JMD's Reading the Marseille Tarot- Chapter 1, Introduction

surpeti

La Papesse and La Lune: Still waters run deep. One feels how much is happening behind the utter stillness of La Papesse's facade.

Lemperetrise and Le Soleil: The sun shines down on the fertile earth. The spirits of her future children are near her.

Oh dear, I just realized I mixed up the order of the cards--those darned additive Roman numerals! :eek: So La Papesse should have been paired with Le Soleil and Lemperetrise with La Lune. I liked what I found in the pairs as written so am writing an additional post rather than editing the first one. Okay, here goes:

La Papesse and Le Soleil: Now I feel a laser-like solar force in the intellectual powers of La Papesse, as she sits with her book in her lap.

Lemperetrise and La Lune: Lemperetrise is the "unruly" side of the nobility. She isn't really in charge, so she can be the voice of all the things the king can't afford to be associated with, like sea creatures and howling at the moon. She's the quintessential woman, so all the associations of femininity with the moon are there--monthly cycles, changing moods, unarticulated emotion, etc.

dancing_moon

I love your pairings, surpeti, both versions. :thumbsup: I especially liked how you interpreted them more visually, like the thought exchange between the Hermit and the Hanged Man. :D

Pam O

This is from a different TdM study thread.
These are some additional pairings which seem pretty interesting.

...I think there CAN be a connection between the two (some of which can be very thought-provoking, almost as if they are meant to be connected):

I (Magician) and XI (Strength) - mental strength and physical strength, mind over matter/matter over mind etc
II and XII - knowledge and ignorance
III and XIII - life and death
IV and XIV - rigidity and fluidity
V and XV - speaks for itself!
VI and XVI - union and break-up
VII and XVII - war and peace
VIII and XVIII - clarity and confusion
IX and XIX - introvert and extrover
X and XX - life's uncertainties and life choices

The Fool and World are special and stand alone.

ETA: This just came to mind.
IV and XIV - Stability and dynamic change

alanemeriel

Rose, I will try to analyse as you pairing. Thank you.