What drew you to Tarot/divination?

OaksWhispering

Despite my family being Christian/Catholic they all seem in some way drawn to the metaphysical. (One of my cousins became Wiccan in her teens) I grew up hearing some of the adults on both sides of my family talking about their experiences with spirits, or having their cards read, and I had my own memories as a young child of sensing things that I didn't understand. My mother would get her cards read and would tell me about it when she came home when I was a little older (around pre teen years) So I have never not known what tarot is. I like to learn things, so I didn't want to just have my cards read, I wanted to know how to read them myself.

That's my story. I sometimes wonder if I go far back enough into my family history, if maybe my ancestors were pagans and had been forced into Christianity/Catholicism.

punchinella

That's my story. I sometimes wonder if I go far back enough into my family history, if maybe my ancestors were pagans
Well if we go far enough back, that would be true for all of us, no? :D

celticnoodle

I can't really recall exactly what it was that lead me to my path of divining. To a certain extent I have always done a bit of it, I guess. I grew up in a psychic household and certain things were just a part of that all my life. I was doing more divining with other things before I picked up reading cards. But, not as a profession - more because it was just a part of every day life for me/my family.

I recall my mother and grandmother teaching us that when it was very important to be in touch with a certain person and you cannot find them, take an article that belonged to them and close it in a doorway. They will be in touch then.

Sounds a bit silly, I know, but it always worked. If you don't have anything of theirs though, just bring their image and name to your mind and concentrate on them and send them the message to contact you. They will! (and they did/do too). It was especially good when we were in school and wanted to hear from that all important crush of ours at the time! ;)

I seemed to be better at this then my siblings and soon in school, I became fairly well known, (we did our best to keep it quiet that I could do this), that my siblings and our friends would often come to me to ask me to concentrate on a specific boy to ask them to the upcoming dance/date. I should've charged them for that service back then, but I never did. It was just fun to do. :laugh:

Looking back, I also realize now that I saw the easiest time for me to make that contact with a person whom I wanted to hear from was when I was in the shower. :laugh: Water is a GREAT energy source--to put you contact with spirits or living people. So, I guess you can say I was working with energy since I was a kid! :) though, now, I'd much prefer the spirits to stay out of the shower when I'm in it. ;) I do still run water from the spickets when I am doing medium readings, to help with bringing them through to me.

As for reading the cards, I didn't really start until much later in life, though I recall my mom and my aunt reading the cards for others. Mom would also take us girls (my sisters and I) and our friends to card readers and psychic readers. My family always had this unspoken rule of never reading for family--so we all went elsewhere for that. We went quite regularly--at least once every 3 mos. and it was always great fun and a big event to do so.

What got me started in the reading of cards was when I was working in the mall and a new woman was hired. The manager thought her a kook, because she was psychic and a REIKI healer, :D I thought she sounded SPLENDID! and, so I made sure I worked one day when she was scheduled so I could meet her. When she first entered the store I could see she had great energy. She came up to be introduced to me, took my hand to shake it and her eyes got big and she exclaimed to me, "Oh my! Do you have ANY idea how psychic and gifted you are?" :laugh: We've been good friends ever since, and she was the one who encouraged me to pick up card reading.

Today I still read the cards, mostly tarot cards and I do psychic readings. I'm being encouraged to follow a healing path by my guides, but its been slow--or perhaps I've been slow to do so. I was always told by my mother, grandmother and aunts that I was born with a veil over my face and head, and this, I was told, means I am very psychic. I recently read somewhere that it is generally the sign of a healer. *shrugs* Maybe it is and perhaps I should be more dedicated to that path. Interestingly enough, my mother was also reportedly born with a veil and both my daughter and oldest granddaughter were too! When I read about it being a sign of a natural healer, I also read that this was a very rare occurrence--but if so, I wonder why it happened in our 4 generations? I have tried to find out about that--but so far nothing. I just keep reading about its rarity. :confused: So, just another step on this long spiritual journey - to find out about and understand. Meanwhile, the journey is interesting, fun and mostly fulfilling as well!

celticnoodle

I have now read everyone's posts here and I've enjoyed each and every one of them! A fantastic thread, Vanchica! :thumbsup:

Celtictarot

I know I have a bit of a "Tarot finding me". I bought the Old Path Tarot and the Goddess Tarot on a whim one day. The decks in their bags were lying on my bedroom floor unused for years. In the last 3 years I took up the tarot and now I have three readings blogs and the rest as they say is history.

I have an issue in that my family are all Christian and I am the only pagan, (I wear my pentancle all the time). I have to watch and hide my decks when family are around.

TarotFlow

This is such a wonderful thread and I've enjoyed reading all the stories :)

About age 25 ( 27 years ago) I got interested in astrology,* dreams aura and chakra. A friend (lover) then introduced me to the cards, and I got interested. Me and another friend gave each other a rider waite deck. I put all my knowing of dreams,* colours, astrologi and etc. Into the cards, and also read the books aviable in denmark about tarot. From the first time my readings were very accurate.* Friends I was reading for were a stunned and so was I ,,,,,,,,
I also visited a course in tarotreading. The teacher started out saying that there would be absolute no use of books this weekend ! And those who couldn't accept this were fri to leave !* A lot people left and the rest of us had an amazing course,,, the best ever ! Since then the cards has been a part of my life Sometimes I read for others - also professional but for now it is mostly for myself.
I had a wonderful start into the world of tarot :) no doubt that i have used them in other lives..I feel blessed with this wonderful gift :)

Pieralinovski

I nice to see so different paths leading to the same point!

I always have been interested in spirituality. In my teenage, I used to have a strong attraction for buddhism, which lead my to integrate a sangha and for many years, I've been practicing meditation and yoga. Then, I wanted to know I my culture had something interesting to offer beside the catholic dogma we all learned at school or church. For me, this epiphany has been tarot. But I had to fight against my own fear. And I still. I bought my first deck, which was Jodorwsky's and began to read everything I could find on the matter. I wanted to find the arcanum, the mystery or the truth nehind the tarot. And then, I leave it for a couple of years. I was working a lot, had two children, there were a lot going on in my life. And I began to find tarot no so peaceful at all. And it began to frighten me. I did not like kabbalah and found it to far away from what I considered to be the good way to spiritual enlightmen. A couple of years later, more mature and relaxed, I began reading this forum, without even having a deck. And many posts from people here made me capable of enjoying the tarot without looking at all those esoteric system and I started to understand the tarot like one of the member (Lee) of this forum called it, a more or less self-contained system. Since then, I practice with a lot less apprehensions.

Thank you all for sharing all this wonderful information and points of view.
Peace

Autumnal Archer

I found tarot after my husband left me, maybe 12 or so years ago now. We had both come from very conservative Christian families, and divination was an unthinkable thing prior to the break-up. What happened within a week of him leaving (for another woman) was that suddenly my status in our community changed; it seemed I was fair game for all the married men in town to hit on, despite my failure to express any interest whatsoever in them. It was like they just assumed that of course I would not respect their marriages, like all the rules were off so far as I was concerned. And their wives made it abundantly clear as well that I was no longer trustworthy.

I remember feeling very angry about this, and thinking how unfair it was that my status had changed so unfavorably, despite the fact that it was my husband, not me, who ended our marriage. I hated the fact that I had had no say.

Ugh, that's so horrible. I'm sorry you had to go through all that. :c It just saddens me that people can completely shun one of their own for something as ultimately insignificant as a divorce.

punchinella

Ugh, that's so horrible. I'm sorry you had to go through all that. :c It just saddens me that people can completely shun one of their own for something as ultimately insignificant as a divorce.
But as I said the bright side here was the door opening to the dark side . . . Mwa ha ha . . . And in retrospect I can't imagine going back to a world without tarot. Really, I can't.