9 of Coupes — How it may be read.

conversus

I'd like to start a short discussion of the TdM 9 of Coupes:

I see the nines as pivotal in the cycle, standing on the Threshold—the very cusp of complete accomplishment. In such a situation the unfolding matter may be plagued by a loss of nerve, hesitation, a humiliating failure-to-complete; otherwise the nines can represent a generous, humanitarian, charitable, Success.

In this particular image I tend to see that a very generous abundance of the Aqua Vita is definitely available for one and/or your community in this moment : emotional security; generosity; success in creative, domestic, or spiritual efforts.

The foliation plays a big part in this image— it clearly connotes structure, departmentalization. In a particular reading one must ask does it reveal a dynamic matrix of life-giving support of family or community ; or does it reveal a dynamic of rigidity or isolation?

Further thoughts?

cups09.jpg

CED

Moonbow

So glad to see these threads started by jmd, being continued and hopefully added to. Each thread encourages us to look deeper into the card, and I have found that my views of each card continue to evolve.

When all we have is the implement, the number and the image to go by those three aspects must surely be paramount in deciding how the card could be read. I would like to throw something out there about this card which I'm not altogether set on yet, but its food for thought. Paul Huson considers Cups to possibly relate to the virtue of Temperance (the others being; La Force=Batons, Justice=Swords and Prudence (with mirror [or coin?])= Coins. Prudence is a mystery of course, but for the moment I like to think of the missing Prudence to be the Hermit).

So, words that could be used to read this card could centre around the following: Cups; vessels, Temperance and the mixing of liquids to balance. The number Nine; the ending, outcome, the lowest of the low or the highest of the high before change. And the image; nine cups all spaced and separated, none touching the other of part of the other.

Perhaps this card points to change, to transform.

Bernice

Moonbow: Perhaps this card points to change, to transform.

This suddenly reminded me of the Hedge-witch meaning for the 9's (playing cards) = "The 9 heralds changes".

Now thinking that because the pips existed before the trumps, some of the cartomancy card meanings could be used - or perhaps be modified to suit the tarot deck being used.

Bee :)

Paul

If we follow Jodorowsky's and Camoin's approach, the Neuf de Coupe is primarily L'Hermite expressed in Les Coupes, also informed by the new construction of Le Soleil. (VIIII, XVIIII).

Thus, this card is a mature love, altruistic, conscious, seasoned, autumnal feeling. As an odd number, the 9 is still active (masculine). So, there is a harvesting of what was planted before, an effort to understand it, integrate it. We are at the horizon, which is a time of hope and reflection.