How did you find Tarot?

Audelia

Fantastic stories everyone - do keep them coming :) It's always so interesting to hear how people get drawn to Tarot.

illyria

I tumbled into the world of tarot very serendipitously.

It was my birthday, and I wanted to buy several knuckle rings at catbirdnyc.com. While browsing, I accidentally clicked on a tab that took me to another shop category, where the The Wild Unknown Tarot was on offer. I put it in my cart, together with the rings, and checked out. I ended up loving the deck more than the jewelry when I received the parcel, and I've been immersed in tarot ever since.

catcomeback

A friend gave me my first deck for my 13th or 14th birthday...tomorrow is my 25th and I haven't looked back.

Cenozoic

I was working at dead end job with an unsupportive family and no friends. The stress made me physically ill, and I had to visit the doctor a few times.

There was a library near the doctors, and I was intuitively drawn there. I would read all sorts of spiritual books when I went to and from work, to make myself feel better through the months that seemed so dark and gloomy.

Then one day I borrowed a tarot book, and tried it out on a normal deck of cards thinking it won't work. But it did, and then I saw the magic that was missing from my life.

So then I started learning tarot, and I learned all the cards and read them intuitively in 6 months, which seems really fast. But for some reason, when you need something as much as you need life itself, that you'll eat, sleep, and dream about it, then I think you'll learn anything in 6 months time.

When it seemed like no one in the world supported me, I found something that supported me and gave me advice, which I in turn gave back to the world. Maybe I just turned lemons into lemonade.

rainbow.sprinkles

I got drawn into studying paganism and wicca when I was 15, and I guess studying tarot just kind of came into my life as a natural part of that. I started spending a lot of time in the "new age" section of chapters, and started looking at all the tarot decks, and just loved them. loved the artwork, the beauty, the whole idea of it. bought myself a basic beginner's deck and then ended up buying a couple more decks and now I swear if I had the money I would buy nearly all of them.

Mystica7

Do I even remember...

16 years ago (while I was 15) I had bought a tarot magazine (which I still keep) coming with a deck. Am not sure about the name of the deck now, but it was symbologycally pretty advanced for a beginner.

I always had an interest in such (metaphysical/spiritual) subjects.

Ariadne

My mom brought a deck of the Tarot de Marsailles home from a trip to Salem. She never used them, but at 9 years old, I was captivated by the imagery and started learning about them from that day on. I use a Wild Unknown deck, currently, but have a soft spot for the Tarot de Marsailles. The deck, sadly, has been lost over the years.

hedface

I'd been going to weekly meetings with my spiritual discussion group for about a month when one day, someone brought in some tarot decks looking for homes. I had known some people who were into tarot, but I didn't think it would be something I could do, and honestly was pretty skeptical of the whole thing.
There were 3 decks that they brought. I remember one of them was the Gilded tarot, and the images sort of clashed to me so I resisted. They kept encouraging me to try out the other ones because they had a funny feeling. I gave in and picked up a deck and immediately my hand felt like it was on fire. I couldn't even tell what it was because they had wrapped it in a pretty blue cloth. When I opened it, it was the Tarot of the Old Path. I smiled and started ruffling through the cards immediately.
The friend said that that particular deck didn't like anybody, but I didn't get that vibe. It felt true, and I was fascinated. So they let me keep it, and I've never looked back.

Honestly, it's driving me crazy trying to remember what that third deck was. I just didn't even bother with it because Old Path didn't want to leave my hands.

cheesecake

wow!

I have been reading all these posts where each one is so beautifully gifted with their experiences and their love for the Tarot that it shames me. It shames me because I am not even close to the kind of awareness that everyone of you have or attained or will be able to share. I am still going to try, because I learnt a lot from your experiences. Yeah, even if it is just about telling you how I came across the tarot.
Well, to begin with, I am no expert in reading the tarot, but I try. I have been trying for the past one and a half year. I definitely can't recall having had any encounter with a tarot reader. All I remember is that it was a year before my father passed away (2014) and I was in this terrible relationship when I really wanted to know where and what I was doing. I also had a thesis going on about sublime experiences. I think at that point of time I was reading a lot of psychoanalytical stuff that was changing the way I saw things and it effected me at various levels. I, anyway, had premonitory dreams that were very traumatising and confusing since I was a child. I could see things that I could never explain, but talking about it to anyone would have meant many things that I had never been quite clear about because people responded differently.
Much later, to my utmost delight, I realised that I came from a family of many esoteric believes and practices. I am from a Hindu Kali praying family with many interesting stories.
I bought my first Rider-Waite tarot deck online and, later, purchased another set of cards which looked professional to me because I was going nuts about the artwork. Lately, I discovered that there's just too much around and I am so happy. Of course, I can't buy all. I am yet to understand a lot more to expand on my introduction to the art of reading, but this is the first post I was hoping to make once I got here. Thank you for all your stories.

Ayram

I have been reading all these posts where each one is so beautifully gifted with their experiences and their love for the Tarot that it shames me. It shames me because I am not even close to the kind of awareness that everyone of you have or attained or will be able to share. I am still going to try, because I learnt a lot from your experiences. Yeah, even if it is just about telling you how I came across the tarot.
Well, to begin with, I am no expert in reading the tarot, but I try. I have been trying for the past one and a half year. I definitely can't recall having had any encounter with a tarot reader. All I remember is that it was a year before my father passed away (2014) and I was in this terrible relationship when I really wanted to know where and what I was doing. I also had a thesis going on about sublime experiences. I think at that point of time I was reading a lot of psychoanalytical stuff that was changing the way I saw things and it effected me at various levels. I, anyway, had premonitory dreams that were very traumatising and confusing since I was a child. I could see things that I could never explain, but talking about it to anyone would have meant many things that I had never been quite clear about because people responded differently.
Much later, to my utmost delight, I realised that I came from a family of many esoteric believes and practices. I am from a Hindu Kali praying family with many interesting stories.
I bought my first Rider-Waite tarot deck online and, later, purchased another set of cards which looked professional to me because I was going nuts about the artwork. Lately, I discovered that there's just too much around and I am so happy. Of course, I can't buy all. I am yet to understand a lot more to expand on my introduction to the art of reading, but this is the first post I was hoping to make once I got here. Thank you for all your stories.

Cheesecake (love your name by the way... you're making me hungry!),
I so relate to what you wrote about feeling unworthy! I have so much tarot-related junk you'd think I'd be a pro but no - I still am just barely and very slowly feeling my way through, only studying on occasion and shuffling mostly for fun. BUT, having said that, everyone for whom I've done a "reading" has told me that I'm very good at it. Which is hilarious considering half the time I have to look things up in a book while doing it! I only do it for friends though. It's true though - I think I have potential. ;) As do you it sounds like!

2 days ago as a matter of fact, I did readings for two friends sitting at my dining room table. We got all into it, lighting a candle that I use just for this purpose and I let her choose from a handful of decks. When she heard the Waite deck (forget the name - which version - the one with the stars on the back) was the deck that "never lies" to me, she wanted that one of course. What was this major milestone for me - small as it sounds - was that even though I just did a 3-card spread for her, I've finally gotten to the point that I know enough about each card to be able to say a lot about it before opening up the books. Because they're good buddies, they sat while we looked up each card in the books anyway, and I'd been spot on with my explanation! :) But the best part was that I was able to put all 3 cards into context really well. Obviously I knew them so knew enough to be able to relate the cards but they were very strong cards regardless and very relevant to her circumstance. Anyway I'm rambling but that was the first time I did a reading without having to look things up, haha. Did it anyway!!