Books for non-illustrated pips

dolphinprincess

Are there books out there for decks with non-illustrated pips? I suppose this deals more with the number plus element way of reading....

Any suggestions?

purplelady

Wow, nobody has ventured to answer this question yet? I guess I'll give it a try. I cannot specifically think of any books written for reading with non-illustrated pips. (But I haven't ventured to do a search on it at any of the online bookstores either, and believe me, there IS a book for everything and then some.)
However there are books I know of for Specific decks with non-illustrated pips. For instance, there are A Lot of books written just for the Crowley-Thoth deck. There's a book in the set for the Sacred Circle Tarot. There is a book in the set with the Mystic Tarot etc.
I suppose it does deal more with the number plus element way of reading. Also, it's just something you know or memorize after awhile. Ace's are all begininngs. then just add swords (air element, the mind) or pentacles (earth element, money, material items). Sixes are usually very positive, a peak. While fives are not so good, etc.
If I were to read with a deck that had non-illustrated pips (and didn't already have a specific book to go with that deck) here's some books I might use:
'Tarot dictionary and compendium' by Jana Riley. This book gives a few sentences on each of the 78 cards by 14 different known tarot authors. It's an interesting way to read tarot! ( so for instance, the Queen of Swords, you get 14 different opinions on it!) And seeing how each one of these tarot authors created a different deck , you get sort-of an Overview of that card's meaning.
'Power Tarot' by Trish MacGregor and Phyllis Vega. I don't see why this book couldn't be used with just about any deck, also
'Tarot Plain and Simple' by Anthony Louis. It is illustrated with the Robin Wood deck but not really specifically for it.
These are just some books I like to use. Truthfully, you can use whatever your favorite tarot book is. The meanings on non-illustrated pips are really the same as illustrated , if perhaps more open ended.

Lee

There is a book in English which covers the number-plus-suit method. It's by Gail Fairfield, and it's called "Choice-Centered Tarot." The latest edition has a new title, "Everyday Tarot."

-- Lee

Moongold

The Tarot of the Sephiroth uses non-scenic pips and the companion volume to this deck is excellent. I think that reading with decks like this which use elemental, astrological and numerological associations is a useful precursor to reading with Marseilles decks, though this comment would be regarded as not right by died in the blue Marseilles afficionardos.

Moongold

Oops - I went back to correct a the typo and like my Freudian slip so much that I decided to let it stand. I thought the association of "blue" with royal blue was particularly revealing and witty by the Collective Unconscious" which overtakes my Piscean Moon soul on occasion.

And I like the thought of Marseilles afficionardos dying in the defence of the traditions of the Royal Marseilles.

Hope the Freudian slip doesn't become a feud - ian slip. I love the Marseilles myself and now have three Marseilles decks. But I also like the others.

Moongold retreats, chuckling quietly ..... but only the heavens hear. She has Uranus and Mercury in Gemini at the moment and the Moon might be there as well. No Saturn is in Cancer at the moment but is somehow influential in all this. Perhaps the Moon is still in Capricorn? I don't have my astrology program with me so can't check, alas. Some astrological moments are worth cherishing...... :)

Edited to add: No the Moon is currently in Pisces, which explains a great deal :).

tmgrl2

I just finished posting an addendum to my original suggestion of using Silvie Simon's book for the Tarot. However, I have revised my opinion of her take on the pips.

I still like the works in French the best: Klea's Au Fil d'Arcane
and her Les Lettres-Nombres They are both quite long, so I have only read/translated pieces as needed. Also, Jodorowsky's
La Voie du Tarot. Again, in French, quite long, but some very fine discussions.

Of those in English, I refer to Thirteen's notes here at Aeclectic which can now be dowloaded for a small donation.

Also, Mary Greer in Tarot for YourSelf offers a range of keywords that seem to be more broad than some other authors.

As for numbers, the discussions here on numbers in the Beginner's Thread on Tarot de Marseille is excellent and has excellent links:

http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1614

http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24507

http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24734

There are many books discussing the minors as applicable to pictures from various decks with illustrated pips. But so far, the discussions here at AT and the books in French seem to have the most helpful information for me.

terri

Fulgour

dolphinprincess said:
Are there books out there for decks with non-illustrated pips?
The Tarot by Rowenna Stuart
Collins Gem, Harper Collins pub.
isbn 0 00 472297-3
UK4.99 CAN9.95 US?

Rowenna presents an insightful overview of the cards and ways
to approach readings, and provides very good meanings, both for
upright and reversed positions. This is my go to reference.
I'd love to sit down and have a cup of coffee with her...

tmgrl2

Fulgour...Could you make a few brief comments about the
the book. Are the interpretations based on RW tradition or GD?

Just curious ...thanks for this reference.

terri

Fulgour

Marseille illustrations, plus

tmgrl2 said:
Are the interpretations based on RW tradition or GD?
Overall, the book is faithful to the Tarot itself, combining all the best elements of divinatory meanings without going to extremes of conformity. The wording allows you to get the feel of the cards, without putting words in your mouth.

There are attributions for each card, what I call Thoth standard, pretty much like the RW tradition anyway, and those are take it or leave no matter.

Key themes for dignified and ill-dignified provide sharp definations at a glance. The book is tiny, like a poker deck, but just as full of surprises. It's got more in it for its size than most all of the larger books with big type and wide margins.

Illustarations are from the Tarot de Marseille, and work very well.

tmgrl2

Great review Fulgour!

Thank you...
t2