Mercury in Scorpio 00 degrees

celticnoodle

As the title suggests, I re-did my astro chart and one thing that was shown is that I have Mercury in Scorpio at 00 degrees.

I went a step further and googled Mercury in Scorpio to see what the description for a person is with this--and it doesn't really sound like me at all. I was a bit surprised to see 00--I mean--what does that mean then? Shouldn't I have more of a degree of Mercury in another planet that would be better to list in my chart? (I did my chart online free). I'm just a bit confused as to how to read this and since I am not very good with astrology, thought I'd come here for some guidance in this position with the experts! :D

Thank you!

Minderwiz

Hi,

A placement of 00 degrees puts Mercury right on the cusp of the sign. The first degree begins at 0 degrees, just like any scale. Think of it like your age. You aren't born at 1 year old. You are in your first year, until you reach your first birthday, at which point your second year begins. So Mercury at 00 degees is just starting out in Scorpio. I would guess that there are minutes attached to those degrees, rather than it being 0 degrees precisely.

Now you are right to be a little suspicious of the reported placement, as even small errors in your data could push Mercury back into Libra or a little more forward into Scorpio.

The first source of error is your birth time. Even if this has been entered on your birth certificate, it might be slightly wrong. There isn't a registrar in the delivery room taking note of your exact time of birth. Instead a nurse or doctor will glance at the clock sometime after you are born. This might be a few minutes or if it's a difficult delivery perhaps half an hour later or more. Whatever the reason, this type of error puts your birth a little later than it actually is.

If you've not got a recorded birth time, you are likely to be dependent on your mother or other relative's memory. In which case you're likely to get a birth time something like 'around half past ten in the morning', which is a bit vague or even 'sometime after breakfast' which is even vaguer.

Other error sources can come the calculation algorithm used by the web page. Not all of them are particularly rigorous, or issues with whether daylight saving was or was not in force and was properly recorded (or at least adjusted correctly) For Mercury an hour can make a difference as it can move at over one and a half degrees in a day at it's fastest.

Other sources of error can include entering the time of birth incorrectly on the website, especially treating pm times as though they were am, with a chart that's twelve hours out.

I can double check that the data you have produces the result that you got, by entering it into one of my own Astrology programs. However if the error comes from recording your birth time incorrectly, it won't detect that.

A process called 'rectification' might. It attempts to find the chart that best fits your life. While the results are not guaranteed to be 'right' they can give you a chart that fits better than the one you have. In your case the changes would be marginal at most, if you have a recorded birth time, but 'marginal' is all we need here.

I don't use the 'personality' approach to planets. I'm very dubious about its value for Sun Signs (unless you were born at or around dawn) and I think the use for the planets is frankly worthless in cook-book terms. What matters most is which house the planet is in and which houses it rules in your chart. The sign placement gives some indication of how well it is able to express it's natural significations.

It's also worth remembering that if Mercury is around 0 Scorpio, your Sun is either in Libra, or its in Scorpio. From your post, I'm guessing that your Sun is actually in Libra.

If you want me to check, then PM me your date, time and place of birth and I will get back to you.

celticnoodle

Hi,

A placement of 00 degrees puts Mercury right on the cusp of the sign. The first degree begins at 0 degrees, just like any scale. Think of it like your age. You aren't born at 1 year old. You are in your first year, until you reach your first birthday, at which point your second year begins. So Mercury at 00 degees is just starting out in Scorpio. I would guess that there are minutes attached to those degrees, rather than it being 0 degrees precisely.

yes, there were two other signs, and after I posted this, and went back to look more at my 'chart', I noticed this. .06 degrees in Venus and .07 in Neptune (I think it is--the sign looks like a pitchfork with the 3 prongs pointing upwards and a line through the stick part of the symbol). :laugh: - can you tell, I'm not up to the standards here??? :p

Now you are right to be a little suspicious of the reported placement, as even small errors in your data could push Mercury back into Libra or a little more forward into Scorpio.

The first source of error is your birth time. Even if this has been entered on your birth certificate, it might be slightly wrong. There isn't a registrar in the delivery room taking note of your exact time of birth. Instead a nurse or doctor will glance at the clock sometime after you are born. This might be a few minutes or if it's a difficult delivery perhaps half an hour later or more. Whatever the reason, this type of error puts your birth a little later than it actually is.

Okay, well this is why I am re-doing the chart. My birth record does show the time - but the way it is written in, there is one number that isn't quite clear. My mother always said I was born at 11:58 pm. However, if you look at the time written in, the third number could be a "5" as mom says or a "3". So, I figured, "easy fix"---I can do another chart and see which one really seems to fit me best. And, for the most part the signs are fairly much the same--though a few various degrees. Anyway--this one was one that perplexed me when I furthered the search by googling "Mercury 00 degrees in Scorpio". It just doesn't sound like "me". As for someone taking exact notice of said birth, tbh, I didn't even think of that! But, it does make perfect sense, of course. I know I was a 'long' birth and a difficult one as I was a HUGE baby....

If you've not got a recorded birth time, you are likely to be dependent on your mother or other relative's memory. In which case you're likely to get a birth time something like 'around half past ten in the morning', which is a bit vague or even 'sometime after breakfast' which is even vaguer.
well, as I mentioned, I do have a birth record certificate with the time noted--but that one number is written so you can't quite make it out if it is a "3" or a "5". My brother, (who was 11 when I was born) also swears it was 11:58 pm, though he was only 11--and NOT at the hospital, so....

Other error sources can come the calculation algorithm used by the web page. Not all of them are particularly rigorous, or issues with whether daylight saving was or was not in force and was properly recorded (or at least adjusted correctly) For Mercury an hour can make a difference as it can move at over one and a half degrees in a day at it's fastest.

Other sources of error can include entering the time of birth incorrectly on the website, especially treating pm times as though they were am, with a chart that's twelve hours out.

I can double check that the data you have produces the result that you got, by entering it into one of my own Astrology programs. However if the error comes from recording your birth time incorrectly, it won't detect that.
Oh, that is so sweet of you! I'll PM you my information--and if you could do that, I'd be grateful. thank you! I know I didn't type it in wrong--as I double checked what I typed before sending it off, for BOTH times.

A process called 'rectification' might. It attempts to find the chart that best fits your life. While the results are not guaranteed to be 'right' they can give you a chart that fits better than the one you have. In your case the changes would be marginal at most, if you have a recorded birth time, but 'marginal' is all we need here.

I don't use the 'personality' approach to planets. I'm very dubious about its value for Sun Signs (unless you were born at or around dawn) and I think the use for the planets is frankly worthless in cook-book terms. What matters most is which house the planet is in and which houses it rules in your chart. The sign placement gives some indication of how well it is able to express it's natural significations.

Yes, well, I have always been told this too--and so I know not to take each planets position in the different signs as gospel truth--of course. But the one site I went to describing the Mercury in Scorpio for me was really WAAAAY off from me! When I noticed it was 00 degrees, it got me thinking, maybe it is due to that and I did think perhaps I should also look at the Mercury in Libra--though I didn't do that yet.

It's also worth remembering that if Mercury is around 0 Scorpio, your Sun is either in Libra, or its in Scorpio. From your post, I'm guessing that your Sun is actually in Libra.

If you want me to check, then PM me your date, time and place of birth and I will get back to you.

Yep! Sun is in Libra. 08 degrees. :D

Thank you for your help. Greatly appreciated and a PM is being sent after this is posted. :)

celticnoodle

:laugh: well, after I PM'd you my birth information, I went and googled "Mercury in Libra", and WE HAVE A HIT!!! :D

it is me. So that mystery is solved really. Its funny how things can pick up on us just due to our birth place, date and timing.

Minderwiz

:laugh: well, after I PM'd you my birth information, I went and googled "Mercury in Libra", and WE HAVE A HIT!!! :D

it is me. So that mystery is solved really. Its funny how things can pick up on us just due to our birth place, date and timing.

And you'd be right LOL

Mercury is actually at 29 degrees 54 minutes of Libra. The website you used rounded it to the nearest degree.

Now before you get carried away with the stock Mercury in Libra reading, I need to point out that in your chart (using whole sign houses) Mercury is in the eleventh house of friends, and rules the seventh house of partnerships, together with the tenth house of Career and social action. You have a Jupiter ruled Ascendant and a Venus ruled Sun. You are a gregarious person who communicates a lot through friendships, relationships and your role in Society. You also have an Aries Moon, which is closely applying to a trine - both your rational/logical mind and your intuitive/reactive mind are in tune.

If I were you, I'd be more interested in Venus in Scorpio LOL. (I know, I have one)

celticnoodle

wait a minute....the site I went and had my chart done in says I have a Pisces Moon--and that does sound a lot like me! :rolleyes: oh man--it may seem like my WHOLE chart is off then!!!

I did go and google and read a few different sites about the Moon in Airies and re-read also the Moon in Pisces. I seem to sound more like the Moon in Pisces quite honestly. Though, I can see in me the streak of fierce independence too that is characteristic of the Moon in Aires. I can be very independent and often had jobs where I was often working alone in my own little space. I excelled at all those positions too, tbh. But, if I had to choose which one really sounds the most like me, I would choose the Moon in Pisces. I also left home at an early age too--to get my independence.

Unlike the Moon in Aires though, I am able to wait for things to manifest. I'm a big planner--and realize that things take awhile to happen, so have no problems with being patient for that all important thing to take place.

I think I'm going to go through my chart again and read each sign over and include the ones closest to them as well--to see which one generally sounds most like me.

Thank you Minderwiz for your help and input. It is greatly appreciated!

Can you suggest a site that is free to go to - that I can again re-do my chart? Is there even a site like this? I went to a freebie site. I do sometimes consider just buying software to be put onto my computer to do this--but I don't want to spend a fortune doing so. If you could recommend something that is rather good but also inexpensive, I'd appreciate it too.

:livelong:

Barleywine

There are a number of free-to-download and simple-to-use astrology programs that would let you play with this off-line. Then you could see immediately what some of the variables do. Dave will probably point you at one of the traditional programs like Morinus, but I might start with one of the simpler ones like AstrolDL.

celticnoodle

ah! okay, thanks Barleywine. :)

Minderwiz

AAAGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elementary errors can be made by anyone and especially me LOL. I should have checked and rechecked your birth time but I was in a hurry to take my wife to a hospital appointment (just routine) and posted without checking.

I cast your chart for 11:38 AM, rather than 11:38 PM (I am also used to working with a 24 hour clock for software but that's a miserable excuse).

With the correct time, Mercury is in Scorpio (0 degrees 35 minutes) and the Moon is in Pisces (3 degrees 10 minutes)

You have a Cancer Ascendant(8 degrees 29) so your chart ruler is the Moon. You also have Mars at 5 Degrees Cancer.

OK that was a bad error and I'm going to slope off and read Astrology for beginners. At least the Moon and Mercury are still in trine, though it's now a separating one, so my point about rational and instinctive minds still holds.

On software, I'd suggest Halloran's Astrology for Windows which is the cheapest to register and has a full working Atlas. Morinus (full version, not the traditional one) actually works well and it's free. The Atlas facilities are not so good though. But as you can see, even with the best software you still get GIGO - Garbage In Garbage Out, unless you take great care, which I obviously didn't

celticnoodle

ROFL. Oh, Minderwiz, that is okay and thank you for re-doing it! :thumbsup:

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who does things like this. I so appreciate your time in doing this not just once but TWICE for me! :)

On software, I'd suggest Halloran's Astrology for Windows which is the cheapest to register and has a full working Atlas. Morinus (full version, not the traditional one) actually works well and it's free. The Atlas facilities are not so good though. But as you can see, even with the best software you still get GIGO - Garbage In Garbage Out, unless you take great care, which I obviously didn't

Okay, thanks, and I'll also consider these as well. Yeah, my rising sign in cancer, as you mentioned, 08 degrees; moon in Pisces, yes (my chart says 03 degrees),
Mercury in Scorpio as mentioned, and many more.

Glad your wifes appt. was just routine and hope all went well there. thank you again for your help here. :D

The Mercury in Libra still sounds MORE like me then the one in Scorpio, though. :)