Decks in Tins

Barleywine

There seems to be a surge in interest over decks that come in tins. Is this because it protects them better when they're carried around? Because the tins are more durable in general? Because of the "cool" factor? I admit that I like them as replacements for the original box when that inevitably becomes damaged. I've been taking old square or rectangular tins that candy or Christmas cards came in, applying a little spray paint (right now my Thoth is sitting in an unpainted, Christmas-themed candy box, something I'm sure Crowley never envisioned :)) and maybe sticking on a printed label with one of the card images for identification. Since I seldom travel with my cards, I was just buying those small wooden chests from Michaels, but I really like tins and will have to see if I can find a source.

kalliope

For me, it's mostly about the deck size that comes in a tin: pocket, or approximately poker size. That's just my favorite. Easy to handle, not too big or too small. Just right.

But the tins themselves are a draw for me too. For a while I was researching where I could get perfectly sized tins for Lenormand decks. Tins are more protective than most tarot bags, more durable than the boxes they come in, they don't come open easily in a bag/purse/luggage, and are much easier to get the deck in and out of than the boxes anyway. If the deck comes with its own tin it's just one less carrying case you have to worry about finding for the thing!

Little_Bear

For me it's a combination of being easier for me to shuffle, portability and durability.
Also, the cute factor does play into it a little bit too.

I think it's nice to have a deck in it's own branded tin. My Vanessa Tarot fits in my handbag and doesn't take up much space when laid out for a reading.

Calcifer

I spend a lot of time in the forest... camping fishing, etc.. and pocket sized is perfect for portability :thumbsup: I always have a deck with me...

Michael

Padma

I like the durability and protective quality of tins - I travel a lot - they are water-resistant, and they stay closed, always a plus! I hate having to rubber-band a deck box closed. It destroys the box over time.

Tins are also colorful and attractive - I have always liked them, especially nostalgic ones. And they are lighter and sleeker than boxes!

Madrigal

Something about a deck in its own tin says, I'm ready to head out into the world with you with style and durability :D The whole thing feels complete. And I guess the retro aspect is a factor, too. A small, decorative tin box is more durable and creative than cardboard. It requires more thought, artistry and effort which in turn puts me in mind of slower, more intentional times. Amazing, the intangibles that affect the presentation of a deck.

greatdane

While I would LOVE a pocket size in a tin....

it's the SIZE factor that matters most to me. I don't just want a regular size deck in a tin, I want the pocket size. Some publishers can't just whip up a tin or may think not cost effective. I don't want that to stop them making a smaller size deck.

If I can't have BOTH, I want the smaller deck over the tin.

With that side, yes, I would LOVE Robert Place's Vampire Tarot in a pocket size! Preferably in a tin, but borderless, rounded and the images kept as large as possible is what most matters to me. TINS ARE LOVELY, but it's size that matters to me here.

Grizabella

Michaels does have tins sized to hold RW sized cards. They're three or four dollars, I think. I don't know of a source for the ones like Halloween in a tin or Vanessa, but if anyone else knows, let us know. Halloween in a tin and Vanessa come in their own tins but the mini decks Lo Scarabeo puts out could stand a tin, too, I think.

Babalon Jones

I love the portability of a tin and how the cards can get put into a backpack or pocket or bag and not get bent corners. The tin itself will get scuffed but the cards stay pristine. If you do portable tarot magic techniques then the pocket size (cards around the size of a business card) are a plus.

When I made tins for the pocket size edition of the Rosetta I lined them with a silk ribbon as wide as the tin, that wraps and cushions the cards so they are even more protected and also is used to lift them out of the tin's cavity. It was a lot of work measuring, cutting and attaching 555 of them though!

If you want to make your own tins for various decks the problem is finding the right size tin and every deck is different. Trimming a full size deck and putting a steeper corner round sometimes helps. Altoid tins are not deep enough for a 78 card deck. Papermart online sells lots of different size tins but I think you need to buy in bulk.

Amanda

Tins are good for lots of reasons:

Protective against:

• Liquids
  • Smells
  • Travel damage
  • Storage damage
You should see my RWS that I've had since I started tarot. All of the top box flaps have ripped off, the box is worn and dirty (so are the cards) and the cards barely fit in the box anymore because I've used them so much and they've 'fluffled out'. I still put them in the box though to try to keep them in tact.

It's mainly the cool-factor for me. I wouldn't want a standard-size deck in a tin though. Maybe a sturdier box for the larger decks, like what the Gilded Reverie Lenormand box is made of (I think the pocket Universal Waite is made with the same type of box)... and more tarot decks the size of the GR in general (I think that's a poker-size)... but I'm definitely attracted to practical storage in most areas of my life, not just tarot.

I picked up a couple of plastic crayon boxes at the beginning of this past school year for .50 each and have a homemade Lenormand stored in one of them. It fits perfectly. Love the storage. I have bought things just because the container was cool and I could see myself using it for something else. (Most recently it was a couple of tubs of cotton candy, because I thought the container would be a good art project for the kids to decorate and put their change or something in -- the cotton candy didn't taste too bad either! :D)

These card publishers could probably tap into a whole other market if they created a storage solutions for the decks.