Bohemian Gothic-The Lovers

Pagan X

My inner six-year old is right next to you kicking on the floor and screaming.

According to Place, Dan Curtis produced the Jack Palance dramatazation of Dracula, and did indeed add Dracula seeking his lost love as a plot element from Curtis' experience with that being a successful plot element in Dark Shadows.

Need to look up the screenplay writers for Dark Shadows: they deserve the credit for that addition to the Dracula Myth as we now tell it.

ncefafn

Pagan X said:
Need to look up the screenplay writers for Dark Shadows: they deserve the credit for that addition to the Dracula Myth as we now tell it.

My sister!

baba-prague

Maybe I ought to say that in my view of our new card, it's the girl who is making the choice. She is reaching for her locket (which of course contains a picture of her fiance) and on her ring is a - blood-red - engagement ring.

But the image is also open to the interpretation that it's the vampire who is making a choice if that's how you want to read it, it's just that that isn't primarily what was in our minds*. Personally I like the empowerment of the idea that she has some control in the matter. I have an idea that I know who she will choose though, and the vampire knows it too.

Of course, the fact that in this case the second edition card is a total change from the first is complicating the whole issue.

Attachments

• BG_Lovers.jpg
    BG_Lovers.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 148

Master_Margarita

baba-prague said:
Of course, the fact that in this case the second edition card is a total change from the first is complicating the whole issue.
Oh, yes, we can revisit each thread for each card to discuss the changes from edition one to edition two. Sounds like just my cup of tea, actually.

:heart: M_M~

Thirteen

baba-prague said:
I don't think the total change complicates the issue. I think it clarifies it. There was, as you see, some debate in the first edition about which was the vampire and I think most people assumed it was the man (though I always assumed it was the lady). The biggest change in the new Lovers is that the man looks much more clearly like the classic vampire. And the lady much more like the classic vampire love interest.

In the first edition she looked more victim-ish being in her peasant-looking outfit, like she had to give into the man because she was too poor and lowly to say "no." (That's if she was the victim--if she was the vampire, then she looked like she'd tricked the man and was taking advantage of him in that moment.) This new one is more classic--like she's his social equal (i.e., she can say "no"). The vampire does seem to have come because he's made up his mind to on the issue, and with eyes open, has explained it to her. Now it's her turn to make up her mind. So both are involved in the decision making process. I like that.

Also, it looks less like a feeding then a "turning." Making her into a vampire rather than just using her for dinner :D

WolfyJames

Frankly, after seeing yet again a new card from the second edition of the BG, I really dislike the new version. I don't want to sound harsh but to me nothing surpass the first, especially the silver version that I have.

Thirteen

WolfyJames said:
Frankly, after seeing yet again a new card from the second edition of the BG, I really dislike the new version. I don't want to sound harsh but nothing surpass the first, especially the silver version that I have.
But you've got that Silver edition and it's never going away. This isn't like your favorite tv show where they've replaced your favorite character with a new actor ;)

Pagan X

Oooh, it was Richard Matheson that wrote the screenplay for the Jack Palance made-for-tv Dracula...

baba-prague

WolfyJames said:
Frankly, after seeing yet again a new card from the second edition of the BG, I really dislike the new version. I don't want to sound harsh but to me nothing surpass the first, especially the silver version that I have.

I liked the first version too - although right now, I prefer the second (we are just at a different place mentally now and so we needed to re-envision the deck). But the feedback we got was that it was one of the least liked cards in the deck, so I think many people will be happier with the new version. As Thirteen says though, both decks will be around and available (well, the first version is becoming scarce but I think it's still possible to find it) so there will be a choice.

OctoberGwen

I quite liked the first version of this card. It was quirky and odd and fit perfectly with the rest of the deck.