Oracle De-enabling

Jewel

CelticDruidess said:
Someone help me.... Bodhran's got me wanting the Path of the Soul deck. (*shakes fist at Bodhran*) I'm also very tempted by the Goddess Oracle deck.... and I can't afford another deck - I need de-enabling, please!
OK I will give it a go, Bodhran has helped me part with my money too so I understand ~chuckles~. I would highly recommend you just find some psychodelic pictures or post cards and stare at them for a while, or better yet a Kelidiscope! That way you only have one thing to keep up with and it will have ever changing shapes!

I am currently borrowing the copy of this deck from a friend as I was thinking I had to have it, but the more I look at it ... well the less I need it. The cards as said above are done in fractal art. There are no key words on the cards so all you have is splashes of color. If all you really want to do is stare at colorful pictures and let your mind go, well then I would recommend getting a coffee table book with fractal art so you can have larger images to delve into ... or do hallucinogenics if you are into that sort of thing *LOL*.

WinterRose

*Giggles* A kaleidoscope.... very true! And yeah, the lack of keywords is a big de-enabler.

faunabay

I'm "the friend" that loaned it to Jewel. LOL

I really like it, but......... Don't worry I know this is a de-enabling thread. })

It is VERY positive. Very New Agey! I know alot of people don't like decks like that. And even I find it a bit over the top with positive spins on things. Then on top of that, while the pictures are nice, like Jewel said, you really don't get much from the pictures. You have to use the book to "get" the meanings.

WinterRose

Ew - Fluffy Bunny stuff you mean. Yeah, MAJOR de-enabler there! lol!

Hmm, that didn't take much, but I think I'm de-enabled now....lol! Fankoo!

ilweran

Oracle of the Dragonfae

I'd decided not to get this but my friend* has it and let me look through it and now I want it, but shouldn't. The multiple artists thing isn't putting me off now I've seen all the cards and the only real negative I can think of is that 'The Green Lady of Y Ddraig Goch' card shows a green dragon when it should be red - 'ddraig goch' is Welsh for red dragon. This is annoying but I don't think it's annoying enough.

Help anyone?

*the same friend who converted me to the Mystic Fairy Tarot and who is responsible for all the fairy decks I own :D

Chronata

yay! I had no idea there was an oracle de-enabling thread!
This should SO be a Sticky thread!

ahem...ok...so Oracle of the Dragonfae.

It's got a lot going for it. (it certainly is pretty!)

I can only tell you what I personally didn't like while trying to read with it.

One...keywords. They annoy me on most decks...and while these are more subtle than most...they are still annoyingly present. If you read by intuition and pictures, the keywords will always seem to be getting in the way.

Two...the artwork is beautiful...but I do believe this one suffers from most oracle decks of this nature. I don't think the art was created to be specifically an oracle deck.
I could be wrong...maybe all these artists were commissioned to put together art that conveyed a specific idea or purpose...but it doesn't feel like it to me. It feels like they took some beautiful artwork, and said..."hey this one shows a pretty fern fae...lets say it represents Clarity" (Huh? what do fern fairies have to do with clarity?)
You kind of get what I mean. There is a lot of this in this particular deck.

and yes, this is a subtle thing...and it may never actually annoy YOU. But this ...along with the fact that their red dragon is green would annoy the crap out of me! (Thanks...I don't know any welsh!)

i did four readings with this deck, and they were all vague...as if the things I want to know aren't represented by these particular cards.

There are similar and better oracles out there...Froud's comes to mind immediately...but that takes some work to get past the annoyingly similar idea that the art also wasn't actually intended to be an oracle in the first place.

ilweran

It is pretty. I suppose the real reason I shouldn't get it is that I already have.... umm, well some other fairy oracles I can't remember the names of. Except for the Froud which I've vaguely used. About twice. Which says a lot.

*checks profile*

Here we go - Enchanted Oracle (Jessica Galbreth), Faeries Oracle (Froud), Faery Wisdom Deck (Amy Brown), Fairy Pack (Claire Nahmad). Plus some fairy tarot decks.

And I can always visit my friend who lives 10 minutes down the road and see her copy.

I think I'm nearly de-enabled. At least I don't feel like buying it now, and if I stay like that long enough it just won't get bought at all because I'll find something else I want :D

nisaba

CelticDruidess said:
And yeah, the lack of keywords is a big de-enabler.
Hey, look, in other oracles, the *presence* of keywords is a big de-enabler, too! <evil cackle>

Cat*

Any de-enabling for the Tarot of the Tailors (22-card oracle deck)?

And could you say a few words against the Fantod as well, while you're at it?

lark

Cat* said:
And could you say a few words against the Fantod as well, while you're at it?
Sharp corners that draw blood
Plastic lamination
No numbers on cards or in the book so you have to hunt for the meanings.
I have pulled a card for you to see what fate might befall you if you buy this deck
You got The Ecorche~
June
Sexual incompetence
a forged check
obscurity
irregularities
puckers
inconstancy
an accident on a pier
morbid sesibilities
deception
a social disease
confinement
cysts
if any of these fates appeal to you well then this is the deck for you. :)