Trimmed Borders/Altered Decks Index

AJ

I'm on my phone and its difficult going through the pages... since the main post hasn't been updated could anybody tell me if there are pictures of any Il Meneghello decks with rounded corners? I can't decide if I want to try it or not! Thank you :)

Hi Kristin, This thread was an exercise in keeping my brain occupied when I had breast cancer. A whole lot of other things have happened since then. This is not an excuse for not keeping the thread up, just me being a lazy bum now :)

A few weeks ago I deleted all the dead links and I'm planning on updating from that point with all the new shared decks.

When you have a thread open, if you look in the upper right, there is an option to search just the thread. type in your deck name there and see what comes up. It is one of the best forum secrets I know.

And yes, to those that have asked, side gilt photos are great
and don't even think about making a mod think about splitting off the O word and L word decks to a different section :)

LorettaYeo

Tao Oracle

I've seen images of this deck for years, and for a long time I was put off by two things: the notoriety of the Osho Rajneesh group in Oregon, and the HUGE borders on the cards.

I felt the same about the Osho Zen Tarot, but I read so much good about them that I bought the deck. My research then made me feel more comfortable that Osho himself apparently didn't do all the reckless things, but it was the woman he gave so much power to. The tarot deck is only a collector's piece, IMHO. Although it's attractive, it's too far off from the RWS standard that I prefer.

So my good experience with the Osho Zen convinced me to buy the Tao Oracle. It's my sixth I Ching deck, but the art work matches the hexagram meanings better than the Holitzka paintings do.

I still hate the big borders, and the cards themselves are 5" tall, too big to handle comfortably.

I don't understand why Padma felt the need to give three versions of the trigrams. The actual hexagram in the lower right corner is visibly divided into its upper and lower trigrams, and I didn't find it hard to learn their eight names. But Padma gives completely new symbols for the trigrams in the lower left corner. To me they look like ESP card images, and they're redundant. I do have a Chinese I Ching deck that does the same thing with its own 8 symbols, and I thought it was redundant on those too.

BUT, as if that wasn't enough duplication, Padma has assigned eight colors to the trigrams and they appear in the top border in a yin-yang symbol. That little circle is ALL that occupies that big border. Besides, I don't deal much with the trigrams, which are a later tradition.

So I spent a couple of hours playing with the digital images and "cropped" off what I didn't need. I printed these new images on Avery 5390 Name Badge Inserts, with a narrow version of the card backs. These are a quarter of an inch wider than business cards. Now I have a deck that is more flexible and fits my hands, and that gives me only the information that I need.

Attachments

• 46 Original.jpg
    46 Original.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 377
  • 46 Cropped.jpg
    46 Cropped.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 381

LorettaYeo

DIY projects

I have two virtual tarot decks that I extracted from flash objects on web pages. Both the movie "Practical Magic" and the TV show "The Others" had SWF tarot readers on their web sites.

The PM majors are nice, but the minors are just four images of a single suit symbol and fourteen card names. The majors are black on gray, and the suits are black on green, blue, red or yellow. I printed the PM majors on business cards, and the white card edges looked really out of place. I took a Marks-A-Lot wide marker and colored them in. Over time, the black has faded and now it blends well with the gray of the images.

Likewise, in the show "The Others," the character Satori could read minds but that scared people off so she presented herself as a tarot reader. The SWF game only had 20 images: the card back, 12 majors, and 7 minors. (I couldn't figure out why I kept getting these duplicates, so I wound up downloading a SWF editor and discovered that's all there were.)

Since Satori's Tarot images are all on "yellow" cards, again the white business card edges stood out. This time I used a red Sharpie. And my hand slipped, a couple of times. They look really amateurish, and I keep promising myself to buy a package of beige business cards and do them over but I haven't gotten the right round tuit.

Attachments

• HERMIT.jpg
    HERMIT.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 149
  • DEVIL.jpg
    DEVIL.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 134

strings of life

Trimmed Glastonbury Tarot

I trimmed my Glastonbury Tarot, finally! I have wanted to for quite sometime and am glad I finally took the plunge. The Majors had the name of the person, legend, or location that was associated with each card and the Minors had keywords--both distracting for me. The creator uses color theory and numerology and I feel like I can read it much more easily now.

What the deck looked like before: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/glastonbury

This is what it looks like completely border free, no title or keywords, corners rounded. The top features Majors, the bottom Minors, and the stack shows the card backs that were already borderless prior to trimming.

So bright and free!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 427

Marirowana

Tarot of Trees

I just edged my Tarot of Trees deck, I'm very pleased with the result! The black borders are nice, but is is printed on very light coloured paper so it looked a bit odd, in my opinion. After the edging it looks so soft, like black velvet. I can highly recommend it :D See the attachments for the before and after pics.

Tool: Edding 3000 permanent marker (black)

Attachments

• Stacks.jpg
    Stacks.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 437
  • Fanned.jpg
    Fanned.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 387

Nemia

I trimmed my Holy Light Tarot, and wow, the pictures POP! It looks great. Pictures will follow.

cSpaceDiva

Mary-el

I trimmed the titles off my Mary-el and left a narrow black border. I also gilded the edges which bled onto the face of the cards and left a thin, uneven gold border. I am really thrilled with the results! I feel more connected to deck after going through this process.

Trimmed Mary-el

Marirowana

I trimmed the titles off my Mary-el and left a narrow black border. I also gilded the edges which bled onto the face of the cards and left a thin, uneven gold border. I am really thrilled with the results! I feel more connected to deck after going through this process.

Trimmed Mary-el

WOW that is SO beautiful! What did you use for the golden edges? And how did you get the borders all even?
Great job! :heart:

deb13b

Just wondering if anyone has trimmed the wild unknown? The cards don't have a firm line so I'm not sure about it!

cSpaceDiva

WOW that is SO beautiful! What did you use for the golden edges? And how did you get the borders all even?
Great job! :heart:

I used antique gold Rub n Buff. This was my first time gilding edges so I can't compare it to any of the other products out there. It does rub off on my thumbs when I shuffle, but that is diminishing. At least it looks good. :thumbsup: