1JJ Swiss

The 78th Fool

I'm tremendously fond of this deck and I still read with it - after twenty six years! It wasn't the first deck I saw; that was the Fergus Hall Tarot of the Witches. It was however the first deck I bought - closely followed by the Rider and the Fergus Hall.

For me, the images have a slightly sinister kind of mystery and that's one of the reasons I really love the deck. I love the Juno and Jupiter substitutions as well, they just seem to add to this.

It's only recently that this deck has been published with English subtitles. This wouldn't be a problem to me if Stuart Kaplan didn't insist on calling Coins Pentacles - that's some spelling mistake! Anyone wanting an older copy with the original French titling will pick one up very easily (and cheaply) on ebay.

Chris. xx

firecatpickles

Moongold said:
Ah ......Little Buddha ...... please stop tempting
For real, G-dawg! Dang... (said with a "white-boy" accent)

KK
:THANG

firecatpickles

How does twelve pounds sound?

KK

Attachments

• print screen.JPG
    print screen.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 79

Little Baron

kilts_knave said:
How does twelve pounds sound?

KK

Sounds good to me. I might have to pick one up with French titling. It does add a different feel. And yes, 78th Fool, pentacles that should be coins does bug me too. Funny though, because until you mentioned it, I hadn't noticed - I was just calling them coins and deniers regardless, and I have had this deck for a good few years.

LB

Emily

Hi LB,

If you use eBay they always seem to have this deck going cheaply. If you can pick the Waddingtons version up, then its an old deck. I don't use eBay but I managed to get mine from the local bric-a-brac market for £3 with a Marseille tarot book thrown in - and I've seen them on eBay for this price too.

I like the deck for the Majors but since I have problems reading non-scenic Minors, I also struggle with this deck. Maybe one day I'll actually learn how to read with it. :)

Little Baron

Thanks Emily.

Now I may need some help here as I have never used E-bay before.

Do I just find what I like and make an offer?

How do you pay for it?

I am so backwards with this kind of thing.

Of course, if anyone here has a 1JJ with French titles and wants to trade ..

Actually, I might set up a thread to find out.

LB

Emily

Hi LB,

I've checked eBay out and it seems pretty simple - I haven't joined though the temptation would be to much for me to bear }) - but I was going to suggest too that you tried the Trade Section here, quite a few people have this deck, so someone might be wanting to trade it on.

Little Baron

The first time I bought something on line took me about an hour to work out what to do. And after that, I still wasn't sure if I had done it right. It did eventually turn up, lol. So E-bay is a whole new world to confuse me. I would prefer a trade. I kind of know where I am with that.

And yes, I think many have it but it doesn't ever seem that popular .. so someone might want to part with it for something a little different. Just looking at the scans, the cards have a completely different feel with french titles.

LB

Emily

Alida was the one that got me - the first time I ordered off them I wasn't sure I'd ordered anything - they don't send emails to confirm your order and you can't backtrack like on Amazon or the Somerville site. So I had to wait and see if anything turned up. :)

Abrac

A word of caution, if you do purchase this deck on eBay, try to wait for one in good condition. While new listings for the 70s version are posted almost daily, the majority of them are in pretty bad shape. I found this out the hard way. I was able to scrape together a good box and deck only after several attempts. The good news is, it is usually pretty cheap so you won't go broke in the process. Good ones do show up occasionally. It's worth the wait, imo.

eBay sellers are notorious for displaying their products in the best possible light. Often the pictures conceal as much much as they show. You have to read between the lines quite a bit. Don't assume anything. eBay can be a great experience, but you have to be careful.

-fof