reading w/a deck of card

de

I've heard you can read with playing cards.... can anyone help me out here, I like to know how thats done.
De

Major Tom

de (09 Sep, 2001 13:13):
I've heard you can read with playing cards.... can anyone help me out here, I like to know how thats done.
De

I've met people along the road who read with playing cards }>

The suits correspond - after all tarot were the originals that playing cards developed from. Clubs=wands Hearts=cups Spades=swords Diamonds=coins

I'd be making it up if I continued from there }>

There must be a book on the subject somewhere...

EveAnna

Hi de,

I've used playing cards for reading for a number of years. Its very similiar to tarot reading - you use a new deck, one that hasn't been used for games, and treat it with the respect you would a tarot deck.
The book I use is 'Fortune telling by playing cards' by Nerys Dee.
You'd probably be better hitting the libraries to see if they have books of Cartomancy in rather than buy a book of the shelf and find its not what you want.
The spreads are very similar to tarot spreads, you use a significator on some not on all. The suits correspond to the four elements, earth, air, fire, water. Hope this of of help to you :)

tarotbear

There is a book called 'Tarot of the Soul' by Belinda Atkinson. I used a copy of her descriptions and taped them to a regular deck of cards. I will tell you now that she 'sanitized' the meanings so there are no nasty things in them- she felt life was negative enough so Tarot did not have to be. (Why not have a deck of 78 World cards instead?)

de

Thanks!! I really appreciate the info.......
De

purplelady

I've taken an interest in learning to read regular playing cards , lately, for some reason.So I bought some decks of cards,but had no book (Though I know I saw directions in one of my tarot or wiccan books , but now can't find it anywhere). So I really had no clue, except I know that
diamonds= pentacles
hearts=cups
spades=swords
clubs=wands
and general numerology meanings and court card meanings.
And then the other day at the grocery store checkstand there was one of those mini books! "How to read cards"
O.k. corny and hokey I know , but it's a start ! And it's all I have at the time. Can't afford the bookstore right now.
So I threw a PPF spread for myself and got 5 spades, 8 hearts , and 9 hearts. I took that to be really positive ,as 5 spades ,surely negative , conflict etc was in the Past (The booklet actually called this "The death card"!) And took the hearts' cards (cups) to be positive for the future. The booklet said 9 hearts meant a large amount of cash would be coming my way! (hasn't happened yet!)