When Faeries are On Faeries On Faeries

SunChariot

I love my Good Faeries/Bad Faeries book. I find it gives me a lot more background into the faeries than is giving in the deck. It has a good number of the faeries in the deck, but also introduces you to a good many others.

No, of course you don't need to make use of whatever the book suggests. The book with the deck starts out by warning you about paying too much attention to books. :grin: The deck just seems to be my one that is designed to be most intuitive.

For myself, I still take that advice though, see the faery heads they are standing on as a powerful emotion behind who they are or an outcome, but of course that still leaves me to decipher what that emotion is or outcome will be, and that part is still very intuitive. But there is, of course, no reason to see it that way if it doesn't call to you. You do have to follow your instincts with this deck.

By the way, does anyone have the CD that Brian Froud created called "Faeries"? I find the music so beautiful. I often have in on when I read with this deck. And the video section of it and the interview with Brian is cool too.:grin:

Bar

Alissa

I thought I remembered Froud talking about the faeries somewhere, but it's been a long time since I looked through Good.../Bad Faeries. Good to know!

SunChariot

Alissa said:
I thought I remembered Froud talking about the faeries somewhere, but it's been a long time since I looked through Good.../Bad Faeries. Good to know!

I have two of his books (and the CD:grin:). His "Faeries" book has beautiful artwork, of course, but it is a bit scary/negative for me. I adore Good Faeries/ Bad Faeries. I find the info at the beginning helped me a lot to understand the faeries and the deck itself, and just flipping through the images, somehow just gives me a "magical" feeling inside that helps with my readings I think. Sortof makes me more open to truly seeing the magic around me and knowing it's there, and makes me feel more connected to the faeires.

I tend to go through that book before I do a reading, and read the entire book if I have been away for too long. For some reason that CD does the same thing for me, kindof puts me in a "magical" state of mind. Well, I guess not "for some reason". I am sure that was Brian's intent all along.:grin:

Bar

faerylvr

I am on my way to buy Good/Bad right now...just checked the thread before heading out. I didn't even know there was a cd so that will be on my shopping list as well.

Faeries on Faeries on Faeries seems to me to be saying that there is more to what we are seeing. Each of the faeries has its own story to tell you and you need to listen to all of them...not just the prominent one.

greenbeans

i just love good faeries/bad faeries, it is so beautiful. but then i am obsessed with froud generally! i agree with what you are all saying about the close connection of energies between fae in the same card...the 'supporting head' thing always makes me think of the legend of zeus and athena (she was born fully-formed from inside his skull).

ok, i know it sounds a bit weird, but look at 'The Journeyman'- Oengus is so small and young compared to the wizened master on whose head he stands. it is as if he has emerged from the master's thoughts as a young son, or young version of himself,reborn energised and ready to start the world afresh.

i know it sounds odd but it is my intuitive interpretation! heh!

SunChariot

greenbeans said:
i just love good faeries/bad faeries, it is so beautiful. but then i am obsessed with froud generally! i agree with what you are all saying about the close connection of energies between fae in the same card...the 'supporting head' thing always makes me think of the legend of zeus and athena (she was born fully-formed from inside his skull).

ok, i know it sounds a bit weird, but look at 'The Journeyman'- Oengus is so small and young compared to the wizened master on whose head he stands. it is as if he has emerged from the master's thoughts as a young son, or young version of himself,reborn energised and ready to start the world afresh.

i know it sounds odd but it is my intuitive interpretation! heh!

Well, it's kindof hard not to be obsessed with Froud's work once you get into it. :grin: His "Runes of Elfland" book is phenomenal too, although for some reason the artword itself is not the same, looks like it's drawn by someone else....

And no what you said about the Journeyman card does not sound weird. In fact, to me, I find that concept quite beautiful. I can really see that. Anyway, nothing you ever sense with your instincts is ever anything less than beautiful. :grin:

Babs

Satori

I spent some time with the Good Faeries/Bad Faeries book at the bookstore a few days ago.

What struck me is that some of the Fae in the Bad part of the book, are actually changed somewhat in the Oracle. Names have changed a bit and the bad fae are no longer considered "bad" in the Oracle.

I'm not sure if that is Jessica's influence or not.

If I could sit down with Froud and ask him anything it would be that he print up more of the Fae in another Oracle that could go with the one we now have. In fact the Queen of Faery was in the book but not in the deck!!! I can't imagine the Oracle now without the Queen after having seen her. She isn't magnificent, not like the Faery Godmother, but she is the Queen after all.

And the dark Queen...I loved her.

Also, some of the Fae that were left out that were "symbiotic" and paired really seemed to me essential to the Oracle. I want more Faery cards in the oracle, and I want them NOW!!!! ;)

greenbeans

SunChariot, I know what you mean about the runes- a little different looking (in style and colour) than his other works but still Froud, somehow. when are they going to make those into cards?! they would be amazing...sigh...

Elf, in the introduction Jessica says something like all the faeries are present at a reading whether visible (as a card) or invisible (as helping energies I suppose) - but come on, I would love to see the Queen as a card!

Alissa

*nods with elf* I remember the first time I paged through Good/Bad... and thinking much the same. I imagine it was difficult for him to chose which Fae were included in the deck and which wouldn't be. But the Queen...! :)