Andrea del Sarto's "Hanged Man" sketches

kwaw

Teheuti said:
The more I understand the idea of shame/Fall/death, especially in regards to the medieval mind, the more it seems like the source of the upside down shame paintings.

"Because by a man came death, by a man also comes resurrection [1 Cor 15:21]."

The fall of man, is paralled in the descent of the word made flesh, the incarnation of God to take the sin upon himself for the sake of man's salvation.

The fall of man and the descent of the word made flesh, head first, birth into temporal life (and the coming of death); thus we may see in this figure of shame/death, also a prefigurement of the incarnation. We need not take it as either/or, but both, an integrated complex of mutually related ideas, the fall neccesitates salvation.

"The Word Himself, born of a Virgin, received in birth the recapitulation of Adam, thereby recapitulating Adam in Himself." St. Irenaeus.

Ross G Caldwell

Moderator note

Ok people, as co-moderator, I hope we’ve seen the end of this spat. Further *way* off-topic posts will be removed immediately. Let’s keep it on-topic.

Teheuti

O'Neill Hanged Man Iconology

Anyone interested in this subject really should read Bob O'Neill's essay on the Hanged Man iconography with all his wonderful pictorial examples at:

http://www.tarot.com/about-tarot/library/boneill/hangedman

He summarizes his conclusions:
"It remains to reconstruct what the 15th century card-players might have seen in the Hangedman symbol. It seems reasonable to assert that they would have recognized the image as a ‘shame painting’ or an image from hell. In either case, the image would have communicated treachery and punishment: Lucifer and sinners being cast headlong into hell.

"But while the first impression might have been negative, there are also hints of the humility of St. Peter. Thus, while the inverted position might be considered as punishment when forcefully imposed, when voluntarily adopted it might have been associated with the spiritual conversion experience of Dante or Bernard’s "Fool for Christ" turning cartwheels. So the material was also available to the card-players who might have seen the symbol as representing a reversal of values, a voluntary reversal that permits the mystical experience represented in the remaining trumps."

mjhurst

Hi, Mary,

Teheuti said:
Anyone interested in this subject really should read Bob O'Neill's essay on the Hanged Man iconography with all his wonderful pictorial examples at:

http://www.tarot.com/about-tarot/library/boneill/hangedman
And Andrea Vitali's essay on trionfi.com and probably John Opsopaus essay as well.

Andrea Vitali's Hanged Man essay
http://trionfi.com/0/i/v/v12.html

John Opsopaus Hanged Man essay
http://www.cs.utk.edu/~mclennan/BA/PT/M12.html

Best regards,
Michael

mjhurst

Inversion at Birth and Death

Hi, Mary,

You talked about Rushdie on the inversion of birth, "descending headfirst" into the world.

Teheuti said:
"In Salman Rushdie's Shame, Omar Khayyam Shakil, the most important character in the book, . . . perceived that he had grown up between "twin eternities" (p.17) existing in a kind of limbo between Heaven and Hell. He had an inverted sense of things from the moment of his birth, when, hanging upside down, his first vision was of the "inverted summits" that he later named the "Impossible Mountains" (p.14)."
This was not an unknown image in the Middle Ages. In Michael Camille's Master of Death: The Lifeless Art of Pierre Remiet, Illuminator (which I strongly recommend as a great, detailed, and insightful study of a typical late-medieval artist and the modelbook sensibility) he includes a page by "the self-obsessive compulsive clerical illuminator Opicinis de Canistris of Pavia, born in 1296".

camilePrincePauper.jpg

Life-cycle of Prince and Pauper

[Opicinis] the mad Italian miniaturist produced a powerful image of the simultaneous and adjacent births of prince and pauper, their unequal lives and totally identical ends. It is not coincidental that the position of the babies and the corpses is the same inverted one of the fallen body. Opicinus' diagrammatic and unbalanced mentality placed death upside-down, as a literal semiotic negation, whereas for Remiet it was always horizontal, placed in the world as though somehow still living within it.
Best regards,
Michael

mjhurst

The fall from the Tree of Life

Now it may be asked what sort of death God threatened to the first human beings if they broke the commandment He had given them. Was it the death of the soul? Or of the body? Or of the whole person? Or was it what is called the second death? The answer is "All of these deaths."
(St. Augustine, quoted by Camille.)
The reference to "same inverted one of the fallen body" in the previous post refers to another odd iconographic motif vaguely related to the Hanged Man, and to Death. It is an interesting image in an interesting manuscript, peculiar and remarkable largely because the artist Remiet didn't have a model, (i.e., an earlier illustrated MS of the same text), to work from.

The twenty-one miniatures in the two volumes of Remiet's Cite de Dieu, as a consequence, differ in all respects from the traditional cycle that had been devised to illustrate this text when it was first translated by Raoul de Presles for Charles V in 1371-5. Remiet, without access to the lavishly illuminated copies in the libraries of the Louvre or the copy later made from the same model for Jean, Duke of Berry, fell back on his own prototypes. This is one of the very few places where we can be sure that he was not copying but struggling to illustrate the vernacular text before him.

The lugubrious interpretations that Remiet gives to Augustine's work might also be seen as a direct appeal to the tastes of his young patron. A strange mixture of piety and perversity, Louis, Duke of Touraine and later Orleans, the younger son of Charles V, was still in his twenties when he ordered Thevenin to supply him with the Cite de Dieu.
camilleFall2.jpg

The fall from the Tree of Life
Augustine's Cite de Dieu

What would this prince have made of the mysterious miniature of the invention of death? Certainly he had the intellectual and poetic ability to explore an image with a much care and thought as a text. That he owned manuscripts with highly convoluted images that had to be explained by written commentaries, like the Livre de Sallust by Jean le Begue, and the Epitre d'Othea by Christine de Pizan, makes it clear that Louis had a sophisticated visual sensibility, not in the superficial sense usually derived from Huizinga's vision of later medieval decadence, but what scholars have described as a "proto-humanist" interest in images as complex systems of thought. The image opening Book XIII of the Cite de Dieu shows a representation of the Fall that is not described as such in the text. A white-bearded old man stands at the left, his arms folded. He looks at a tree from the branches of which a young man is falling; below are two male corpses, both similar in appearance to that of the Adam and Eve scene in the Lay de la fragilite humaine, except that they are both clothed.
Camille's book is fascinating in part because of the light it sheds on models and their role in illustration. Even though the subjects depicted in the illustrations are off-topic for this thread, the methods by which models are recycled is very much to the topic of the different uses to which images of inverted hanging were put, so I'll quote Camille at length.

There is nothing akin to this scene in the long tradition of illustrating Augustine's great work, in either the Latin or the vernacular tradition. Its peculiarities suggest either that Remiet was following some oral or lost written instructions by the libraire Thevenin or that he read the French text himself, especially the extensive commentaries supplied by the translator, Raoul de Presles, who introduces this chapter as "monseigneur saint Augustin here treats the fall (trebuchement) of the first man and the birth of death (et de la naissance de la mort)".

Book XIII of Augustine's work, giving death a central place in the schema of salvation, was the most widely read meditation on the subject throughout the Middle Ages. But there is no mention in the text or commentary of the fall from the tree or of the old man in the miniature. This peculiar image in the Cite de Dieu is actually paralleled in a text that Remiet had illustrated five years earlier and which he probably drew upon in conceiving this one. This is the second sequel to the pilgrimage of man's life by Guillaume de Deguileville, the Pelerinage de Jesus-Christ, in the manuscript dated 1393 that records Remiet's name. The second scene in the four-part frontispiece shows a man tumbling headlong from a tree, just as in the Cite de Dieu scene, illustrating the poets vision at the beginning of the poem where, having fallen asleep in a beautiful tree-filled garden with singing birds, the poet sees an old man climb an apple tree filled with fruit and then fall from its branches into a hole that opens up in the earth below it. This is Adam who falls into Hell and who will be redeemed in the poem that follows only by Christ's pilgrimage. In the Augustine miniature it is not the "old Adam" who falls into Hell but three young men, who have fallen or are falling to their death. The old man is present but he stands as an observer on the left, reminiscent of the figure of Elde in Chaucer's Pardoner's Tale, an eternal witness of recurrent death which he himself longs for but is tragically unable to experience. In both the Pelerinage and the Cite de Dieu, Remiet has constructed an image of the Fall as spectacle, as something which happens to other people rather than to the subject, something witnessed.
camilleFall1.jpg

Frontispiece to Pelerinage de Jesus-Christ
Christ preaching; the Fall; Dreamer in the Garden​

But to see this as an image in which Remiet has projected himself as the endlessly undying observer would be exaggerating. The limited repertoire of elements to hand constrained the illuminator and confined his created world to a re-combination of stock elements. This can be seen in another odd coincidence between the figure falling from the tree in the Augustine miniature and the illustration in a very different kind of text that Remiet illustrated during the same period. This in the ancient narrative in the Histoire ancienne (also probably from the Duke of Orlean's library) of the baby Oedipus hanging upside down from a tree being discovered by the hunters of Polybus. The rubric explains how "Laius, the King of Thebes, had a child named Oedipus whom astrologers told him would be a marvelous man and murder him". The baby is therefore abandoned in the woods by slaves who take pity on the infant and refuse to kill him, but this suspension upside down from a tree is an invention of the medieval tradition and points to the curse of death that cannot be avoided.
camilleOedipus.jpg

The Discovery of Oedipus
Miniature in Histoire ancienne

Our urge as historians is always to "read" iconography in terms of historical events, as though they happened against a "background" that stimulated their production. At this date in Paris, newborn children were still being abandoned in less flamboyant ways. There were rumors rife in the capital of a variety of Oedipal secrets at the French court; for instance whispers that Louis was in fact the lover of his elder brother's wife and actual father to the dauphin Charles. It is clearly easier to posit a point of view for Remiet's patron, Louis d'Orleans, than for the illuminator of his books. Partly because the historical and visual record of Louis as an "important" character in the constructed drama of history, carved painted, and represented in numerous effigies, there is so much more to imagine him doing with his books and images, whereas Remiet remains, like the scene-painter or the set-designer of history, somewhere offstage. I am more interested in how and why Remiet put such images together and allowed them to resonate, not only with the world outside the book but with other books, other images.

An image then can have very different meanings for a patron than it might have for its maker and rather than always seeking to place "iconography" as an intentional blueprint on meaning in the mind of the artist, which is then conveyed to the viewer/patron, as though by some direct relay, we should see many more circumlocutions in the circuits between conception, construction, and reception. Remiet was making death out of pieces of his modelbook vocabulary, pieces that no patron could know in their isolated position as fragments and yet which can be combined to form a pictorial universe. The Cite de Dieu miniature thus appears not as Remiet's unique exegetical "reading" of the text but as something far less original and thus much more interesting. Rather than a new interpretation, it is more an amalgam of current visual ideas and associations stimulated by the numbing repetitions practiced in the illuminator's workshop, the tracings and copyings, modelbooks and pricked-pounced pages, that allowed trees and falling figures and the like to be reconstituted in different contexts.
In that passage, Camille may seem to be stepping into the unfathomable swamp of Postmodern, "death of the author", we-can't-know-what-this-meant, relativism. On the other hand, he has just demonstrated that we can, quite comfortably, come to grips with both the intended meaning of the illustration and the reasons for the peculiar expression of that meaning.

Best regards,
Michael

mjhurst

Transitions and Satan's place in Dante's cosmos

The idea of inversion when entering and leaving the world, illustrated so explicitly in Opicinis' cycle of Prince and Pauper, has an analogy in Dante's treatment of the Devil. It was surprising when several posters affirmed that the Devil was inverted, and I initially assumed that I'd missed something. (I'm a notorious skimmer, so it's always a reasonable assumption.) In fact, they were simply mistaken. In Dante's cosmos Satan is as upright as everyone else in Hell (that is, everyone except those purposely inverted, like the Simonists) and as everyone on the surface of the earth. As Dante and Virgil descend to his level, they see,

"The Emperor of the Universe of Pain
jutted his upper chest ABOVE the ice"

mapSatan.jpg

Illustration from Ciardi Translation​

He is perfectly upright at the center of the earth, and only appears to be upside down from Purgatory, as seen in the rear-view mirror. When Virgil takes Dante past the center of the earth, transitioning from the world of Hell into the world of Purgatory, Virgil and Dante must undergo inversion. They are the ones making the transition, and they are the ones who become inverted with regard to their previous orientation. This is quite clearly explained by Dante, (even over-explained for emphasis).

mapWorld.jpg

Illustration from Musa Translation​

So although Satan is not inverted, Dante's description does provide another example of inversion during transition from one realm to another.

Best regards,
Michael

jmd

Interesting that use of the FALL of 'man' is used in conjunction with the hanged man - I have, in my notes, this concept and the fall as a consequence of the consumption of the Tree of Life linked with the Maison Dieu ('Tower'), rather than with Le Pendu.

The image of the find of Oedipus is, of course, distinct to that of the Fall.

kwaw

oedipustree.jpg

jmd said:
The image of the find of Oedipus is, of course, distinct to that of the Fall.

Oedipus:
Children, poor helplesss children,
I know what brings you here, I know.
You suffer, this plague is agony for each of you,
but none of you suffers as I do.
Each of you suffers for himself, only himself.
My whole being wails and breaks
for this city, for myself, for all of you,
old man, all of you.
Everything ends here, with me. I am the man.
You have not wakened me from some kind of sleep.
I have wept, struggles, wandered in this maze of thought,
tried every road, searched hard -
finally I found one cure, only one:
I sent my wife's brother, Kreon, to great Apollo's shrine at
Delphi'
I sent him to learn what I must say or do to save Thebes
But his long absence troubles me. Why isn't he here?
Where is he?
When he returns, what kind of man would I be
if I failed to do everything the god reveals?

The image of the child hung to die of exposure, prefigures his fall following the exposure of his shame.

rosainfantoedipus.jpg

Ignorant of his sins, King Oedipus is in a state of imagined innocence of his sin, a good king, content in his virtue, he abnegates himself when the gods reveal to him the the knowledge of his sin, so too in Oedipus we have the trope of knowledge, sin and fall. His sacrifice not only for himself, the purging of his own sin, but to save his city from the plague. The plague upon the city reflects the kings own sin. The analogy between the good citizen and the good city is and was a common motif:

but let men compete, let self perfection grow
let men sharpen their skills
soldiers citizens building the good city...

...One of you summon the city here before us,
tell them I'll do everything. God help us,
we will see our triumph - or our fall.

The good citizen, the good city was a popular trope of the period, as reflected in the interest in Plato's Republic, in which we may see perhaps a reference to Oedipus when Socarates speaks of the tyrannos that:

"dares to do everything as though it were released from, and rid of, all shame and prudence. And it doesn't shrink from attempting intercourse, as it supposes, with a mother...or any foul murder at all."

The chorus cautions him not to stumble, "they call up a familiar vision of the tyrant's climb and plunge from a place where he can't put his feet anywhere." In his self-abnegation he becomes a figure of curiosity 'this cursed, naked, holy thing.'

Michael asks earlier, who outranks the Pope, perhaps we find the answer in St. Augustine's triumphal pilgrim of the City of God, whose victory is eternal?

Kwaw
ref: Oedipus the King By Sophocles
Translated by Stephen Berg, Diskin Clay (1978)