarius) which are felt when your mind is working at its peak capacity (Mercury). Many books also say mercury is a detriment is mercury because all this energies will be disbanded quickly with the archer pointing elsewhere.

Bringing it all together:
Mercury, Fire, #8, the picture all remind us why this is the card is called lord of swiftness. The youth and the fact that the javelin will fall equally fast reminds us this will go as quick as it comes and it can lack direction. The archer is key in this s Sagittarius is directing the energy outward with direction but also the quickness of mercury will be disbanded fast as well.
Possible meanings
Good : ideas are finally hitting earth this are moving fast towards a conclusion.
Bad: mind is scattered, lack of direction. Energy can disband quickly the fire will go out.
Indifferent: Movement, Fast conclusion.

Sulis

Eight of Wands - week beginning 7th March 2011

Eight of Wands - Hoi Polloi Tarot
This is one of the simplest images in the whole deck. Here we see 8 budding wands flying through the sky. They are well organised, none of them are crossing and they are all angled slightly downwards as if they are coming to the end of their flight.

The number 8
Eight in Tarot is the number of the Major Arcana card Justice. Eight represents Universal balance and when placed on it's side it gives us the lemniscate or infinity sign - it goes round and round, crossing in the middle so that it looks balanced and has no beginning and no end.
With the number 8 we begin to see the results of our actions, we start to reap what we have sown.
Eights are about harvest, results, balance and organisation.
Eights are also two fours so are very stable yet there is movement there - think again of that lemniscate and the way the energy moves around the central fixed point. So to me the number 8 speaks of movement yet with stability and balance so maybe movement towards balance..

With the 8 of Wands we see fast movement towards our goals. Things, like the image shows are falling into place. This is a card which says that quick action is needed or is happening and that results will soon be seen. This is also a card that often speaks of communication, particularly communication involving technology so could be talking about phone-calls, emails or text messages.
This could also be about passion that arrives quickly and so it can be about falling in love or falling in lust.

Attachments

• 8 of Wands.jpg
    8 of Wands.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 155

gregory

Thoth

Card name: Eight of Wands:

First impressions

Crowned by a rainbow, eight zigzag lines with arrows at their ends radiate from the centre of a sort of blocky rainbow 8 pointed star. At the top corners are the glyphs for Mercury and Sagittarius.

From the Book of Thoth
SWIFTNESS - EIGHT OF WANDS

The remaining three cards of the suit belong to Sagittarius, which represents the subtilizing of the Fiery energy; and Mercury rules the card, thus bringing down from Chokmah the message of the original Will.

The card also refers to Hod, splendour, in the suit of Fire, whence it refers to the phenomena of speech, light, electricity.

The pictorial representation of the card shows the Light-wands turned into electrical rays, sustaining or even constituting Matter by their vibrating energy. Above this restored universe shines the rainbow; the division of pure light, which deals with maxima, into the seven colours of the spectrum, which exhibit interplay and correlation.

This card, therefore, represents energy of high velocity, such as furnishes the master-key to modern mathematical physics.
It will be noted that there are no flames; they have all been taken up into the wands to turn them into rays. On the other hand, the electric energy has created intelligible geometrical form.

Images and Symbolism
Frieda Harris says in her essays:
Eight of Wands=Swiftness. Hod in the suit of Fire. Mercury in Sagittarius.
This card represents the Light-Wands turned into electrical rays constituting matter by their energy. Above this restored Universe is the Rainbow, representing interplay and correlation. IT also shows the energy of high velocity.
Also:
Eight of Wands=Swiftness. Mercury in Sagittarius. Hod.
The wands have turned into electric energy, above is a rainbow. Here we have the acme of restless force.
Snuffin says that what I saw simply as a blocky star is a star - constructed from two overlapping pyramids. The arrowheads mark off the corners. And yes, the faint lines on the card are clearly pyramids, now that it is pointed out to me :D
The rays are electric, and symbolise Mercury, ruler of communications and technology, reminding is that electricity enables us to communicate at lightning speeds ! (and that way back when !)
He says that the colours of the rainbow can be seen in liquid mercury. I’d have to have some to see. :)
The pyramids symbolise Chesed, and reflect the rainbow colours. The square one is painted in the colours of Malkuth and the diamond shaped has no actual pattern. Why not ? And the apexes are offset top indicate the difficulty of bringing the energies into manifestation. I don’t actually know what that means. Maybe I will get it later.
As for Banzhaf – I hope the work kife is a misprint for life, or I am lost… Anyway – he says the cards shows lightning as a symbol of the electrifying idea, and that exchanges happen within the electrical impulses in the brain. These explode previous thought patterns.

Meaning (cribbed from Wasserman)
Swiftness. Speech, light, electricity, energy of high velocity, activity, approach to goal, letter or message, rapidity, too much force applied too suddenly, a flash in the pan, boldness, freedom.
DuQuette
Hasty communications and messages; swiftness.
Too much force applied too suddenly. Very rapid rush, but quickly passed and expended. Violent but not lasting. Swiftness, rapidity, courage, boldness, confidence, freedom, warfare, violence; love of open air, field-sports, gardens and meadows., Generous, subtle, eloquent, yet somewhat untrustworthy; rapacious, insolent, oppressive. Theft and robbery. According to dignity.
Traditional meanings – From Thirteen’s book of meanings:
Eight wands cut across the sky. When we finally put to use our human intellect to manage our energy, we find that we can really speed things up. This isn't about "taming" the energy, but rather avoiding waste and making the best use of it. This is our example of banking the fire so that we have more heat and light.
Another example would be knowing when to speed up on a highway and when to slow down. If we speed all the time, we may spin out of control on curves and crash. This way we not only get where we're going but often get there faster than those moving at top speed.
This card predicts fast developments, fast travel, things happening quickly and competently. Nothing wasted. Whatever is going on, the querent won't need to worry about it being on time, it should arrive early. Things will get done quickly and will develop in a speedy manner with energy to spare. This will be, in part, because they understand how their energy works, and how to limit it so as to get the most out of it.
My impressions (appearance of the card):
The first thing I thought of was one of those electrical diagrams we used to have to draw in physics. I didn’t like them then and I still don’t. Artistically this card felt kind of lazy. I know it isn’t; that was just a gut feeling. There is just so much less ARTISTRY in it than in most others, to my mind. The rainbow also feels out of place. Once the electrical storm is OVER maybe – but not during it ! This is not a card I like the LOOK of at all. Not threatening or anything – it just isn’t attractive, to me… Which figures as I hated physics !

My take (what I make of it/what I might see in a reading where I drew it)
I’d see this as fizzing with energy; but scattered in all directions, and in need of more focus. And that the rainbow represents something which can be achieved after the fizzing settles down and there’s a bit more grounding. Too much too fast otherwise, leading to a mess.