78 Weeks: Ace of Swords

jmd

To find out what these threads refer to, please seeThe link above provides suggested dates and links to all threads for this study.

Some amongst us may be working through the deck in a different order, and using different decks.

For more general comments or questions about the 78 weeks, please post in the thread linked above.

Enjoy!

CreativeFire

Ace of Swords

Starting off my 78 week study notes on the Swords suit, with the Ace. Also quite aptly I guess it is turning out to be a bit of swords month for me so I have a feeling I am going to really relate to some of these cards as I go along - starting with this one ;)

Ace of Swords

An opportunity or time for some truth and honesty, dealing with the facts, cutting to the chase and cutting away the crap to get to the heart of the matter. Then finding the strength and resolve to sort things out, find a resolution, and face any problems head on to be able to move ahead.

Slicing through confusion, clearing the way for understanding, dealing thoughtfully with reality to be fair and just and finding the right thing for all concerned is often not easy to do but sometimes has to be done to clear the air and deal with issues honestly so that positive action can be taken.

CF

knavescurvy

Aces are a thought an idea inspiration it is raw and not polished at all but possibly the seed of something great or possibly something that isn't worth considering (ie. lets have a National Idol type show where people vote on the next front man for INXS.) the ace of swords is the most Ideal of Ideas it is about thoughts or comunicatins, beliefs about how the world is (what you think not what you would defend in a fight to the death unarmed against several ninjas with very sharp knives) and philosophies. the ace of swords is a new begining and potentially a bright one.

gregory

Ace of Swords - Revelations Tarot

First impressions
One of the more phallic versions I have seen….
From the artist’s website
Upright

Powerful forces have come to play which will bring swift change in life for anew.

Reversed
Stress and tension plague life as the point of the sword bears down.

Images and Symbolism
The ideas of air and movement play in the background while the sword firmly gleams in the forefront.
The golden crown and laurel leaves are symbols for wisdom and thought which is associated with the suit.
Traditional meanings
Upright:

Justice, authority, irrepressible movement, incisive intellect. Power used for the common good. Necessary changes.
Reversed:
Power misused, injustice, violence. wanton destruction.
My impressions:
Upright
A very phallic sword points upwards, with a golden laurel wreath and a tiara around it. The hilt is heavily jewelled. The word veritas (truth) glows on the blade. The background is swirling purple light – like a whirlpool.
Reversed
- well, it’s a sword on its hilt ! The background looks more threatening; and the wreath and crown look ready to fall off, though the hilt would prevent this.
My take
The upright image is one of strength and determination. It is sharp, cutting. You wouldn't want to cross someone who was represented by this card. But it also looks honest, somehow – maybe the wisdom of Solomon – cutting through to the truth. The gold would suggest a position of power, like a judge or a ruler. Allowing you to get where you want as long as you do it without deceit or violence ?
Reversed, the card is rather odd looking. A sword pointing down doesn't say that much to me. The sword isn’t getting anywhere or achieving anything – maybe it’s stuck; maybe that is what is suggested. The book says it is stuck in the ground:
The swiftness of the sword has left you and it is stuck in the ground.
– but to be honest, I can’t see that in the card. The background is too airy and moving altogether. But it does look a bit as if the movement in the reversed image has nothing to do with the sword, that maybe the sword is “left out” of it all – so maybe there is a feeling of exclusion here, of failure.

All the cards from this deck can be viewed here.

gregory

Thoth

Card name: Ace of Swords

First impressions

A massive green sword points upwards into the sky; a crown of light surrounds its tip. At the base, clouds; through them we see the sea and a brilliant yellow sky. The hilt of the sword bears three suns and two moons; at the root of the blade is a word in Greek, which research tells me reads Thelema.

From the Book of Thoth
THE FOUR ACES

The Aces represent the roots of the four elements. They are quite above, and distinct from, the other small cards in the same way as Kether is said to be symbolized only by the topmost point of the Yod of Tetragrammaton. In these cards is no real manifestation of the element in its material form. They form a link between the small cards and the Princesses, who rule the Heavens around the North Pole. The Meridian is the Great Pyramid, and the Elements rule, going Eastward, in the order of Tetragrammaton, Fire, Water, Air, Earth. Thus, roughly, Aces-Princesses Wands cover Asia, Cups the Pacific Ocean, Swords the Americas, Disks Europe and Africa. To make this relationship clear, one may go a little into the symbol of the pentagram, or Shield of David. It represents Spirit ruling the four elements, and is thus a symbol of the Triumph of Man.

The idea of the element of Spirit is very difficult to grasp. The letter Shin, which is the letter of Fire, has to do double duty by representing Spirit as well. Generally speaking, the attributions of Spirit are not clear and simple like those of the other elements. It is very remarkable that the Tablet of Spirit in the Enochian system is the key to all mischief; as, in the Hindu system, Akasha is the Egg of Darkness.

On the other hand, Spirit represents Kether. Perhaps it was never in the mind of the Exempt Adept or Adepts who invented the Tarot to go so far into this matter. The point to remember is that, both in their appearance and in their meaning, the Aces are not the elements themselves, but the seeds of those elements.

THE ROOT OF THE POWERS OF AIR

ACE OF SWORDS

The Ace of Swords is the primordial Energy of Air, the Essence of the Vau of Tetragrammaton, the integration of the Ruach. Air is the result of the conjunction of Fire and Water; thus it lacks the purity of its superiors in the male hierarchy, Fire, Sol and the Phallus. But for this same reason it is the first card directly to be apprehended by the normal consciousness of Mankind. The errors of such cards as the 7 and 10 of Cups are yet of an Order altogether higher than the apparently much milder 4 of Swords. The study of the subtle and gradual degradation of the planes is excessively difficult.

In nature, the obvious symbol of Air is the Wind “which bloweth whithersoever it listeth”. It lacks the concentrated Will of Fire to unite with Water: it has no corresponding passion for its Twin Element, Earth. There is indeed, a notable passivity in its nature; evidently, it has no self-generated impulse. But, set in motion by its Father and Mother, its power is manifestly terrific. It visibly attacks its objective, as they, being of subtler and more tenuous character, can never do. Its “all-embracing, all-wandering, all-penetrating, all-consuming” qualities have been described by many admirable writers, and its analogies are for the most part patent to quite ordinary observers.

But, it will instantly be asked, what of the status of this Element in the light of other attributions? In the Yetziratic World, is not Air the first element to follow Spirit? Is not Vayu the first emergence of the phenomenal from the arcane obscurity of Akasha? How may one reconcile the doctrine of Mind with the fact that Ruh, or Ruach, actually means Spirit itself? “Achath Ruach Elohim Chiim” (777) means “One is the Spirit (not Air) of the Gods of the Living”? And is not Air, the element attributed to Mercury, also most properly the Breath of Life, the Word, the Logos itself?

The student must be referred to some less raw, cursory, elementary and superficial Treatise than this present bat-eyed, penguin- winged, bluebottle-brained buzzing. Nevertheless, although Air is in no system the lowest, and so cannot claim benefit of clergy from the doctrine that Malkuth automatically resolves into Kether, the following reference seems not wholly to lack either cogency or pertinence.

The Ruach is centred in the airy Sephira, Tiphareth, who is the Son, the first-born of the Father, and the Sun, the first emanation of the creative Phallus. He derives directly from his mother Binah through the Path of Zain, the sublime intuitive sense, so that he partakes absolutely of the nature of Neschamah. From his father, Chokmah, he is informed though the Path of Heh’, the Great Mother, the Star, our Lady Nuit, so that the creative impulse is communicated to him by all possibilities soever. [How strikingly this fact confirms the counterchange of IV and XVII, above fully expounded: as a link between Chokmah and Tiphareth, the Emperor would have no great significance, and this exquisite doctrine of the Three Mothers would be lost.]

Finally, from Kether, the supreme, descends directly upon him, though the Path of Gimel, the High Priestess, the triune light of Initiation. The Three- in-One, the Secret Mother in her polymorphous plenitude; these, these alone, hail him thrice blessed of the Supernals!

The card represents the Sword of the Magus crowned with the twenty-two rayed diadem of pure Light. The number refers to the Atu; also 22=2 X II, the Magical manifestation of Chokmah, Wisdom, the Logos. Upon the blade, accordingly, is inscribed the Word of the Law, This Word sends forth a blaze of Light, dispersing the dark clouds of the Mind.

Images and Symbolism

Frieda Harris says in her essays:

This card represents the first of the mixed elements, and is the result of the Union of Water and Air. In the centre is a sword implying kingship, which pierces a crown with twelve points for the twelve signs of the Zodiac.
Also:
This card is a picture of the intellect in its best and most controlled aspect.
On the hilt of the sword is written Thelema or Will. There are two moons and three suns on the handle, the expanse of sky behind it suggests the other meaning of the suit, the element of air.
Crowley refers to the 22 rayed diadem of pure light; Frieda to the crown with twelve points for the twelve signs of the zodiac. There are certainly 12 rays AT THE FRONT of the diadem. But counting the yellow ones at the back as well, I get to 23… though the one at the centre COULD be discounted…
Water and air are both very much present, and the clouds at the base and not higher up could even signify that there is water IN air at times. The sword thrusts upwards into the circle of the crown – a rather sexual image, for all that this card is about the intellect.
The thrusting sword suggest the need to use the sharpness of the mind to cut through to the underlying truth. Banzhaf mentions that the hilt of the sword bears an entwined snake, and marked with two crescent moons – suggesting that there is more to mind than intellect.
The 22 rays (Banzhaf runs with 22 !) signify Kether – the highest principle in the Tree of Life. The powers of the mind, fed by emotion (the moon) can reach the highest point there is (the crown.)
The Ace of Swords represents the Ruach – the intellect part of the soul. The mind is the great enemy, according to Eastern Mystics, as it resists being identified with any higher level of consciousness. From this resistance arises all sorts of conflict and frustration (the word “over-thinking” springs to mind here.) this particular card seems to cut through all that, but as DuQuette suggests, the conflict does permeate the Swords as a whole. As he also says, in the proper hands, the sword “can be the weapon that cuts through the crap, and the Ace of Swords is the sword of the Magus, ‘crowned with the 22 rayed diadem of pure Light’.”
Snuffin says that the sword’s hilt is copper (Venus); the blade of steel (Mars) and the reason it is green is the combination of blue (water) and yellow) air.
The sun rising over the water in the background refers to air manifesting as the union of fire and water. The sword burns away the clouds around it, making way for the sun which brings clarity to the intellect. The night sky is also visible, with stars, above the sunrise.

Meaning (cribbed from Wasserman)
Ace of Swords: The Root of the Powers of Air. Invoked force as contrasted with natural force (compare Ace of Wands). Represents great power for good or evil but invoked. Conquest. Whirling force Activity. Strength through trouble. As affirmation of justice uphold¬ing divine authority, may become sword of wrath, punishment and affliction.

DuQuette It symbolizes “Invoked”, as contrasted with Natural Force: for it is the Invocation of the Sword. Raised upward, it invokes the Divine crown of Spiritual Brightness, but reversed it is the Invocation of Demonic Force; and becomes a fearfully evil symbol. It represents, therefore, very great power for good or evil, but invoked; and it also represents whirling Force, and strength through trouble. It is the affirmation of Justice upholding Divine Authority; and it may become the Sword of Wrath, Punishment, and Affliction.
Traditional meanings – From Thirteen’s book of meanings:
ACES
Aces are the root force, the spark or seed of the suit. Relate them to the Magician, who presents the tools to the Fool. They have no purpose yet, but are filled with raw potential. They are the active energy of the suit ready to be used. They can also indicate compass direction or season, but which is which is often debated. Here are the most typical directions and seasons. If, however, they don't feel right to you, the reader, change them to what works.
These are the Aces, the raw or initial passion, feelings, thoughts and needs that can be directed into something more. They represent hope, a possibility, an action to take, a future that you can create.
Choose wisely what you take up from the Magician's table for each has its pitfalls as well as pinnacles.

Ace of Swords Pentacles
East/Spring
The mind is awakening for new challenges in the Ace of Swords. This usually indicates that the person's mind is feeling sharper, clearer. They want to talk, want to discuss or write. The breeze stirs through the trees and the fledgling thinks of trying out its newly feathered wings. The sword is lifted, and the querent wants to test its edge.

(I include Thirteen’s meanings here, but the way, as while someone else was adding them to her Thoth posts, I found them enlightening in context, even though the descriptions are way different !)

My impressions (appearance of the card):
The moons and two of the suns at the hilt look like a REALLY unpleasant face, to me, and combined with the rest, suggest a violent sexual aspect to the card. The arch of clouds with the yellow behind also look like some kind of portal. Like that white light people say they see when they have near-death experiences (which could also tie into birth and more sex !)
I never liked this card and the more I look at it, the less I like it. It comes over as in your face – nothing pleasant.

My take (what I make of it/what I might see in a reading where I drew it)
I think there is a suggestion of violence, here, of control. I’d say watch out for someone who thinks they can control you, and will do anything to achieve that control.

jackdaw*

Ace of Swords (Rider Waite Tarot)

First Impressions
A slightly luminous white hand, stark against a gray sky, emerges from an even grayer cloud. It’s clenched tightly around the hilt of a silvery sword, so that the upper T-shaped bar (crossbar) is of the hilt, and the polished ball at its base are all that show. The point of the sword is poking through the centre of a golden crown; two fronds of greenery dangle over the top of it. My guess is that the one on the left is olive or something, and the one on the right palm, but they look like mistletoe and seaweed to me!

Six little yellow flames seem to dance around the base of the sword’s blade, three to a side. Like the ones on the Moon, the Tower and other Aces. Yods, I’ve always assumed. The whole thing - hand, cloud, sword, crown, greenery, flames - is all very large, and looms over a disproportionately teeny tiny landscape of blue and reddish-purple rugged mountain ranges. The mountains and the flames are the only spots of colour in the card at all, really. Gray, white and yellow, with a bit of blue and purple at the bottom.

Honestly, there isn’t much to say about this card on first glance. It’s rather blah and gray, lacks the drama of the Thoth version or even the flickers of light along the blade of the Hanson-Roberts or the Robin Wood. Really, but for the lack of armour, it’s very very similar to that of the Tarot de Marseille. Just not as interesting, visually speaking.

I never saw the Ace of Swords as a good card, per se. A powerful, forceful card, but not a happy one. I always saw it as one of great personal force, of mental energy, of powerful intellect. But a sharp, pointy and even painful card.

Creator’s Notes
Waite is pretty quiet about this card:
Waite said:
A hand issues from a cloud, grasping a sword, the point of which is encircled by a crown.
Whoopee. Very revealing. But it’s worth taking note of the fact that Waite says the crown encircles the sword, rather than the sword is thrust up through it. The crown is clearly the more important aspect.

Others’ Interpretations
In The Pictorial Key to the Tarot, Waite said this card means:
Waite said:
Divinatory Meanings: Triumph, the excessive degree in everything, conquest, triumph of force. It is a card of great force, in love as well as in hatred. The crown may carry a much higher significance than comes usually within the sphere of fortune-telling. Reversed: The same, but the results are disastrous; another account says--conception, childbirth, augmentation, multiplicity.
I like that - “the excessive degree in everything”. Clearly I’ll have to look pretty hard at that crown, though, to find out why it’s so highly significant! And I don’t normally pay much attention to reversed interpretations, much less Waite’s, but I do like that first bit. Basically the same, but worse. :p

And I like this description from Book T by Macgregor Mathers:
Mathers said:
A WHITE Radiating Angelic Hand, issuing from clouds, and grasping the hilt of a sword, which supports a White Radiant Celestial Crown; from which depend, on the right, the olive branch of Peace; and on the left, the palm branch of suffering.

Six Vaus fall from its point. It symbolizes "Invoked," as contrasted with Natural Force: for it is the Invocation of the Sword. Raised upward, it invokes the Divine crown of Spiritual Brightness, but reversed it is the Invocation of Demonic Force; and becomes a fearfully evil symbol. It represents, therefore, very great power for good or evil, but invoked; and it also represents whirling Force, and strength through trouble. It is the affirmation of Justice upholding Divine Authority; and it may become the Sword of Wrath, Punishment, and Affliction.
The concept of invocation, of calling up or calling forth, is a really interesting one. I think it adds a nuance to this card that could be important, so I made a point of bringing it up.

And what is this about Vaus? More on that later.

Wikipedia’s interpretation, on the page for the suit of Swords:
wikipedia said:
Ace of Swords: The Reaver. Indicates decisive ability. Cutting through confusion. Taking a radical decision or standpoint. The ability to see through deception, and expose it.
Actually, it doesn’t add much, I don’t think. I just think the quaintness of its title “The Reaver” is rather charming.

Symbols and Attributes
Astrologically Aces are not affiliated with any particular sign. Rather, they are thought to embody their suit’s element in its purest form. In the case of the Ace of Swords, the element of Air. Air is the element of the spirit, of speech, of the intellect, of ideas and (controversially) of conflict. As pure Air, I suppose it can be thought to share aspects with the Fool in the Major Arcana, whose element is also Air. The Fool I see as a being of Spirit or Æther; more free-flowing, unfettered and ethereal than the intellectual, crystalline and unemotional suit of Swords and the Ace of Swords in particular.

As the number one, the Ace represents the point of origin of the suit’s specific energy, and its greatest potential. Given the nature of the suit of Swords this can be either very positive or very negative. My own personal theory of Aces is that they are, as number One, linked to the Magician; they represent the tools the Magician needs to accomplish his task. And the Sword is not just a sharp implement, it is intelligence, quick thinking, articulate speech and swift and decisive action.

The sword is a weapon, an instrument of force and conflict, but it is also a blade, a tool. A sharp implement used in Wicca to channel and direct energy, and to cut through ropes and bonds of knotty problems. A delicate tool with the precision of a scalpel when wielded properly, it can also be as blunt as an axe and be used to hack and stab when used in another way. It is literally as well as figuratively double-edged.

As it is shown in this card it is a shining gray, making me think more of silver than of steel. Silver is the colour of the Moon, but it is also the colour most closely linked with Gemini, an Air sign. But as a variant of gray, silver is also neutral, unemotional. But more shining, resplendent. Thinking about the expression of the “silver tongue”, we can consider it as relating as well to communication. As a metal it symbolizes purity, clarity, focus and purpose. All interesting to consider in terms of the Swords’ focus; it cuts to the heart of an issue, strips away the extraneous matter to get to the most important points.

The hand that holds the sword emanates from a gray cloud. Clouds are typical symbols of the Air element, and also a common aspect of the older cards. But in the Rider Waite Tarot all Aces are held by hands that emerge from clouds in the sky. I think it underlines their role as gifts from the Divine, from the Spirit. In this case it’s a deep gray cloud, like those that come with heavy rain and thunderstorms. The gift of the Ace of Swords is a serious matter, more significant and fraught with potential than those of the other suits. The hand itself is the right hand, as with the rest of the Aces - the hand of masculinity and decisiveness. And it comes from the left hand side of the card’s frame, as if moving to the right, moving forward. It grips the sword tightly, fist clenched firmly around the hilt. There is such focus, such determination in the grasp.

The point of the sword is encircled by a gold crown studded by red gems. The gold is the colour of intellect and illumination. As a metal gold is the ultimate goal of alchemy, symbolizing achievement and perfection. If rubies, the gems on the crown are the stones of royalty and were traditionally used to decorate the armour and weapons of Indian and Chinese nobles, according to wikipedia. So they are a common symbol of aggression and war, but also of defensiveness. As for the crown itself, its round shape is a further reflection of perfection. Being a perfect circle it represents eternity, endlessness of one’s reign. In this case, though, what is the reign? Because we have to consider that the crown has to crown something. And in this case, it’s the top of the sword itself.

The crown is linked in the Qabalah to Kether, the uppermost of the ten sephira on the Tree of Life. A sephiroth of pure consciousness, of the divine intellect, it ties in well to the aspect of the suit of Swords as that of the intellect or spirit. It represents the triumph of reason and intellect over instinct. Wikipedia sums up Kether in part as follows:
wikipedia said:
The first Sephirah is called the Crown, since a crown is worn above the head. The Crown therefore refers to things that are above the mind's abilities of comprehension. All of the other Sephirot are likened to the body which starts with the head and wends its way down into action. But the crown of a king lies above the head and connects the concept of "monarchy", which is abstract and intangible, with the tangible and concrete head of the king.
So as it crowns the sword in this case, Kether represents the triumph of the spirit over the cold intellect, over the might of the sword.

When considering the ten sephira, Kether is considered to be colourless as far as colour associations go; this is a neat discovery I learned in light of the fact that one of my first impressions of this card is how colourless, how gray, it is! In his Liber 777, first published anonymously in 1909, Aleister Crowley stated that Kether is associated with the four Aces of the Tarot. So another point for Waite’s emphasis on the crown. Did Waite read this, seemingly simultaneously with the deck being created? Doubtful, but it’s possible that as members of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn at one point or another, both Waite and Crowley would have learned this from the same source.

From the top of the crown two fronds of greenery hang over the edge. On the left hand side, the passive, feminine and receptive side, hangs an olive branch. Olive is a sign of peace, but also of purification according to Sandra A. Thomson; this makes me think of the ritual annointment of kings, of pouring oil on them. The olive was sacred to Athena, linking it to wisdom as well. On the masculine and active side, the right, hangs a palm branch. Palm is a masculine symbol of victory and triumph. It makes me think of Palm Sunday, when Jesus entered Jerusalem a week before his crucifixion and subsequent resurrection. He rode into the city on a donkey, which indicated he was arriving in peace (he wasn’t riding a warhorse); residents of the city strewed his path with palm branches to show that he was worthy of great honour and therefore should not walk on the bare ground. A precursor to a red carpet, I guess. So I would take this to symbolize the triumph of peace over the lower conflict of the sword beneath.

Surrounding the base of the sword are six yellow flames, three to a side. I had always assumed that they were yods. As we saw in the Tower, and again in the Moon, yod is the first letter of the Hebrew Tetragrammaton (the Name of God). It represents divine grace (perhaps it fell from the crown?) and the act of primal creation since tiny yod is a part of every other Hebrew letter. To me it reinforces the vast potential, the sparks of the Divine, that surround the Ace of Swords.

But are they really yods? Why did Mathers refer to them as vaus? Vau is another Hebrew letter, and the third of the Tetragrammaton (Yod, heh, vav, heh). And apparently those in the know state that the flames in this particular Ace more closely represent the shape of the vau (or vav) than that of yod.

What’s the difference, anyway? Well, I found a neat website that kind of summed up the symbolism of the various Hebrew letters:
http://shekinah.elysiumgates.com/hebrew.html said:
Vau Traditionally this symbolizes "Humanity" and the "Restoration of Judgment." As the third letter in the Ha Shem, the Holy Name, vau represents Completion, Redemption and Transformation. It is the letter of continuity, uniting Heaven with Earth. When used with certain vowels (as i the probably pronunciation of the Name of God), vau can be an almost silent letter, more approximating a vowel than a consonant. A soft, vowel-like vau denies validity of the harsh-sounding Jehovah as an English translation for the Hebrew Name of God. As the letter yod is also a so-called half-vowel, Iyahweh, with the w and both h's uttered softly, may be closer to being correct as a possible pronunciation fo the Ineffable Name.
[…] Yod Literally, "hand" and symbol of the Jew. It also means "monument" or "share." Although the smallest letter in the Hebrew alphabet, yod contains as much meaning as the rest of the Hebrew alphabet combined. Yod signifies Creation itself and all of the Metaphysical processes and, on its own, stands as an important symbol for the Creator.
So vau is the letter of transformation, and yod the letter of creation. Yod has to come first, has to create something that can be later transformed in vau.

Kwaw had quite a lot to say in 2004 about the yod versus vau issue in the Ace of Swords:
As Vincent informs us, in Mather's public book the 'dots' are descibed as 'yods', but in the inner teachings of the GD as Vau's. Why is this relevant? Because Waite was a member of the GD, took over an offshoot of it post 1900, Smith was a member of this offshoot, and this influenced the symbolism within their deck.

Vincent mentions that according to Mathers 'public' book the symbols are 'yods', but in the inner teachings [book 't'] they are described as 'vau's.
There is an implication in vincent's post that one or the other must be true; that the secret, inner teaching is the truth therefore the outer public truth is false. I disagree. An inner teaching does not necessarily disagree with, or make false, an outer [or public] teaching, but extends or qualifies it, even when they appear to be opposites.

For example, night and day, opposites. As opposites we may say they are exclusive [it is impossible to have both night and day HERE and NOW], but also inclusive [NIGHT here [ie, one side of the world] DAY there [the other side of the world], or night now, day tomorrow or yesterday] depending upon qualifications of time/space.

Or let us say the letter Yod symbolises the 'father', Vau the 'Son'. All fathers are sons, sons maybe fathers. They are not exclusive of each other.

Looking at Waite/Smiths Ace of Swords the six dots, three on either side of the sword, look like yods to me. Like Mathers, Waite was a member of the GD and valued his oaths. So if as Vincent says Mathers in his public statements made them Yods, but in the inner teachings of the Gd described them as Vau's; Wouldn't this apply as much to Waite’s? A member of the GD, having took oaths, the outer [public teaching] yod, the inner Vau? They look like yods, but there are six, which may relate to vau [the Hebrew letter vau has a numerical value of six].

They look like Yods, but there are six which may allude to an inner teaching of an attribution to Vau. So I think not Yod OR Vau, but Yod AND Vau.

Having two letters of the Tetragrammaton {Yod and Vau of YHVH} makes me wonder if the the other letter {Hei, H} is also included? The sword is crowned, and the crown has 5 'tips', and 5 is the numerical value of Hei. Plus the sword with its crown is very phallic, and one of the Hebrew names for the crown [head, glans] of the phallus is 'aterah' [meaning 'crown, etymologically connected with the turban of an eastern king and the English work 'tiara', in hebrew the crown or glans of the penis, also an alternative name for the tenth sephira 'malkuth', which is associated with the last 'Hei' or 'H' of the name JHVH].

The sword a cutting tool, a blade [an instrument of circumcision]. What is the symbolism of circumcision? The glans are exposed in an uncircumsized penis when in a state of arousal, of desire and readiness for 'unification'. The circumsized penis, the 'aterah' is forever exposed, symbolising the constant unification between man and god [the shekinah, the bride or presence of God, Israel [mankind]].

So in the Ace of swords we have reference to all the three letters in the name of god, yod, hei and vau.

Kwaw
Yow. I know so little about the Hebrew/Qabalistic juxtapositions with Tarot, and the Tetragrammaton and circumcised penis stuff honestly doesn’t make much sense to me. But what I take from the yod/vau thingy is that the Ace of Swords is not a creative force, but a transformative one. Or, if it is as Kwaw says: yod and vau, it is creative potential and transformation as well. And this makes sense, because a sword I tend to think of as something that can’t create something new, but can change something existing. It can cut a block of wood, hack it into kindling or carve it into a beautiful or useful object. But while it can’t create the block of wood in the first place, it has the potential to create something new from it.

The hand and sword and stuff are disproportionately large, looming over the teeny scene below, making me think of when God appeared to King Arthur and his knights in Monty Python and the Holy Grail (what is it about the Aces, incidentally, that makes me reference Monty Python?!) - massive and important and dwarfing the mere mortals on the ground. It makes me think of the relative importance of the intellect, of the spirit, how it can seem to eclipse the more mundane earthly cares. The mountains below remind me of those in the background of the Fool and Judgement. Jagged yet very slightly rounded. I am using the pocket Rider Waite Tarot by U.S. Games, and in my copy the mountains are blue and a cross-hatching of red and purple. Blue for the spirit, for ideas, for the alignment of the soul with the divine, with a higher spirit. And purple for authority and spiritual or esoteric insight. Now mountains, with their distant peaks and their connection with spiritual retreats and hermits (think of the monks of Tibet, and you picture pilgrim supplicants hiking up the mountains to seek their wisdom), make me think in this light of quests and spirituality. So I would see the mountains here as referring to a quest, to seeking out the Divine and spiritual knowledge. Such concerns can be eclipsed, can fade to the background, as more emphasis is given to the conflictual aspects of this suit. The hand clenching the sword, wielding it as a weapon, or the flashy gift, detracts from the purity of the knowledge and insight being sought. Maybe this is something that could benefit from the trimming blade - cutting away the extraneous chaff that blocks the view of the pure elemental goal.

My Interpretations
As I’ve said, I prefer to view Aces in the Tarot as tools in the Magician’s arsenal. The qualities he needs to accomplish his goals. And in this case, the Ace of Swords, the tool on the table is that of clarity, the ability to cut through the crap to get to the heart of an issue. And to stab that heart right through the middle, if need be.

There’s a great deal of Qabalistic symbolism in this card that all points to the vast potential in the Ace of Swords. If we see the flames as yods, which I think after much dithering I still prefer to vaus, it is a very powerful symbol and rife with creative potential and power. Combined with the divine intellect of the crown as Kether, and it’s really very impressive. Rather than just the intellect and articulation of Air, it brings the divine spirit into things. Not an approach I’d really considered, so it’s interesting.

Traditionally I’d often heard of the Ace of Swords referring to the natural laws of karma, of reaping what you sow. But in the more retributory viewpoint, that of karma being a bitch. Funny, that never much came up in looking at Waite’s and Colman Smith’s symbols, but it’s always one that is at the back of my mind.

Overall, if I drew this card in a reading I would take it to refer to a situation where intellect is at the forefront. Either it would call for a coldly intellectual approach, or to back off from the current unemotional and uncluttered viewpoint. Don’t forget about the spiritual side of things.