Totally Floundering in my readings!

Alea

Okay, I decided to do some readings yesterday, but i totally floundered like a fish out of water, I can't seem to do "Yes/No questions"
ever since yesterday i've researched a bit on how to do it, there's all sorts of ways, even numbers, uneven numbers, cups/feminine suits mean no, swords/masculine suits mean yes, upright means yes, reversed means no. It's all so confusing!
I feel like I can't give those who've asked, my best, because I don't know what to do, should I just say yes/no? do a short reading with more detail? Maybe they wouldn't like my reading? Does it look too amateurish?

As a reader I like giving readings like a story, and i tend to go overboard (especially in yes/no questions) and it strays from the original question and it doesn't answer much of the querent's intent question.

I would really appreciate it if you guys could shed some light or give some small lessons to me.
Thanks! :)

tarotbear

If you are very new to this, please take my advice: Stop using the Tarot for 'YES/NO' readings ... it is such a waste of what the Tarot CAN tell you.

For starters: Learn to re-phrase questions so they do not end with Y/N. Yes, that always sounds easier than it is, but asking for information that you can use instead of Y/N will get you better ... and I daresay 'understandable' ... results.

"Does he/she love me? Y/N?" becomes "Give me some insights into my relationship with XYZ."

"Will I win the 6 gadzillion dollar Powerball this weekend? Y/N?" {hate to tell you - NO! :) } becomes "What can I do to strengthen my finances?"

"Is Dickhead going to get promoted instead of Me? Y/N?" becomes "What steps can I take to ensure my Boss sees how well I am doing my job?"

Skip all those foolish crutches that are supposed to mean Y/N - even or uneven cards, masc or femme whatevers, etc. Use World for Yes and Tower for No - much, much easier!

Try re-phrasing your questions. :smoker:

Alea

Dear, I hope you're not talking about me xD

I'm the reader, I'm trying my best to be conscious of what I ask of people (on here during exchanges), but it seems there's a lot of Yes/No questions from my querents (on here and in real life) and it is straining to deal with.
But I get what you mean, I should ask people to re-phrase their questions from Y/N to along the lines of what you just said.
I love interacting with others concerning Tarot, I've only experienced the tip of the iceberg of what the Tarot can tell me, and it's amazing! I've experienced it while doing readings for my friends IRL and it was so creepily accurate. Sadly, you can't get much of the same interaction between reader and querent on the web. :S

If you are very new to this, please take my advice: Stop using the Tarot for 'YES/NO' readings ... it is such a waste of what the Tarot CAN tell you.

For starters: Learn to re-phrase questions so they do not end with Y/N. Yes, that always sounds easier than it is, but asking for information that you can use instead of Y/N will get you better ... and I daresay 'understandable' ... results.

"Does he/she love me? Y/N?" becomes "Give me some insights into my relationship with XYZ."

"Will I win the 6 gadzillion dollar Powerball this weekend? Y/N?" {hate to tell you - NO! :) } becomes "What can I do to strengthen my finances?"

"Is Dickhead going to get promoted instead of Me? Y/N?" becomes "What steps can I take to ensure my Boss sees how well I am doing my job?"

Skip all those foolish crutches that are supposed to mean Y/N - even or uneven cards, masc or femme whatevers, etc. Use World for Yes and Tower for No - much, much easier!

Try re-phrasing your questions. :smoker:

tarotbear

I am guessing, then, that you actually ask your reader for the question OUT LOUD ? Then it is in your best interests as a reader to say to the Querent: 'That is a Y/N question - it would be better to re-phrase it along these lines: (give an example to them)'.

Alea

I am guessing, then, that you actually ask your reader for the question OUT LOUD ? Then it is in your best interests as a reader to say to the Querent: 'That is a Y/N question - it would be better to re-phrase it along these lines: (give an example to them)'.

In terms of IRL, yes. I ask them to tell me their question, and obviously on here they need to ask as well, you know the usual "will Q and I ect ect ect?" or any other question that sounds like a Y/N one.
Thanks for the suggestion! Asking for re-phrasing sounds like a good idea to do from now on, I can't handle Yes/No questions since i tend to trail off from the original question.

nisaba

Okay, I decided to do some readings yesterday, but i totally floundered like a fish out of water, I can't seem to do "Yes/No questions"

I would really appreciate it if you guys could shed some light or give some small lessons to me.
Use a pendulum. They are not designed to talk about the ins and outs of a subject, they are designed for yes and no. Tarot is not designed for yes and no, it's designed for the ins and outs of a subject. Use the right tools for the job - you wouldn't use a hammer to screw in a screw, or jeweller's fine-nose pliers to dig a five metre deep trench in the ground.

If you really MUST use Tarot and only Tarot for everything, consider tossing a coin - my favourite is the Ace of Coins, known more recently as the Ace of Pentacles. Hold it above your table and drop it, flicking it at the same time so that it spins. If it lands on the table face-up, that's a yes. If it lands on a table face-down, that's a no.

But it's still not quite the right tool - a well-trained pendulum that you check regularly is much more reliable.

Alea

You seem to misunderstand, it's not like I PREFER reading Yes/No Questions, i really don't, my type of reading is "story telling" (for lack of a better term) so reading yes/no questions is difficult for me seeing as it causes me quite the confusion of *my explanation in original post*
It's why I really liked what TB said of asking my Querent's to re-phrase their questions. :)
Pendulums are not readily available where I am from and I don't have the proper requirements to order online, but maybe one day. I read for the sake of reading, I like Tarot and I respect it, but people tend to ask questions in the manner of "Will me and A get back together" and sounding like a Y/N question.

Use a pendulum. They are not designed to talk about the ins and outs of a subject, they are designed for yes and no. Tarot is not designed for yes and no, it's designed for the ins and outs of a subject. Use the right tools for the job - you wouldn't use a hammer to screw in a screw, or jeweller's fine-nose pliers to dig a five metre deep trench in the ground.

If you really MUST use Tarot and only Tarot for everything, consider tossing a coin - my favourite is the Ace of Coins, known more recently as the Ace of Pentacles. Hold it above your table and drop it, flicking it at the same time so that it spins. If it lands on the table face-up, that's a yes. If it lands on a table face-down, that's a no.

But it's still not quite the right tool - a well-trained pendulum that you check regularly is much more reliable.

nisaba

You seem to misunderstand, it's not like I PREFER reading Yes/No Questions, i really don't,
I made no such assumption.

my type of reading is "story telling" (for lack of a better term) so reading yes/no questions is difficult for me seeing as it causes me quite the confusion of *my explanation in original post*
So try the methods I suggest instead of criticising me for something I never thought about you.

When I sit down to read for people I don't get them to ask questions. I simply say "Is there a situation in your life that you'd like the reading to focus on."

Then they'll say no and I'll do a general reading, or they'll say yes, I'll ask what, and they'll say something like "tribal land issues" or "what's happening at work with my boss" or whatever it might be. No question, but enough information for me to choose or come up with a spread that produces the information they need. And no yeses and nos, more an analytical look at the circumstances that concern them.

But as I said, if you want to get a yes or a no as your answer, use a tool suitable for the job. Don't use a bulldozer to hammer in a picture-hook.

Owl Song

Alea,

Besides the sound advice from tarotbear and nisaba, I'd like to add one thing. On here, I think it's perfectly acceptable to re-phrase a question before you begin the reading. I've done it in a diplomatic fashion. You don't even have to say that you're rephrasing the question, simply re-phrase as the opening for your reading and continue on with the reading.

If someone asks me, "Will X and I get back together?," for example, I'd start the reading with, "What do I need to know about my relationship with X?" and then I'd simply carry out the reading. You can do the same thing when reading for people in person. You're still giving them the information they want; you're just doing it in a more optimal way.

Good luck.

Grizabella

I love interacting with others concerning Tarot, I've only experienced the tip of the iceberg of what the Tarot can tell me, and it's amazing! I've experienced it while doing readings for my friends IRL and it was so creepily accurate. Sadly, you can't get much of the same interaction between reader and querent on the web. :S

Yes, you can get the same thing with Skype and very close to the same thing with a live chat reading. I prefer face-to-face, then live chat (don't know how to Skype) comes second. Readings in the exchange threads here still go very well if you don't mind a little wait.

I'm glad to see that you prefer live readings. Live readings are just magic somehow, even if some of them are more difficult and some live sitters may be a little bit trying sometimes.
'