Prediction doesn't come true: Card or reader error?

donnalee

If you expect a prediction from the Tarot - advice is not what you are looking for. But that is what bugs me about predictive readings, as a rule - get a reading, know what's going to happen and make no effort.

"Oh shit, my husband IS going to leave me. May as well empty the bank account..."
"Damn, my daughter WILL marry that drug dealer. Best hide my jewellery."
"Oh so I won't get a promotion. No point making any effort at work then."

Instead of "My husband might LEAVE ? What can I change to stop this happening ?!"
""Damn my daughter might actually tie the knot ? OK - time to go to the cops with the evidence."
""I might not make it ? I must find a better way to show them I'd be best for the job."

I would rather run with option 2 !

I'm for the personal-responsibility thang too: life would feel so creepy and bleak and poitless to me if all were predetermined with no chance of freewill and *participation* in one's own life. The times in life I have felt worst have been when I felt powerless.

Laurelle

I don't in all honesty see that that makes a difference.

Yes, Gregory, we have had this discussion before.....

It matters because I'm drawing information from the Place of Knowing. I called it that before I realized it was called the Akashic Record. Everything that has ever happened and ever will happen is recorded there.

You should try meditation, Gregory.

gregory

I will if I like. But I read the cards, not the place of knowing.

So you are saying that everything (OK 80%) of what you say in a reading or whatever is true. By definition. So if we hear something from you, there's no real point trying to change anything at all ?

I find that very depressing. I prefer free will.

Laurelle

Gregory,

From my POV, a soul needs certain experiences to lead them back to the source. Those experiences vary from person to person, but we all tend to have similar experiences whether or not they are from this lifetime, the previous, or the next.

We decide what kind of experiences we need to evolve before we come to earth. You could very well change your destiny, but at some point you'll need to return to the path you diverged from.

I like Key 12 very much because at some point in this lifetime I just choose to surrender. I realized that I had very little control over my own life and that I needed to surrender to a force greater than myself.

Perhaps, Gregory, in this manifestation, you need to learn control (key 7). That's fine. That's a good path to be on.

gregory

If it's all the same to you, I'll stick with the cards. They have served me well so far.

ravenest

The AC quote describes the usual approach to Yi Jing divination. The advantage of Yi Jing is that the underlying philosophy is conveniently provided by the textual material pertaining to each hexagram. The link is to a brief essay on how the process works.

I've always thought that the ethics and system of the I ching is much easier to grasp, as you say, due to the textual relationship. In a way, one could say that the I ching is the divinatory tool of the Taoist and the Thoth that of the Thelemite. Crowley definitely relates them. But beyond that, I find most tarot needs a very deep analysis to extract any or similar worth.

ravenest

Gregory,

From my POV, a soul needs certain experiences to lead them back to the source.

I think that is totally confused.

The soul needs expression to experience what lies before it in its incarnation, to drive us forward, to go on and experience, the god force is in the 'going' not in the 'being' . Its always connected to source, the 'certain experiences' are about the "already connected to 'source' soul" and how it navigates and manifests its needs throughout incarnation. Not to find experiences to lead it backwards to where it is already connected.

Perhaps you mean lead the conscious ego to connect with the soul's need of expression through the incarnated life ?

I always find people's claims of prediction interesting ... like martial arts (another of my 'hobbies') , vocal claims can easily be tested on the physical. ... Oh, ... yeah ... you will just say it will happen 'eventually' because the time factor is .... and you also threw in a caveat that you are 'generally' right. Is the Akashic record foggy sometimes ?

I too can predict things by reading the Akashic record, except I am not always right and cant get the timing right ... sometimes I am wrong but other times it might happen any time in the future .... :rolleyes:

If the 'Akashic' record exists in the 'sky' or 'aether' and one can claim to read it ... thats easily tested. :) ... one either delivers the goods ... or an 'excuse' .

" experiences vary from person to person, but we all tend to have similar experiences "

I have no idea what that means ... unless it means that all have different experiences but they lie within the field of human experiences because we are all human.

Holly doll

Gregory,

From my POV, a soul needs certain experiences to lead them back to the source.

Isn't that a myth of separation...? Where we are told how "naughty" we've been & need to learn before we are allowed back to the source. To me, we're already there - all we are doing is enriching our experience.

Many clients can & do ask predictive questions - perhaps attempting to abnegate responsibility for their life or choices; they want others to tell them things will work out & give them a concrete time frame rather than fully taking ownership for their choices. I try to point out to them that asking those more rich personal growth questions may be of more benefit than predictions - it's their life, they need to own it.

MissNine

I'd say it's just behaviorism working it's magic. (Think Pavlov and the dog)

As for why people seek the predictive answers in the cards...people get insecure about something and they seek validation in the cards. I think we all want assurance at times when something not totally under our control is to happen. That's why I get so many love and job search questions, anyway.

Isn't that a myth of separation...? Where we are told how "naughty" we've been & need to learn before we are allowed back to the source. To me, we're already there - all we are doing is enriching our experience.

Many clients can & do ask predictive questions - perhaps attempting to abnegate responsibility for their life or choices; they want others to tell them things will work out & give them a concrete time frame rather than fully taking ownership for their choices. I try to point out to them that asking those more rich personal growth questions may be of more benefit than predictions - it's their life, they need to own it.