There was a wish: A new Forum

Titadrupah

I was referring to what you call a group, as a sub-forum. But yes, it would be a 6th group. I just corrected my post.

Huck

I was referring to what you call a group, as a sub-forum. But yes, it would be a 6th group. I just corrected my post.

Okay.

Actually I don't know about the procedere, how Aeclectic build new groups. One condition is, that enough persons express their interest in the project. Another might be, that Aeclectic is surely interested to have Forums with some content, and not Forums, which don't get their life.
So actually it might be, that the suggestion will be made from Aeclectic to start the new forum as a subforum of another already existing Forum, perhaps connected to the promise, that it will become a "full accepted forum", if a specific number of threads and post is reached.

As a comparison ... the Golden Dawn subforum has now 66 threads and about 1200 posts. And it is (still ?) a subforum.

gregory

I suppose much rests on what the purpose of this speculation is intended to be. If it is to drive new directions of thought and investigation in learning the truth, ie history, then ultimately it must be subject to rigourous critique or it cannot begin to contribute to that goal.

However, if the speculations are not to be open to serious critique, then something like 'flights of fancy' would be right, as that is all it can amount to. However, if they are to be open to critique, then the existing forum should be sufficient. It is not that historians object to speculative threads, they object when such threads are poorly presented to look as if they are intended to be something more substantial. Let's be generous and call this a misunderstanding - something that can be dealt with by posting a clear guide for posters, one that goes so far as to suggest how best to present a post so that such errors won't happen again.
The issue is that the self-defined REAL historians here - whenever a theory is posted for speculation on what might be true (see under Behenian stars where - for once - it didn't happen) leap upon the posters who want to discuss it (discussion is NOT the same as criticism, BTW: I happen to hate the word critique here; "criticism" is perfectly valid, meaning the same thing, and does NOT intrinsically mean negative feeling and finding fault) - and effectively say if you aren't a proper historian like us, and cannot adduce proof, go away - you don't belong here. This has been going on so long that I am not sure how it can be ended without a subforum for these discussions, where these people who pour cold water on speculative discussion of unsubtantiated theory can have it pointed out that speculative theories are allowed.

I would agree that there have been threads where someone has tried to state things as facts that are clearly shown not to be, and that it is very annoying when they keep saying "but I believe it so it is a fact." As one trained in music, I would be very annoyed if someone started a thread to argue that Beethoven lived before Mozart was born, and carried on saying but if you look at xyz, as Mozart used it and Beethoven didn't, he must have come later, or something. But that isn't how the killing of speculative discussion usually happens.

Tarot Myth: Ideology, Mystery, & Possibility
Not Myth - that immediately suggests it isn't "true" - and some speculations might turn out to be.

If it is speculation, it is not necessarily history. History is the study of past events. Speculations based on historic data and the events around the history of your topic make sense and we have a forum for it...
One in which those who say they know best stamp on such speculation with a mighty boot.
but speculations based on personal ideas with a foundation only the one speculating can connect the dots to is likely not history, it is fantasy.
If you think you can connect the dots and want to get other people to try and help - being stamped on is unhelpful and unpleasant.
I think enough is known about tarot that many of the alternative branches can be decisively discounted. If there is a new forum I would not like to see it as a sub forum in history, but rather in talking tarot, since we are asking for opinions :) I at one time had a pet theory the cards (Mamluks) came originally from Persian carpet designs, the symbols in them were taken out and put onto paper... I no longer believe this and I was able to disprove it fairly well before talking about it ( until now) on a forum. ;)
I'd have liked to see that as a thread. Even if not true, the links with the designs would have been fascinating.

Titadrupah

Huck: A celebrity death match can always be organized if the numbers turn out to be low. Two or three mentions of pyramids and gypsies and bloodthirst would be aroused instantly, for the benefit of all audiences. Rating guaranteed. ; )

gregory

Huck: A celebrity death match can always be organized if the numbers turn out to be low. Two or three mentions of pyramids and gypsies and bloodthirst would be aroused instantly, for the benefit of all audiences. Rating guaranteed. ; )

That is EXACTLY what I would like to see an end to. Why SHOULDN'T people be allowed to talk about pyramids or gypsies without being constantly called out ? Just because it has been pretty ,much disproved doesn't mean it cannot be interesting as a springboard. But if that is going to be the attitude, that kind of makes my case about how the less pleasant among the self-titled SERIOUS HISTORIANS will always treat us lesser mortals who like to bandy about interesting ideas

DAMN that's sad.

cardlady22

Not Myth - that immediately suggests it isn't "true" - and some speculations might turn out to be.
:grin: I suppose this terminology association goes back to my love of reading mythology in literature classes. We had the most interesting discussions, wondering about the factors in history (various nations & people being assimilated/conquered, etc.) that may have colored the stories.

ETA: In my mind, myth is not a bad thing.

gregory

It is only the terminology I mind - the idea that the whole area was imaginary, and there could not be any truth in it, like. Myths as related to tarot would be lovely :) I LOVE talking about the various mythologies !

AJ

I'm not clear why this thread has been left in Historical Research

cardlady22

I'm not clear why this thread has been left in Historical Research
?? I know there is no dedicated Moderator listed for this forum.