Deck of the Week : Sign-up Thread: Week 194 : April 18 - April 24

AJ

this is week 400 for me. Amazing, and the cards tell me something new every day.

I've narrowed the enormous herd down very much and seldom get a new deck, so I occasionally take two weeks with a deck that hits the spot...

VGimlet

I haven't started downsizing yet, but when I do, there will be quite a few decks on my list to re-home.

Late last year I started the process of going through the decks I liked the first time through. It's been interesting to find out how my tastes have changed since I began buying decks.

Spending 4 solid weeks with each deck ended up not working for me, now I spend a couple weeks with one deck, use a new one, and back to the other one. Plus this way I stay caught up when I do buy new decks.

Except this month, when I ended up with a few pre-orders coming early, and a few other new decks, so I'm playing catch up in April.

I am not sure about the Tarot of the Orishas so far. It seems kind of earthy and primitive, which I find both appealing and somewhat off-putting at the same time.

SarahJoy

I'm not at a point where I need to start culling the herd yet. Give me time. :)

I -am- at a point where decks can be forgotten or overlooked, though. I think I've had the Absurd for at least a year now, but haven't looked at it since I got it, so it was a great choice, jema!

The Absurd, at first glance, is charming and enigmatic. I enjoy the crisp black and white art -- I know digitally created decks get a lot of flack here on the forum, but the Absurd shows that CGI doesn't have to look soulless or artificial.

I'm looking forward to studying the cards in more depth. Some of the cards are easy-reading RWS variants, but many are intriguing whimsies of the artist's imagination, beguiling and baffling, demanding thought and consideration.

AJ

I was well into the process of downsizing my stuff by half when I came to tarot in 2007 so shedding what I didn't like wasn't an effort.
I was also making 1/2 my living by parting out personal estates on ebay so flipping things didn't require much thought or effort.
I've also had both breast and lung cancer in the last few years, which also presents another tendency to review 'stuff' and fling the dross. :)

swedishfish612

Would love to hear any impressions you care to share about working with this deck.

I'm enjoying it tremendously. This deck has been quite a surprise for me. I've never been into mermaids or anything nautical, but I was drawn to the imperfect but charming artwork and the colors. When it came in, I spent an evening going through every card slowly and noticing all of the fun little details.

Reading with it has been a pleasure so far. I did a few readings for some friends and they went pretty well. Because I enjoy the artwork so much, I spend more time looking at the cards and thinking about them.

RiverRunsDeep

I was looking for this thread and realized I had no idea what today's date is.
Oh my goodness....

Doing ancestor work with tarot has been a new experience for me, and I think the Ghost Tarot has been a good choice. I've found many new layers and insights by using the cards this way. Not a deck I would pick up regularly though. I'm definitely ready to move on to a deck with a different "mood".

SarahJoy

Okay. More notes on the Absurd:

Here's an alphabetized list of the adjectives I wrote In my notes about this deck: baffling, beautiful, bizarre, charming, dynamic, elegant, enigmatic, enjoyable, expressive, fascinating, humorous, joyous, sensual, stark, unique, whacky, and whimsical.

Cardstock is thin/whippy and feels like it would be easily creased, scratched, or damaged. Large borderless cards. Strong world influences -- Greek, Mesopotamian, Mesoamerican, African, mid-century modern. Unfortunately, the cards are un-edgeable: the fronts are black background with white figures, so in theory, the edges should be black -- except, the backs are white background with black images.

My favorite part about the deck is the artist's unique and specific vision. I've really been enjoying reading her blog, notes on each card.

Madrigal

I'm continuing to be enlivened by the Ancestral Path. Such empowering and realistic feminine images and a range of cultures combined with the gorgeous art makes it a winner. It reads very intuitively, too, though I'd like a copy of the book for the backstory that goes with the Minors.

Swedishfish, your positive experience with the DD deck has me eyeing it for rotation into my deck-a-week studies. I'm not feeling particularly watery at the moment but I know the time will come when I am and I think that'll be the deck I go to.