Gilded Tarot

.::Cerridwen::.

BobTheViking said:
The limited edition was printed by the artist personally. It has a much higher quality than the Llewellyn version. It was really expensive, though, and he only made 350 or so, I believe.

Even the mass manufactured version is beautiful, though. I'm quite happy with mine.

Is that the same thing he is doing with the Tarot of Dreams? Can I expect to find it for less then $83 when it is mass produced? I sure hope so, cause I love the artwork in it as well, just can't afford it!

lunakasha

.::Cerridwen::. said:
Is that the same thing he is doing with the Tarot of Dreams? Can I expect to find it for less then $83 when it is mass produced? I sure hope so, cause I love the artwork in it as well, just can't afford it!

I'm afraid not....Ciro is self-publishing the Tarot of Dreams and has said that he has no plans to market it to a major publisher, such as Llewellyn or US Games. I think the $83 price will stand, and although it is more expensive than most decks (I am still saving my pennies LOL), it sounds like it is more than worth it, based on all the glowing reviews I have read here and elsewhere.

:) Luna

lunakasha said:
I'm afraid not....Ciro is self-publishing the Tarot of Dreams and has said that he has no plans to market it to a major publisher, such as Llewellyn or US Games. I think the $83 price will stand, and although it is more expensive than most decks (I am still saving my pennies LOL), it sounds like it is more than worth it, based on all the glowing reviews I have read here and elsewhere.

Well then I guess I will have to save as well, I love his work! From the previews of the cards and CD on his site it looks well worth the money.

lunakasha

.::Cerridwen::. said:
Well then I guess I will have to save as well, I love his work! From the previews of the cards and CD on his site it looks well worth the money.

LOL....it sucks being broke....but I really do think they will be worth the price, AND worth waiting for. I am hoping to order mine in the next 2-3 weeks. And maybe we will both have ours by end of summer....and then play "catch-up" with the study group!

OakDragon

The special edition of the Gilded was limited to 200 copies and sold for $355 (if I recall correctly). They still seem to be advertised on his website, so he may not have sold them all yet.

OakDragon said:
The special edition of the Gilded was limited to 200 copies and sold for $355 (if I recall correctly). They still seem to be advertised on his website, so he may not have sold them all yet.

Holy Cow! Is there a limit on the Tarot of Dreams? $83 doesn't seem so much now... LOL

OakDragon

Ciro has not stated a particular limit, but as he is printing the deck himself, I suppose he will run out of resources or patience eventually. ;)

cirom

To Limit or not to Limit

Just to put the various options into a clearer perspective.

As oakdragon correctly indicated. The special edition version of the Gilded was limited to 200. As with other decks, prints etc, beyond any aesthetic value to the reader or collector, the relative "value" is presumably influenced in their mind by the limited number available.

The standard version of the Gilded published by Llewellyn was on the other hand produced in much larger and unlimited numbers. When decks go out of print, its obviously because the first print run sold out, but also because the publishers nevertheless don't feel comfortable that any further sales would be sufficient to justify the expence of a second run. I'm surprised to say that the Gilded is now in its fourth printing in less than nine months. (I had no idea how many tarot enthusiasts there were out there). That clearly is an example of an unlimited product.

The Tarot of Dreams falls in the middle, its not a hand made deck as in the Gilded LE, it was commercially printed. However I've still tried to maintain some elements of a customised deck. I used a local printer as opposed to the ones who produce the majority of decks for the main publishers, allowing me to break out of the standard format of size and proportion. Better control of quality, and I signed and numbered each deck. The quanities produced were in the hundreds, not thousands. Nevertheless it is not a Limited deck. Namely, in the event that it sold out, just as in the case of the standard Gilded, I could consider producing more, depending on the percieved market or lack thereof. Obviously one has to have a reality check. Wether its percieved to be worth it or not, any un limited tarot package selling for three to four time an average deck is'nt going to be justifiable to many people. That was the inherent risk in producing this deck in the way and with the content I wanted, and also why it would have been rejected by the main publishers.

cirom said:
I'm surprised to say that the Gilded is now in its fourth printing in less than nine months. (I had no idea how many tarot enthusiasts there were out there).

Well the cards are gorgeous, the colors are so vivid on the black background and word of mouth it powerful! I've told everyone I know that would be interested about them! Your Tarot of Dreams is equally beautiful, and the idea of the CD to accompany it was great!

Moonchild1721

I recently got the gilded tarot also, and I love it. I agree with everyone here that the artwork is gorgeous. I love doing readings with this deck, and have had really good luck with it. Enjoy, Cerridwen!
Samantha