9 of Pentacles as someone's desires in a relationship

Miradeck

Hello fellow tarot readers,

I understand 9/Pents as being contented with what one has and also being independent and self reliant. Does this mean the person has no desires in a relationship and is not looking for more? It sounds passive. How does this differ from the High Priestess which is also a very passive card when it comes to relationship readings?

Thanks.

Grizabella

In a healthy relationship, both parties are independent but are choosing to walk the journey of life together, rather than being joined at the hip and controlled by either party. They can each have their own friends, even of the opposite sex, their own interests and activities they can do separately if they want without any jealousy and mistrust from their partner. They love each other but not obsessively. They love their partner but not in a clinging, grasping, insecure way. They're healthy and secure emotionally and want a relationship with someone who is also secure and healthy emotionally.

The 9 of Pentacles would say that to me. That they want a loving relationship but not a co-dependent one. :)

ihcoyc

To me, the 9 of Pentacles suggests that what the person wants most from the relationship is material security.

Miradeck

The 9 of Pentacles would say that to me. That they want a loving relationship but not a co-dependent one. :)

Thanks Grizabella, how come it didn't strike me that way... yes "not co-dependent" is another good way to interpret this card. I had the impression 9/Pentacles was a somewhat positive card but couldn't link it to relationship desires when the card seemed to talk all about being alone enjoying the moment, and being contented with what one already has in terms of wealth and able to spend that wealth comfortably on oneself. All of that seem to portray "alone" impressions.

So this can also be interpreted as having "personal space" in a relationship. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Miradeck

To me, the 9 of Pentacles suggests that what the person wants most from the relationship is material security.

Hi ihcoyc,
Thanks for the comment. The 9/Pentacles gives me the impression that material security is reached though, it talks about having those material wealth though not opulent but sufficient to be enjoyed. It didn't come across as a "needy" card that would speak out as needing extra security. Would you care to elaborate?

Prilica

Hello fellow tarot readers,

I understand 9/Pents as being contented with what one has and also being independent and self reliant. Does this mean the person has no desires in a relationship and is not looking for more? It sounds passive. How does this differ from the High Priestess which is also a very passive card when it comes to relationship readings?

Thanks.
They value their independence a lot. They like to be free, so yes, they can have relationships but always bearing in mind they want their own space. I don't see much commitment in this card.

IndigoWaves

I'm seeing this 9P person as refined, self-assured and already very comfortable in a material/physical sense. She's also secure in the knowledge that she can always have more, and with relative ease, if she so chooses: Her falcon, like her own animal nature/desire, is completely within her control -- currently calm and subdued, yet always effective when released. All she need do is lift that hood to bring more earthy goods into her life... So, I don't consider her passive, exactly, because she initiates a hunt when and if she wants to, then replaces the hood once she's had enough fun.

She may just contentedly contemplate her falcon's ability, pleasing in itself, not really wanting it to dirty her hands with yet another wild critter/lover's bleeding heart... Some relationships do get "messy", potentially cramping her style or clashing with practical ideals, and if she senses that this could happen, she may keep it forever at arm's length. (If the High Priestess has been appearing, as well, I'd be all the more inclined to see a "hands-off" scenario, here, or one that will be very much limited and fully, albeit subtly, controlled by this person).

Grizabella

---

I'm glad I gave you some added insight. :)

Don't forget that little bitty snail in the foreground in the Rider Waite deck. It's self-contained and self-sufficient.

I've always told the women I've sponsored in my 12 step program "If you NEED a man, then the last thing you really need is a man." The reason for that is that when we feel this aching, frantic search for a relationship, then that's when we're the least suited to enter a relationship. If we can grow in self-esteem and self love so we don't NEED a partner, that's when the right one will enter our lives.

ETA: It's off topic, but this month on the 5th I had my 32nd anniversary of sobriety. :D

Miradeck

They value their independence a lot. They like to be free, so yes, they can have relationships but always bearing in mind they want their own space. I don't see much commitment in this card.

Thanks Prilica. I think this sums up "personal space" as someone's hopes and desires in a relationship reading. You're probably right as well on the commitment part.

Miradeck

I'm seeing this 9P person as refined, self-assured and already very comfortable in a material/physical sense. She's also secure in the knowledge that she can always have more, and with relative ease, if she so chooses: Her falcon, like her own animal nature/desire, is completely within her control -- currently calm and subdued, yet always effective when released. All she need do is lift that hood to bring more earthy goods into her life... So, I don't consider her passive, exactly, because she initiates a hunt when and if she wants to, then replaces the hood once she's had enough fun.

She may just contentedly contemplate her falcon's ability, pleasing in itself, not really wanting it to dirty her hands with yet another wild critter/lover's bleeding heart... Some relationships do get "messy", potentially cramping her style or clashing with practical ideals, and if she senses that this could happen, she may keep it forever at arm's length. (If the High Priestess has been appearing, as well, I'd be all the more inclined to see a "hands-off" scenario, here, or one that will be very much limited and fully, albeit subtly, controlled by this person).

This sounds very much like a predator ready to pounce on her prey... but in a position that reads someone's hopes and desires in a relationship, does it then mean she's into the chase but not the end result? From your description it sounds almost like the chase is more delightful than the end result and once the prey is captured, the chase ends and so does the interest.