78 Weeks: Three Deniers/Coins

jmd

To find out what these threads refer to, please seeThe link above provides suggested dates and links to all threads for this study.

Some amongst us may be working through the deck in a different order, and using different decks.

For more general comments or questions about the 78 weeks, please post in the thread linked above.

Enjoy!

CreativeFire

Three of Pentacles

Still catching up with posting my notes. :)

Using the Universal Waite and a few other decks again for my study / thoughts on the 3 of Pentacles.

My first thoughts when looking at this card are about 'working together' to create, build or grow something. Also being a 3 - I connect this card to the Empress when it comes to creation and growth.

Working together involves many things: from having a common goal; inspiring each other; communicating ideas; planning how to do things and who will do what; giving and receiving feedback on progress, replanning when issues or hiccups arise. Also co-operation, helping each other out and providing or giving support when needed to make things happen or work out properly. Having worked in close team environments, I know that you can't just throw say 3 people together and expect them to overnight achieve tasks. It takes time to build an effective team, also committment and attention to not only the big picture but also the details of how people can best work together. Recognising peoples strengths and skills and having them complement each other to bring about the desired results.

In the Universal Waite you see three people in a building (church or abbey even), it looks like one is monk or priest, another an architect and one a tradesman or stonemason. They seem to be talking together as to what is wanted, looking at the plans, and viewing the almost completed work. The card shows that the work is still underway but is coming to fruition, so it represents to me the success and value of working together with a group, team, friends or family to achieve goals.

In my version of the 3 of Pentacles, I used a different type of scene to represent people working together. Showing three people working together in a herb garden, to grow, water, tend and pick their crop.

CreativeFire

Attachments

• 3pents.jpg
    3pents.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 97

gregory

Three of Pentacles - Revelations Tarot

First impressions
Sculpting among skyscrapers – a very odd image.

From the book
Upright

He works hard at his task to achieve his dreams.
Hard work and determination will be the source of rewards. The act of creation-to bring something to this world will be reward enough for you. Here your skills and knowledge will be put to good use. You will thrive in your chosen profession because it is your passion that fuels your desire and not the financial reward. All efforts will be rewarded.
In situations, this card foretells the investment of labor needed to reach determined goals. Teamwork and constant contribution will lead to fulfilling rewards. Finished projects will be works of art in and of themselves. The surrounding atmosphere will be one of constant improvement and the bettering of the self. New personal bests will be reached and broken. In relationships, this card encourages you to push past the comfort of each other to find a whole new level of connection.

Reversed
Complacency and lack of drive or recognition has left the work and himself idle and incomplete.
The reversed Three of Pentacles shows a lack of productivity through boredom and low drive. A fear of failure through pushing one's limits can cause this hindrance. External forces may make you feel unworthy of accomplishing your goals, disregarding your talents and leaving them to waste. Everything moves slowly around you and eventually comes to a grinding halt.
Projects stay in initial stages and situations feel stagnant. A stalemate has been reached within yourself or with others, forcing production to cease. Idle hands and workers add to low morale and motivation. Relationships feel like they have not progressed, and routine and familiarity breed contempt.

Images and Symbolism
The teeming city behind the man tells of the level of achievement he can reach if he works hard at his goals.
On the reverse, the scaffolding in the background indicates the beginning of construction, and it plays on the notion that the nature of construction is temporary. Nothing is produced.
Color: gold and greens, colors of the earth and of Capricorn.

Traditional meanings
Upright:

The card of the master craftsman. turning skill and effort into money. Successful progress in business and commerce.
Reversed:
Misapplication of effort. Talents misused.

My impressions:
Upright
A robot-like man is chipping away at a pentacle with a hammer. Behind him a cityscape of skyscrapers. He looks happy and fulfilled.

Reversed
No effort here – the guy is asleep on the job ! And what’s behind him is a lot of ladders – a deconstructed city.

My take
Upright – hard work brings its own rewards – what else can I say,. He is happy, fulfilled, doing his job, and in a prosperous environment. The reverse is exactly the opposite – laziness leads to poverty. The card is economical of expression, but it’s all there !

All the cards from this deck can be viewed here.

gregory

Thoth

Card name: Three of Disks

First impressions

On a background of greenish waves, three red wheels form the corners of a triangular pyramid which looks as though it is opening up along its seams. Sigils of Mars and Capricorn, in dark red.

From the Book of Thoth

THE FOUR THREES

These cards are referred to Binah; in each of them is expressed the symbolism of Understanding. The idea has become fertilized; the triangle has been formulated. In each case, the idea is of a certain stability which can never be upset, but from which a child can issue.

The Three of Wands is accordingly the Lord of Virtue. The idea of will and dominion has become interpreted in Character.
The Three of Cups is called the Lord of Abundance. The idea of love has come to fruition; but this is now sufficiently far down the Tree to introduce a very definite differentiation between the suits, which was not previously possible.

The idea of division, of mutability, the idea of the airy quality of things, manifests itself in the Three of Swords, the Lord of Sorrow. Here one is reminded of the darkness of Binah, of the mourning of Isis; but this is not any vulgar sorrow dependent upon any individual disappointment or discontent. It is Weltschmerz, the universal sorrow; it is the quality of melancholy.
The Three of Pentacles, in a similar manner, exhibits the result of the idea of Earth, of the crystallization of forces; and so the Three of Pentacles is called the Lord of Work. Something has definitely been done.

WORK THREE OF DISKS

The influence of Binah in the sphere of Earth shows the material establishment of the idea of the Universe, the determination of its basic form. It is ruled by Mars in Capricornus; he is exalted in that Sign, and therefore at his best. His energy is constructive, like that of the builder or engineer. The card represents a pyramid viewed from above the apex. The base is formed by three wheels-Mercury, Sulphur, and Salt; Sattvas, Rajas, and Tamas in the Hindu system; Aleph, Shin, and Mem-Air, Fire, and Water-the three Mother letters of the Hebrew alphabet.

This pyramid is situated in the great Sea of Binah in the Night of Time, but the sea is solidified; hence the colours of the back- ground are mottled, a cold thin dark grey with a pattern of indigo and green. The sides of the pyramid have a strong reddish tint, showing the influence of Mars.

Images and Symbolism

Frieda Harris says in her essays:

Three of Disks = Work. Binah in the element of Earth. Mars in Capricornus.
This card represents a pyramid viewed from above. The base is formed of three wheels which typify Mercury, Sulphur and Salt, Sattva, Rajas, and Tamas, Aleph, Shin, and Mem. This means the material establishment of the idea of the universe.
(The card title is actually "Works.")
Also:
Three of Disks = Work. Mars in Capricornus. Binah.
A Three-dimensional pyramid is looked at from above. It is placed on three wheels on which are the signs for mercury, sulphur and salt, a fundamental analysis of the components of earth according to the alchemists.

The title – Works, as opposed to what Crowley and Frieda both refer to as Work, probably comes from the card’s original title: Lord of Material Works. DuQuette says the card is “the very heart of the three-stroke engine that drives the universe” – which could also relate, in a different universe, to the Trinity ! DuQuette says the pyramid is viewed from above and is in a desert representing the sea of Binah; he describes it as grey sand dunes formed by blasts of energy emanating from the pyramid, which is supported by three great wheels. He also points out that in the wheel hubs appear the symbols of the alchemical elements of mercury, sulphur and salt, suggesting “the eternal universe-sustaining competition of the three gunas of the Hindu system.”
In Samkhya philosophy, there are three major guṇas that serve as the fundamental operating principles or 'tendencies' of prakṛti (universal nature) which are called: sattva guṇa, rajas guṇa, and tamas guṇa. The three primary gunas are generally accepted to be associated with creation (sattva), preservation (rajas), and destruction (tamas) (see also Aum and Trimurti). The entire creation and its process of evolution is carried out by these three major gunas.

More details are here.
This seems to make a lot of sense.

Banzhaf refers to the pyramid as being one of light; it doesn’t look that way to me; the shading seems wrong. What it most reminds me of is the folded paper of those cootie catchers/fortune tellers that we all made as children. It does look as though it is opening at the folds. The trinity is the alchemical one of body, soul and mind (sulphur, salt and mercury). The pyramid is, says Banzhaf, “on the ocean of the eternal from which the visible forms representing our reality emerge, yet without being the all-inclusive reality”. He also points out that the three wheels correspond to the three circle sin the centre of the Ace of Disks, which symbolise the law of life.
The card links the material intent of the Two and the completed materialisation of the four (which I have yet to discover !) It is the beginning of the building of the wall behind which the ego in the four can entrench itself.
Snuffin is the only writer (other than Crowley himself !) to suggest that the sea is solidified and frozen; he says it is due to the influence of Capricorn, which marks the Winter Solstice, and that the ice has melted around the wheels and the pyramid, because of the fiery energy of Mars.

Meaning (cribbed from Wasserman)
Works. Business. Paid employment. Commercial transaction. Constructive building up. Increase of material things. Growth. Commencement of matters to be established later. Ill- dignified: Selfish, narrow, prejudiced, greedy person seeking impossibilities.

DuQuette
Business, paid employment, commercial transaction.
Working and constructive force, building up, creation, erection; realization and increase of material things; gain in commercial transactions, rank; increase of substance, influence, cleverness in business, selfishness. Commencement of matters to be established later. Narrow and prejudiced. Keen in matters of gain; sometimes given to seeking after impossibilities.

Traditional meanings – From Thirteen’s book of meanings:
THREES
We had one, indivisible thing, a stirring. We thought that one was good; then we noticed it's other side, the Hyde to Dr. Jekyll, the yin to the yang. We needed to see both sides in order to understand it and know how to develop it.
So we understand this passion, emotion, idea or work that we've taken up. We have decided to put our energy, feelings, brainpower or work into it. Our next move, of course, is for us to do just that and develop it, create a third corner. One that will, balance out the other two, form a triangle and allow for evolution and growth.
Ruling over the threes is the Empress whose card is about newborn things, which must be nursed and babied. As the twos were the fact-finding period, the period or hammering out the details, putting off the decision or making the decision, threes are about using that knowledge to take the first step or get the first results. It is about improvising our way through those early times of fragile development.
Three of Pentacles
A craftsman shows off his work of three pentacles to his patrons. This is sometimes known as the "craftsman's card," and it relates to doing a job so well or uniquely that it gains patronage. Some readers find this card confusing as it shows a "master" craftsman at Three, but the card of apprenticeship is at Eight. Shouldn't "apprenticeship" come first?
Actually, the Three of Pentacles isn't really about being a master of your craft, and the Eight of Pentacles, when it's about apprenticeship, is usually about learning something new and different. So cards are not as out of order as they seem.
We will get to the Eight later, but for right now it's important to understand that the focus of the Three of Pentacles isn't on the craftsman. It's on the investors. We might well be reminded of two young men who created one of the first desktop computers in their garage. They weren't master computer-makers at the time, but their product caught the attention of investors and they were able to put their work and time into making more.
This is what the card is all about. The querent is or will be given the money or opportunity to nurture and develop something. A friend might give them funding, or their boss might give them more time to work on a project. Health wise, this card can also indicate positive results from a new exercise program or therapy. That initial bout of work has paid off.

(I include Thirteen’s meanings here, but the way, as while someone else was adding them to her Thoth posts, I found them enlightening in context, even though the descriptions are way different !)

My impressions (appearance of the card):
As I said, the pyramid itself immediately made me think of those old paper fortune telling things. It looks as though it is opening up – I can’t see why no-one else seems to see it this way – as though it is cracking open. In an odd sort of way the whole card almost looks like an eye. The wheels look like rafts on which the pyramid floats, rather than working machinery. The sea does look like the sea you get around icebergs, in the Arctic, or on a frozen lake – the same kind of frozen waves.

My take (what I make of it/what I might see in a reading where I drew it)
It looks like the eternal triangle, in a way; three possibilities, nothing to choose between them, and emptiness if you don’t pick one. I’d see it as a multitude of possibilities, but a hard time to be had, making the choice.

jackdaw*

Three of Pentacles (Rider Waite Tarot)

First Impressions
A gray stony card. A mason stands on a bench and works with maul and chisel on an elaborate stone archway within a gray brick wall. Two men stand on the ground just behind him, and he looks a little annoyed and/or impatient with the interruption. One, a tonsured monk in long gray habit, looks up with a sort of skeptical expression. The second wears a long voluminous cloak - it’s orange with a sort of red pattern - with a long hood over his head like the one the boy wore in the Six of Cups.

The more exotically attired man holds a blueprint of this very archway. It’s a very fancy piece of work. One big archway with a pointed top that encompasses two smaller arches of similar shape. The central space between the three points of the arches is elaborately carved with three open pentacles supported by what might be fleurs de lis, and a five-pointed rose is below this arrangement. The space behind the arches and the people fades away to blackness.

Looking at this card, my eye is drawn to the expressions of the three figures. The central figure seems to be the craftsman; his expression is like a sort of “Now what? Can’t you see I’m busy? This better not be more *#%!ing changes, I’m behind as it is …” Whereas the monk seems to be saying “Well, this isn’t right, it’s not at all what I told you I wanted, and it’s sloppy anyway, poor workmanship, I don’t think we’re getting our money’s worth out of this and I will have to speak to the Abbott about it.” The guy with the cloak, who I take to be the money guy, the wealthy merchant who’s financing the whole operation, is saying “But it’s really just a small change. It’ll only take you a second, really. The Cathedral I visited on the Continent had these beautiful flying buttresses, and the keystone was carved in the most charming fashion. I don’t see why you can’t incorporate that into this here. See, I’ve taken the liberty of putting these plans together for you …”

Now I’m a little confused. Because I always viewed this card as meaning that one’s hard work and skill is to be recognized. But now I am not so sure. Because the dialogue I envision going on here seems to say something entirely different. Putting one’s work out there, for good or for ill.

Creator’s Notes
Waite says of this card:
Waite said:
A sculptor at his work in a monastery. Compare the design which illustrates the Eight of Pentacles. The apprentice or amateur therein has received his reward and is now at work in earnest.
In The Pictorial Key to the Tarot Waite begins at the King of each suit and works his way back to the Ace. So the apprentice of the Eight of Pentacles practicing his solitary skill would naturally fall before the master mason of the Three of Pentacles.

Others’ Interpretations
Waite goes on to interpret this card as thus:
Waite said:
Divinatory Meanings: Métier, trade, skilled labour; usually, however, regarded as a card of nobility, aristocracy, renown, glory. Reversed: Mediocrity, in work and otherwise, puerility, pettiness, weakness.
Nope. Don’t agree. Well, the first three keywords, yes. But nobility, aristocracy, renown, glory? Where is that in the face of this harassed craftsman?

In her Learning the Tarot course, Joan Bunning saw this card as:
Bunning said:
[…]The Three of Pentacles is one of the cards in the Tarot that focuses on the group. (The Three of Cups and the Hierophant are the others.) As Pentacles are grounded and practical, this card represents a task-oriented team - people who are working cooperatively toward a common goal. There are few jobs that can be accomplished alone. We need the help of others to achieve our goals. Sometimes the Three of Pentacles is a sign that you will be more productive if you work with others. You don't have to do it all by yourself.

This card can also show a need for planning and preparation. Now is not the time to rush into something or begin a project with only a vague idea of what it's about. You need to think everything through, go over all the possibilities and make sure you work out the details. Do your homework, and your undertaking will flourish.

Another feature of the Three of Pentacles is competence - the ability to get the job done. How rare this is nowadays! This card tells you that you have the skills and knowledge you need. You can attract capable people and create a successful environment. Know that the situation is (or will be) in good hands, but be sure to concentrate on excellence in your work. Be proud of what you do and how you do it. Then you will accomplish your "impossible" mission.
Now, I don’t know if I agree so much with Bunning’s assessment of the three cards she mentions as focusing on groups. The Hierophant seems to deal with society, societal expectations in general, but I never viewed it specifically as relating to groups. And the Three of Pentacles? I see it as pertaining to one individual’s response to input from outside influences. Whether it’s feedback and constructive criticism or praise and recognition of his skill, it still doesn’t quite tick the boxes for “working cooperatively toward a common goal”.

Symbols and Attributions
Astrologically the Three of Pentacles falls in the second decan of Capricorn. Those more in the know than I say that the Golden Dawn actually links it to Mars in Capricorn. When the fiery and masculine energy of Mars combines with the stolid practicality of Capricorn, there is bound to be great energy to accomplish much. But beware - I can see that there might also be great ego, clashes of will as well!

Elementally Pentacles are an Earth-bound suit, greatly occupied with practical matters such as work and property. Numerologically this card is Three. Sandra A. Thomson says:
Thomson said:
Tarot threes refer to increased understanding and confidence as a result of having resolved, perhaps only temporarily, the conflict reflected by the twos. Threes may call for re-adjusting some of our plans.
This is literally illustrated here by the architect with the blueprints; we can only assume from the mason’s annoyed expression that their contents are calling for an overhaul of the work he has done, or at least is making more work for him now at the eleventh hour. So together the Three of Pentacles would link to an increased confidence in his work, and possible changes to be made to it. This ties in to the traditional Golden Dawn title of this card: The Lord of Material Works.

Waite said that this scene takes place in a monastery. In medieval times a monastery was much more of a community than we envision today, often revolving around an adjacent church and consequently the busy hub of the community. Hence a meeting of three individuals from disparate walks of life would not be out of line.

There’s not enough of the scene showing to determine whether this little party is meeting outside the monastery or not, but I am definitely getting an indoor vibe. So this must be an archway from an open area of the monastery or church to smaller or more private sections. Some have suggested that the two archways contained within the bigger overarching one represents two paths, and so choice. I don’t think I agree with that assessment. It’s more stylistic to me, like double French doors, just allowing for better traffic flow. Archways, as we found in the Ace of Pentacles, represent passage or portals. But notice how these arches give way to impenetrable darkness. It represents the unknown or the misunderstood. But the mason is doing his best to dispel that; notice how his carvings attempt to bring as much daylight into the darkness as possible. His carvings are open and airy. And now he appears to be doing some minor work to the wall within, as if he’s completing the hallway into the darkness, providing guidance through the darkness that he isn’t able to dispel. The mason doesn’t know the answers - he can’t turn on the lights - but he can shed some more light on the matter and provide a wall to guide them through.

Four fleurs de lis support the carved stone pentacles, and a five-petalled rose is below, surrounded by five leaves. Roses and lilies are very common symbols in the Rider Waite Tarot; they are said to represent the occult way (roses, especially red roses) and the mystic way (lilies). The five-petalled rose shown here is a very common Rosicrucian symbol whose five petals represent the five senses and so ties back to the Earth element of the suit of Pentacles. Lilies, even in this stylized heraldic form as the fleur de lis, is a symbol of illumination. Perhaps a more symbolic way to represent the light the mason is letting into the dark space beyond the archway?

One more interesting little oddity, and I’ll get on to the people. Notice the positioning of the Roman numeral III for this card, how it falls right at the keystone of the main archway; its top and bottom crossbars (or whatever you call them) in fact connects the edging on the archway. Is the numerological aspect, the III, the literal keystone of this card? In the Major Arcana, the Empress is card III; her creativity (which she expresses as fertility) is key here. The craftsman’s practicality and his ability to create this arch and presumably this building, is crucial.

The craftsman, the mason, is the central character. He even stands on a bench, above the other two, to illustrate this. There are many parallels to Freemasons in this one figure alone. Snippets of brightcrazystar’s excellent post on the subject are shown below:

[…]As The Man actually working has the setting Maul, he is Chiram [Abiff, chief architect of Solomon’s Temple and a character in an allegorical play that relates to the third degree of Freemasonry]. He is the Master Mason, not the apprentice being supervised as many people think.

[…]

The feet of Chiram (the guy with the setting maul) are in the shape of a "T", and his left arm is at a 90 degree angle palm out, the step of a Master Mason.

[…]

Everything in this card is Masonic. MASTER Masonic.
Actually, the parts I omitted in the above quote are more in depth about the legend of Chiram, and the relation as well to the Four of Swords, but I don’t follow it as well, so I left it out. But basically my understanding of it is that this guy is not just a craftsman who is skilled at his trade, but the craftsman, a master mason, and a salute from Waite, who was heavily into Freemasonry and its symbolism.

The monk is the critic of the lot, symbolic of “the Establishment” and that which would stifle his creativity. And the other guy? I saw him as a financier, as a wealthy benefactor. But Rachel Pollack says he is an architect. This makes sense of the blueprints he holds, and the long hood - the liripipe - of the academic. The blueprints he holds forth indicate plans, and the difference between dreams (his design) and reality (what the mason can actually do, what is feasible or practical).

The mason is walking a fine line between pleasing his client (the monk), fulfilling his obligations to his employer (the architect) and his own artistic integrity.

My Interpretations
The Three of Pentacles is a card of skill, of hard-earned skill that is achieved over many years’ experience and hard work. No overnight sensation, this mason. He’s had the talent and the drive to achieve much. And now it’s time for that skill and that hard work to be recognized. Unfortunately, that’s not necessarily always a good thing. Because with it comes the red tape and the trappings of that recognition. Sometimes it’s a thankless job. Chipping away at the walls of ignorance, bringing enlightenment, it doesn’t necessarily accomplish much. But that’s the way life is. Sometimes your reward for hard work is … more work. It’s the price you pay.

If I drew this card in a reading, I would possibly see it as my hard work being recognized. But rewarded? I don’t know. You put a lot of time and effort into something once and do it well, and your reward is that becomes part of your job description. So I’d also have to bear in mind that the recognition of this card may come with strings attached.