Am I Procrastinating?

SagiChar

So, I'm fairly new to tarot, and have done a tarot journal. I first started with writing my card definition and keywords on sheets of paper, then, transposed them into a notebook, (changing and rethinking my keywords and notes), and now, am AGAIN transposing my notes and keywords into yet another notebook (just a 3 ring binder type so I can add/remove notes as I need to). I guess my question is...do any of you find yourself ever doing this?

I almost feel like I've been scouring books, internet definitions, reading others interpretations here on AT, and somehow second guessing all my work (it's not really MY work...I've used my LWB and some books for reference), but I also try to "intuit" my cards, but have found the Aquarian Tarot a very hard deck to "intuit"...do you think I'm procrastinating on just sticking with one set of terms/definitions and going with it (because sometimes I'll find myself going from one journal to the other to make my card definitions fit) I'm just wondering why I'm so hard set against sticking with one set of keywords/definitions?!!!

Grizabella

Yes, I definitely think you could be procrastinating with all the journaling. You'd learn a lot more by using your deck instead of just writing endlessly in your journals. If you can't use this particular deck, then find another one you'd connect with better and try that one instead.

I agree that the Aquarian can be a difficult one to read with if you're just trying to go by intuition alone when you're first learning to read Tarot. But from the sound of it, you should have memorized enough card definitions by now to incorporate them into readings even if you don't feel an intuitive connection with your cards.

I think you should put the journals aside and start doing more readings, either for yourself, for imaginary people or for friends using just the cards alone. Later on, once you're into the swing of doing actual readings with the cards, then move back to the journals to journal your readings and the meanings you saw in the cards that way.

SagiChar

I couldn't agree with you more...I guess I AM indeed procrastinating! I feel like my journals are my crutches, and if I DON'T bring them with me to do a reading, that I'll be lost without them! Although I do know a good majority of the cards....the court cards always mess with my head ALOT!

I'm tossed up about the Aquarian deck, because although I can't intuit them well, they HAVE given me very good readings, so I'm hesitant to buy a new deck...although, if I did want to buy a new deck....is there one that is better than another for purely intuit...any suggestions out there?

I WILL try letting go and TRY to do a few readings without my journals...and see what happens, I DO have a few friends that are kind enough to let me experiment on them!! Thanks so much for replying...I appreciate your wisdom!

Pam O

I have the Aquarian, and I don't read with it. I've pulled cards, stared at them, then grabbed another deck and received messages. So, I too agree with: try another deck. There are tons to choose from. And see what just flows, looking at the symbols in the card, or however you like to read... Cards mean so many different things depending on your question. One of the easiest decks for me to read is the Halloween, any time of year. The key is to find what deck(s) you connect with, and ENJOY! :D

canid

I'm one of those people that needs to write something down in order to retain it. If that's even possible :bugeyed: . Some people are just like that. Only you can tell if it's helping or hindering you. At one point, I adhered post-it notes to the backs of my cards with not only trad keywords, but my own. Made shuffling a bit difficult but it became a safety net, which I didn't even need. Again, you are your worst critic, & only you can judge whether you really need it. Take baby steps?

SagiChar

Pam O and Griz, thanks for the insight on the Aquarian deck...I almost thought maybe I was the only one that struggled with this deck because I was a newbie! I really like the deck for what it has given me so far (some really great experiences for both myself and a few of my sitters/friends), but quite possibly soon, I may want to start hunting down for a new one that I CAN connect (intuit) better. The Halloween deck is very interesting!!

And Canid, I am exactly like you are...needing to write things down to imbed them into my mind! If only I could just copy them over into the next journal without having to make changes/adjustments, I think I would be fine...I am always second guessing my keywords/definitions almost like I feel they don't quite fit, or somehow if I could just find that better definition that they would be better! I don't know...maybe i DO just need to jump in and get started!!!

Richard

I :heart: the Aquarian, but I've gone back to the conventional Rider-Waite. I constantly write things down, but I rarely refer back to what I've written. Since I don't trust my wild imagination/intuition, I rely mostly on the Golden Dawn's Book T and A.E. Waite's The Pictorial Key to the Tarot for the interpretation of individual cards.

SagiChar

So...LRichard...do you read for other people? If so...you just bring along your book? I so much want to be able to do readings for people without having to depend on my "notes"...but I know that it just takes lots of practice! I was just curious if you DID read for others and if so for how long?

Grizabella

I think you have to be The Fool and take that big step off the cliff without your notes before it will really gel for you. At least, that's how it was for me and for a lot of people I've seen post here. It's terribly scary to wing it without any notes or a book to rely on, but it starts coming to you and pretty soon, there's no problem whatsoever.

Have you browsed through all the deck images here on AT? The link at the top right of this page where it says cards is the link to information and sample images of hundreds of decks you could have a look at to see if you find another deck there that might appeal to you more.

I'm another one for whom writing things down is the way I learn and remember things best. However, when I find myself just writing and writing and writing some more, then I know I'm putting off taking the next step in the learning process. At some point, it's necessary to move on and, at the very least, incorporate some action into all the "writing down" I'm doing in order for it to be of any real use to me. Otherwise I'm not doing anything much more than exercising my ability to write things down. :p

Bhavana

I am not sure what it is you are doing. When I first began to seriously study tarot, I took it on the same way I would with a class in school - and writing and rewriting my notes is something I have always done when studying. It's very helpful when trying to learn something new. However, you need to be working with your deck as well. Do readings for yourself. Read for other people. Studying, making notes, journaling - it's all good - but you need to DO it to really learn.

I find watching videos is helpful, those where you basically watch other people read. Have you tried that? You also might want to find a deck that inspires you more. I find the RWS decks more interesting than the Aquarian. I don't think you should be jumping all over the place learning all different meanings for individual cards, though. Find one system, and stick with it. You can add to it later, after you have the generals down good. Trying to learn too many different meanings in the beginning is confusing, and only makes things harder - and might cause you to give up.