Discrediting your own predictions to your sitter

MissNine

That was simply a question. What I ended up with was an accurate possible outcome.

I don't give predictions. I offer possible outcomes.
Ok. Thanks for the clarification. :)

JackofWands

I don't make predictions at all with Tarot. So I suppose there isn't really anything to equivocate about afterwards. If someone asks a question like "Will we get the house?" I'll explain that I can't read for a question like that, and that's the end of it.

danieljuk

Discrediting is a strong term to use, I stand by all my readings and put quite a lot of work and effort into every one. But a lot of people ask future questions and I do say to take what I say or write as it is! I could get it wrong! it's a prediction! There isn't a single diviner out there who can guarantee their predictions 100%! Maybe the person changes things or changes direction, before the reading comes true or maybe the reader has got something wrong. The sitter has to know that! They can't rely on it 100% and it would be dangerous to say that!

Someone asked me recently for a specific prediction for them and I did make that prediction and then really talked it down in my writing :) They told me I was really spot on with the rest of the reading before the future part and I should have more confidence in my readings. I think that is the balance, we have to have confidence and faith in our readings but also not sell them as absolute! I often do "this is just for fun" which is such a cop out, I have to have more faith in it! There is a balance to be had here by both the sitter and reader and predicting :)

tarotbear

We're going in circles here, IMHO.

Why would you 'badmouth' your own readings?

Michael Sternbach

I don't say to the sitter: "I might be wrong", but I don't speak in absolutes either. I might say: "It looks like...", or: "based on that we can assume..." I don't use Tarot for making predictions, primarily, but for reflecting what is in one's mind. Once they are more conscious of it, they have more of a say in what they are going to experience.

It is important that as a Tarot reader you show yourself confident but not smart-alecky.

MissNine

I'm kind if surprised that readers do not use tarot for future prediction. I think it's because in the U.S., no one says "Gee, I really need a tarot reading. I want validation on past and present that i already know about." When friends come to me, the want to know how things will turn out or move forward in their life.

Returning back to start....

Confidence in predicting ....
How do you feel about the readers that discount their predictions by saying "But, it's only a prediction. Maybe it won't turn out, maybe it will!"

mrpants

I'm kind if surprised that readers do not use tarot for future prediction. I think it's because in the U.S., no one says "Gee, I really need a tarot reading. I want validation on past and present that i already know about." When friends come to me, the want to know how things will turn out or move forward in their life.

MissNine, can you clarify your statement? Why are you surprised by readers that do not do predictive readings? What do you mean by "in the U.S...."?

mrpants

Actually, it's off topic. Please disregard.

Michael Sternbach

I'm kind if surprised that readers do not use tarot for future prediction.

Assuming that your post is a reply to mine: I said I don't use Tarot for that purpose primarily. I do include future positions in my spread but regard them rather as signposts that are saying things like: "Watch out, on this course you will run into trouble", or: "Yes, go on and you will find what you are looking for".

I think it's because in the U.S., no one says "Gee, I really need a tarot reading. I want validation on past and present that i already know about."

Just because something is in the past or present doesn't mean that one would necessarily know about it. Tarot is a powerful tool to bring important aspects into consciousness that the querent is not aware of or tries to neglect.

When friends come to me, the want to know how things will turn out or move forward in their life.

Returning back to start....

When you give a prediction on the future or possible outcome, are you confident?
Or do you follow up with a statement that will give you a way out in case you're wrong?

Nope. I don't need one because my querents know that I don't claim to see the future with absolute certainty to begin with, not because of a lack of reading ability but because it's not possible. Even Yoda said this to Luke Skywalker - and who am I to doubt him...

MissNine

The subject I wanted to put in question on this thread is about presenting predictions/future information to the sitter...not about if cards tell you the likely outcome of the situation when you ask about it.

I'm asking about situations where you lay a Celtic cross, for instance, and you see the coming future and outcome cards. do you include statements that cast doubts to your ability to interpret what the cards predict the future will be? Do you tell them what you see and say "but don't hold me to it. I'm not psychic. I don't know what will happen. It's just a prediction."

Be they predictions, possible outcomes, future possibilities, my point is that when you tell the sitter this future information, are you insecure about it? Do you say "but don't trust me on this, because I could be wrong" to the sitter?

If you do predictive tarot readings on the forum, do you add at the end of the reading, "but please don't put any faith in this because I don't know what will happen"?