Doreen Virtue Decks changes and such

willowy

As a second and final reminder, the topic of this thread is Doreen Virtue's decks. Aeclectic is not a fashion or hair-style review website. As such, some posts have been removed. Further off-topic posts will be removed without notification.

rwcarter, co-Moderator of Tarot Decks

Well said :)

Does anyone know if any decks are going cause I searched and can't find any mention of this anywhere.

EmpyreanKnight

This time I'm not being sarcastic, but I hope that if she did have a genuine conversion, she won't decide to phase out all of her Tarot decks. I have to admit that at one time I was interested in her oeuvre, so I got to read about them a bit. It seems that her decks have assisted some people who were going through a rough patch or were suffering from personal burdens or struggles when they bought it. Her decks do have a niche, and if it has really helped some people, even if I won't traffick in any of her decks I would prefer that they be available for some folk who might need them in the future. That's just my opinion tho.

gregory

Well said :)

Does anyone know if any decks are going cause I searched and can't find any mention of this anywhere.
How do you mean ? Many of us are wondering if the one scheduled for release in October will make it, but the rest are still for sale all over the place - including the Hay House site. From what I hear, the only thing she asked people to burn was her Ascended Masters book.

Elven

Im still not clear on what has happened - help me out ATer's :)
so...
Doreen has turned to a new level of Faith - Christianity
Her Angel Decks are on sale through her publisher Hay House, and wont be re-released.
Is that right?

If that's the case...
Sounds as if they didn't sell enough for Hay House to keep printing any further editions.
Or someone has asked for royalties for some of the art work - or refuse to give permission for re-use any more.
I don't know - the Christianity just sounds like a very weak excuse and back peddling.

Is there a Main Stream Media article anywhere about this?

EmpyreanKnight

I can't find any myself, Elven

Charlie Brown

Is there a Main Stream Media article anywhere about this?

I feel like any place that would report on Doreen Virtue is, by definition, not mainstream.

Elven

Thanks EmpyreanKnight & Charlie Brown,

I'll keep an eye out for any articles or interviews in the future. I just find this very interesting.

:thumbsup:

gregory

No-one knows if she is withdrawing her decks. If she is it would be hard on Radleigh Valentine, who did the art work., and because of that, actually, I'm not sure she could withdraw them. If someone has one to hand to check who holds the copyright. She is still doing her daily and weekly You tube videos.

There WAS a video she put up about this, but it was pulled. There are articles saying something about it all, and there is at least one video by someone else talking about the "personal; relationship" she now has with Jesus/ But as far as I know she was always Christian - hence all the angel decks. She has just shifted her position somewhat.

This is the best I can find.

https://newagestudies.org/tag/youtube/

Scroll down a bit and there's quite a lengthy piece about it.

Here's some more : http://angelorum.co/topics/spirituality/doreen-virtues-christian-parasite-cleanse/ (The author has created a tarot deck I rather like... http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/frideborg-tarot/)

- and in this thread there are a couple of people who saw the video before it was poulled.

FLizarraga

Yes. Bizarre to say, in the same one minute video, that tarot is "an ancient, beautiful language of the divine" that can give "accurate answers", but at the same time implying that tarot is intimidating and frightening and is not "in the light" (otherwise why the need to bring int "into the light")

It seems that her decks have assisted some people who were going through a rough patch or were suffering from personal burdens or struggles when they bought it. Her decks do have a niche, and if it has really helped some people, even if I won't traffick in any of her decks I would prefer that they be available for some folk who might need them in the future. That's just my opinion tho.

OK, here's the thing. And this is probably going to be my last post on this thread because in the end I have zero interest in DV decks and thus have no dog in this fight. Whether she continues churning out her fluff is immaterial to me.

I guess even the toughest of us need soothing at some point. And that's OK. However, we all know that there are roughly two types of querents: the ones who want to find out the truth, or at least to understand it better, and the ones who want to be told exactly what they want to hear --and be soothed and mollycoddled in the process. We all know those people; those are the ones who get twenty readings if necessary until someone tells them that so-and-so will leave their SO for them, even if they know in their heart of hearts that it is is not going to happen.

IMHO, DV and her collaborator Bathory Valentine (aka "Giggles") are shamelessly catering to this second category. Which is, in the end, their prerogative: it is, after all, a free world. My problem here is not even that they are creating spurious Tarot decks with the Swords made into fluffy flying unicorns. (Again, it's a free world. And I even bought that deck, and burned my retinas in the process.) My problem, really, is that, in order to attract their quivering, blubbering clientele, they keep intimating that traditional Tarot is this dark, dangerous thing that needs cleaning up and sanitizing.

IMHO again, in the realm of divination, soothing is the province of oracles. Angel oracles, daily affirmation oracles, whatever, they deserve a place under the sun. And even bad, fluffy Tarot decks for the terminally faint of heart; that's fine. But implying -- or outright saying, as they do often, even in writing -- that with their fluorescent creations they are "bringing Tarot into the light," or that Tarot, and the truth, are themselves scary and dark and icky (a suspiciously worded Amazon review of the Angel Tarot Cards says that it is "an Angel oracle deck [...] made to mirror the traditional Tarot, but without all of the negativity and ego based properties that some tend to associate with the Tarot") is profoundly twisted, and pretty much slanderous, and, well, icky.

Spiffo

But implying -- or outright saying, as they do often, even in writing -- that with their fluorescent creations they are "bringing Tarot into the light," or that Tarot, and the truth, are themselves scary and dark and icky (a suspiciously worded Amazon review of the Angel Tarot Cards says that it is "an Angel oracle deck [...] made to mirror the traditional Tarot, but without all of the negativity and ego based properties that some tend to associate with the Tarot") is profoundly twisted, and pretty much slanderous, and, well, icky.

You summed up what I believe is the major reason she is so derided by so many.
Perpetuating outdated and discredited myths (like Tarot is ancient and probably started in Egypt) and playing to fear (ooh nasty scary tarot with nasty scary pictures) is disingenuous to say the least. Everything I've seen reeks of the worst of mid 80s New Age nonsense.

But it makes money.

I used to think she was just a fringe oddity. Now I see her as just another charlatan pedalling her wares to the vulnerable. Worse I think she takes advantage of the vulnerable. And now she's taken it upon herself to bring tarot into the light?!? What a load of pish. She's doing nothing other than obscuring a craft for her own ends.

Wrapping oneself in a phantasy world of fairies and unicorns is a classic avoidance mechanism. Endlessly pandering to those 'sensitive' souls does nothing for them in the long run, well except make money for Ms Virtue(!). And she has some qualifications in Psych so the cynic in me would suggest she knows exactly what she is doing and is quite clever in both her execution and ongoing marketing.

Yes step into the light where the full spectrum of the rainbow plays out. Don't get caught in one colour. And for anyone that finds Tarot just too too scary, consider getting some runes.