1st Edition vs 2nd Edition Bohemian Gothic

MysticalMoose

I have both, and on balance prefer the second edition with the pewter edges. The colours and detail are clearer in my opinion . Card stock on both is excellent :)

DownUnderNZer

Been trying to find THE LOVERS to compare and thought maybe the FB page might have them....not so.

And, what is a boot leg deck?

Just read that on the main website which I am looking to see if anything.

Essjay

God, I do love the first edition lovers card. :D

tarot heart

You know, this is the first time I've noticed that
the first lovers card looks like two men :bugeyed:

Not that there's anything particularly wrong with that, but just that this is the first time I've actually looked closely and yep, definitely two men (long hair or not)!

I prefer the 2nd deck - brighter imagery, a tad more color, otherwise not that much differnce between the two.

Londubh

I think the vampire on the Lovers card llooks like a muppet in the second edition.

I have the silver and pewter, I like the silver the best. The images are darker, but the silver ink is nice against it. I don't think I would like the first edition without it. So my vote would be for the second if you can't get obtain a silver.

Sulis

I think the vampire on the Lovers card llooks like a muppet in the second edition.

Oh dear this really made me chuckle :laugh:. I agree, he does look like a muppet and the whole thing just has a really modern, 'Twilight' vibe going on that doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the deck.. I think the original Lovers card is far, far better..

velvetina

The Bohemian Gothic is one of my All Time Favourite Decks and I have had both. I gave my first edition to a friend, & the reason I kept the 2nd edition was because of those small changes that made a big difference - I preferred the angelic wings of Temperance to her previous 'flower fairy' ones - in the 5 of swords the pose of the werewolf imitates that of the woman; or is it vice-versa? - the king of cups is Klaus Kinski's Nosferatu -the Queen of Swords is more clearly fanged - there are additional rats in the 8 of Swords.

it was this final point that swung it really as we began to laugh; 'New Improved Bohemian Gothic Tarot! Now with EXTRA RATS!!!!'

As for the Lovers - I like them both, preferring neither although I THINK I read the intention in the change was to place a little more emphasis upon the association of choice that the deck carries?

DownUnderNZer

I did see some of the changes on FB made to the 2nd Edition a little while back when sussing out the imagery....and must say a great job!

My only concern really is reading about "pirate" and "bootleg" decks on the main website....never heard of that before and especially for tarot! :bugeyed: Didnt even consider that could be an issue.

Enough to put anyone off.

But I do believe from what Im reading the 2nd one seems to be more of a winner for different reasons. :) But I still am not quite sold yet.