Sabian Symbols Study Group: Virgo 7 - #157

Elven

:) Welcome to the Sabian Symbol Oracle Study thread!

Please feel free to discuss the Sabian Symbol in this thread, and to ask questions or, explore any aspect of the many interpretions the Symbol holds. Please add your own observations and interpretations too!! The Symbol used in this heading is by Lynda Hill www.sabiansymbols.com

Sun Sign: VIRGO
Degree: 7
Number: 157

Symbol: A HAREM.

purple_scorp

I thought it would be good to use the Orphalese software to record my daily sabian symbol readings and so set about looking for appropriate images to convey the meaning of each card.

Attached is what I came up with for this symbol.

with love
purple_scorp

Attachments

• 156.jpg
    156.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 241

tink27

As always purple_scorp your image is very revealing to the symbol involved.

I have mixed feelings about this symbol. The reason for this, is this statement found at http://www.aber.ac.uk/cla/archive/grace.html The whole article is fascinating and actually there are other sites as well on harems, which also means ‘sanctuary’.

women within harems in the Ottoman Empire had more rights and enjoyed greater freedoms than married women in Europe, thereby establishing that the veil gave them the agency western women have fought for in the twentieth century. Grace opines that autonomy and the need for freedom from male texts and male spaces which male-ordered society has foisted upon women is a constant refrain within Euro-American feminism, whereas the Islamic veiled woman’s society has, since long, constructed for her this intimate female/ feminine locus which western woman lacks. Grace further establishes that the veil is often used as a cosmetic aid and a fashion device which makes it erotic to the wearer. Memoirs such as those of Leyla Saz Hanimefendi (1922) document the fact that the veil was in fact subject to design and fashion as it matched the garments being worn and was often made of exquisite fabrics with different styles for the day and evening. Alev Lytle Croutier’s 1989 account reveals the etiquette of veiling: the veil, itself translucent and tantalisingly revealing the facial features of the wearer is, in itself, a signifier of the harem, the sanctuary of women, which when worn, signified the sacramental closed doors of the space of woman which no man dare invade.

A harem contains a mixture of sensual women from various races …..some,it is said to form political alliances. I can also see it as a tribal society. Usually, in a harem, no one must see the women’s faces…..only their husband. If a man did, the punishment was death. There always seemed to be one that is the favorite and I’m sure there would be much jealousy and competition here to earn that right. Many are creative, intuitive and smart, and the sultan would seek their advice. Passionately, selflessly, they cater to his every whim and as a result they are well cared for.

Could this be where one sacrifice’s their own happiness….using their time and energy devoted to others. It could also be where we need support and approval from others, to push us on. Is this where we allow our lower animal nature to enslave us? Perhaps it is where one’s will is weak (lack of self confidence) and can often be taken over by a stronger personality. A harem girl has the ability to dissolve into an active role to please the passions and sexual energies of another…….one who wants nurturing but definitely no commitments. What happens when the attraction wears off, perhaps a woman would be sent to cook, clean, or look after the kids. Or even have the time to go after her own creative pursuits. And for the sultan, another search for the ideal woman begins.

Esoterically what if we looked at this symbol as the unconscious mind of the ‘virgin’ expanding into the conscious mind of humankind ? And/or elevating the feminine principle…….a creative and spiritual power?
There has been talk of women in the middle east and how they have been debased and sexually exploited for centuries. And we now hear women in these parts today are taking off their veils and starting to fight back. And in this fight, they are demanding equal rights! If we want to reform society isn’t it said we have to reform ourselves first. And this is done through work on our inner selves.

And it is a constant struggle to improve ourselves and perfect what it is we desire so intently. Through sex. creativity, passion, art, we pick up our broken pieces and try to put them back together again and through it all make something that works!

tink :love:

purple_scorp

Hi tink,

what you wrote reminds me of that other Sabian Symbol where someone comes and snatches the brides veil. (Do you remember, I made up some elaborate story in that thread....where the modern-day knight in shining armour steals the bride from her wedding....and she happily rides away on the back of his motor bike?)

I feel awkward with this symbol. There doesn't seem to be much difference between a harem and a brothel. Only, the entire harem of women will often be dedicated to just one man. (Whereas in a brothel, although there would probably be regular clients, not everyone is there to service just the one man).

Even looking at my image causes my stomach to churn. It's really one-step away from slavery (except that in a harem, the women are well-cared for). But still, you are at somebody else's beck and call. When you get too fat, too ugly, or too under-sexed......you get substituted for a later model. I find that really degrading.

Perhaps I am looking at this symbol with a closed mind?

with love
purple_scorp

MCsea

Hi,

Just a quick addition here for now - before I forget a lady who has this prominant in her symbols in this modern age runs a curtain store - has lotf os fabric and lush things to beautify the home - she also sings in an all woman band (she is married) and has I think 3-4 sisters.. she say this symbol as 'girl' power letting go of the demeaning tag.. and bought in colour movement and music...

She embraced this sybmol and stared belly dancing once she knew her sabian symbols :)

I suppose I put this symbol with the carpet seller...

Marina

MCsea

Virgo 7
Birthdays: August 29th–31st
Numerology: 157
Sabian Symbol: A harem
Marc Edmund Jones Key Word: Restraint
Jane Ridder-Patrick Healing Body Point: Rectum
Crystal Element: Freshwater Pearls
Expression: Freshwater Pearls are cultivated in lakes and rivers. Freshwater Pearls promote reverence for women's secret rituals, and accentuate aura colours.
Message: Enhance sincerity and loyalty; focus on emotional truths.
Sun Focus: You transfix people with your natural charm and artistic talents.
Affirmation: I feel like I belong. I am confident people will accept me for who I am.