Justice

anime

sorry...i am new for using fey tarot...i can't share any idea about Justice, but i still have some question for Justice

i was wondering do anybody notice Justice's right hand only have four fingers?(i can't recognize right have four finger or five finger?)

and i started check other cards...

The fairy in The Magician, The Wisest,and The Lovers are also only have four finger!!

Does it have special meaning for that??
'Cause other fairies have five finger..(or it already hind by other place...)

RiccardoLS

I would like to point to three additional things:
- Justice is a child
- her/his jewelry is larger than her size
- background is a shadow (moving shadow actually) of a castle. She is standing still, focusing (but not "watching" the feather?

ric

caridwen

RiccardoLS said:
I would like to point to three additional things:
- Justice is a child
- her/his jewelry is larger than her size
- background is a shadow (moving shadow actually) of a castle. She is standing still, focusing (but not "watching" the feather?

ric

Would the fact that Justice is a child emphasise innocence in some way and lack of motive or, possibly reincarnation like the Dali Lama. The child has inherited the position hence the overlarge jewellery?

RiccardoLS

One of the philosophical question is "what is Justice?".
What decied what is right and what's wrong?
Is it an ethical answer? Good vs Evil?
Is it a moral answer? Custom and accepted behavior vs unaccepted and aoutrageous?
Is it a karmic answer? You receive what you give. Maybe, would things weigth to same for different persons?
Is it a might makes right answer?
It is "just" to divide equally, or to divide in base to merit or need?

Justice is a very dangerous place to thread.
I think, in way, that is the reason justice is a child. I recall it has been one of the first cards to be decided. We wanted justice to be "innocent" and to be "blind". To be "wise" and to "see". Justice is a terrible weigth, and at the same time must remain pure (I mean "high" justice, as it would befit a major arcana). It is love and it is forgiveness, and yet it is not.
What we didn't want was the sword. Not here, not in the Fey shadow play.

I know I always get confused... but if it was easy to express with words we wouldn't need Tarot at all, wouln't we?

ric

p.s.edited to add:
I'm not trying to give answers. I don't have and yours are much better than mine.

caridwen

RiccardoLS said:
One of the philosophical question is "what is Justice?".
What decied what is right and what's wrong?
Is it an ethical answer? Good vs Evil?
Is it a moral answer? Custom and accepted behavior vs unaccepted and aoutrageous?
Is it a karmic answer? You receive what you give. Maybe, would things weigth to same for different persons?
Is it a might makes right answer?
It is "just" to divide equally, or to divide in base to merit or need?

Justice is a very dangerous place to thread.
I think, in way, that is the reason justice is a child. I recall it has been one of the first cards to be decided. We wanted justice to be "innocent" and to be "blind". To be "wise" and to "see". Justice is a terrible weigth, and at the same time must remain pure (I mean "high" justice, as it would befit a major arcana). It is love and it is forgiveness, and yet it is not.
What we didn't want was the sword. Not here, not in the Fey shadow play.

I know I always get confused... but if it was easy to express with words we wouldn't need Tarot at all, wouln't we?

ric

p.s.edited to add:
I'm not trying to give answers. I don't have and yours are much better than mine.

This particular Fey has been coming up for me a lot recently so I have been trying to make sense of it so anything you say is gratefully accepted:D

I think there are two types of Justice:

The first is mankinds'. When we live in a society we accept the social contract and live according to those rules. There are certain penalties to pay for certain crimes and we accept those penalties if we commit those crimes. Justice is a penance to society, to make up for the wrongs we have done.

There is a second kind of Justice which is no man made it is the Justice of the Universe. I see it like a water table that has to keep level. The what you send out will come back to you Justice but that isn't always feasible because it doesn't always seem to work.

Yes, Justice is very weighty. I did jury service and felt very responsible because of the position I was in. I could be wrong and falsely judge another or I could be right and the others wrong. By being wrong I was changing someone's life for the worse yet by being correct I was permitting retribution for their wrongs.

Sometimes Justice is animalistic in its fairness. There is a 'right' that seems so wrong which is why the law is subject to change and variables. Yet the law of the universe shows no mercy only balance. I think that's where the blade of Justice comes in because a blade is cold and inhuman so it cannot be swayed by anything but the truth.

The Egyptians believed that the universe functioned as an ordered and rational place, according to cycles of predictability and regularity and these cycles were a constant. It was a very black and white place where good was rewarded and bad, punished.

Ma'at would weigh the deceased heart against either herself or a feather and Thoth would decide if their heart should be devoured by a demon and they died forever or whether they could go on into the other life. There were priests of Ma'at who meted out justice on earth and pharos were said to have 'done Ma'at' or upheld her laws.

Ma'at was to the Egyptians what logos was to the ancient Greeks and without her the universe would dissolve into chaos.

RiccardoLS

My very personal belief is that balance is not justice.
Justice without mercy is souless. And into a "fey" world, maybe nothing really soulless should exist.
What I mean with "mercy" is not a christhian kind of thing. It's is more empathy... an understanding, a focusing on the individual and not on the act.

I found myself reasoning on your signature. In a way, i think, that Justice - every time it judges makes necessarily a bad choice. So can it be Justice without judgement?

Returning to the Fey World, I probably imagine Justice - here - more a *ying* entity. A supreme receptive. A mirror of purity. Something unchanging, and therefore ever new (into a spinning world). A sword wielding classical justice seem to be a *yang* entity. It is severe and menacing... it scares you, propose punishment and division, and does not offer hope.
I prefer to see Justice as Hope... Justice seen as the solution of the paradox (the bad choice, as in your signature), not seen as the embodiement of the paradox itself.
And again I like to see Justice as our personal search for truth. The eye of innocence we sometimes must turn opon ourselves.

Again I'm going confused. Anyway, Justice I think it is one of the most difficult cards to work into a deck. It is one of the most difficult and deceitful concept to came by.

ric

caridwen

So Justice is subjective and subject to change according to individual circumstances. How does that apply on a day to day level?

I mean within the world of Fey. Do the Fey come to Justice or is this Fey (Justice) the creator of Justice on a fundamental level like Ma'at was to the Egyptians? How does this idea of Justice function when you say it's based on the individual? Who is responsible for meting out justice to the Fey? Is this child - Justice omniscient and ever present? Or do the Fey have courts? Are there Fey priests or rulers of Justice?

elvenstar

I hope you don't mind if I jump right in here :)
caridwen said:
So Justice is subjective and subject to change according to individual circumstances. How does that apply on a day to day level?
Perhaps its not about subjectiveness, but individuality. To return to what riccardo was saying, to focus on the specific moment, and specific person or situation. The innocence, the eternally fresh perspective, would then fit in and it would actually make it more objective, not influenced by past knowledge or experience and therefore subjective.
RiccardoLS said:
There is a second kind of Justice which is no man made it is the Justice of the Universe. I see it like a water table that has to keep level. The what you send out will come back to you Justice but that isn't always feasible because it doesn't always seem to work.
Maybe the key word is 'seem'? Could it not be that we are not always able to fathom the workings of this vast universe? There is some karma to be paid/rewarded but we don't know what it is?

About yin/yang: I see what you mean about this child justice not being yang. However, i see the card as more balanced yin/yang, rather than leaning towards yin. The child and feather could be 'yin', but the heavy jewellery provides the 'yang'. Where the child is soft the bangles are hard. Where the feather is light, they are heavy. That is I think what I was trying to say in my previous post.

RiccardoLS

I'm not sure I understand the question. ^^

ric