Smith-Waite Centennial deck is THE definitive RWS -- a must-have!

gregory1956

I've been using my US Games Rider Waite deck since 1981, and I was satisfied with the colours -- not too bright and not too muted (and no US Games copyright on the front of the cards in the lower right-hand corner). The card stock is quite thick and substantial, and the cards have a completely matte in finish; no glossy coating at all, which I like.

Recently, however, I purchased the Smith-Waite Centennial Tarot Deck that comes with the Pamela Colman Smith Commemorative Set. At first, I thought that the colours were a bit dark, but after using it for several weeks, it is absolutely my go-to deck. The more muted palette of the cards gives them a more mystical appearance, and the back of the cards features the rose from the Death card along with Smith's monogram (in other words, not the bland blue-and-black tartan design that US Games has been using ever since the company started printing the RWS deck in 1971). The US Games copyright is still there in the lower-right corner, but it's small and relatively unobtrusive.

If you're looking for the definitive version of this iconic tarot deck, the Centennial deck is a must-have.

MissChiff

I have the deck in a tin.... I second this vote..

Desecrated

I hope they do a giant version of it.

starla

I love this deck too - everything about it - and it's my go to deck for clear answers.

Richard

I have around eight different editions of the RWS, and this is absolutely my favorite, both the regular size Centennial as well as the one in a tin.

Aeric

I'll be that guy.

I'm disagreeing here. This is still an altered version of the actual, original complete artifact "Pam-A" decks, from the lost original plates, in possession of several people in the world. It's still a version US Games got to subtly alter in order to make it their "own."

The signature on the back of the cards is missing the dot in Pam's regular monogram that's present on most of the cards, as well as where it appears on her non-Tarot work. It's an artistic choice, to be sure, but when it's so frequent, you'd think that reproducing her signature for the back of a deck created as an homage to her would include it. The monogram isn't even symmetrical to begin with so putting the dot in wouldn't have changed anything.

The muted colour choices for the cards are also not the exact tones of the original cards, for which archival-quality scans are available online.

In a matter of seven or eight years, the question of when the long-disputed Waite copyright ends in all countries will be unarguably over and no company could contest it. I'm sure US Games will attempt to make one final version of the deck to alter and sell as their own before then. But once that's over we'll be able to freely make and sell a deck based on the scans of the original cards, including the orange "crackle back" version which has never been made, and no copyright date!

As far as I'm concerned, when that deck is produced, that will be THE definitive RWS, a museum-quality replica, produced to our own satisfaction without marketing ploys changing a single thing about colours, backs, or signatures. Virtually the only thing we'd change for practical reasons is the cardstock, and for that you can choose any kind you like.

Granted, in that time we'll also see a bevy of RWS products foisted on us, including no doubt coffee mugs and toilet paper (Don't like a card? Wipe with it). We'll have different marketing schemes to resist.

Until then, I'm quite satisfied with the Smith-Waite Centennial book alone, which is worth its weight in gold and LONG overdue compared to yet another deck, and waiting patiently for that day using a different version :)

Emily

It will be interesting to see what happens when the Waite copyright does end up in the public domain.

But for now the Centennial deck is also my go to RWS. I like the artificial ageing, the colours used and the cardstock. I've never been very keen on the colours used on the other Rider Waites and will probably never get my hands on a vintage deck so I'm very happy using this one and also the mini version in a tin. :)

delizt

that will be THE definitive RWS, a museum-quality replica, produced to our own satisfaction without marketing ploys changing a single thing about colours, backs, or signatures. Virtually the only thing we'd change for practical reasons is the cardstock, and for that you can choose any kind you like.
/QUOTE]

Aeric, I agree, while I do like my Centennial RWS in the tin, the backs bother me! the signature was overkill... plain rose would have been my preference or a truly "authentic" back.

Yelell

I don't like the dirty look of the borders especially. The backs are ok, but I don't love them. I only have the tin version, but I've given up trying to like it and will probably just chuck it.

Calcifer

I'm with Gregory1956 on every point here. I'd been through a couple of versions of the RWS over the years and the Commemorative is my absolute favorite (have a couple of standard size and two in tins). As much as I love a few other decks - this is also my "go to"..... love it, love it, love it...
Michael