Flip or Turn the cards?

blackstormhawk

By habit I turn cards across the short axis, but I believe that either method is "correct," just so long as you're consistent.

Perhaps if you regard reversals as a 'block' in whatever the energy/meaning of the card is, even if reverals aren't traditionally used with a particular deck.

One of my favorite decks is the Medicine Woman Tarot ... you aren't supposed to use reversals with that deck either, but I read them anyway.

LB_Leo

what about round decks?

Hi there-
I have the Motherpeace deck, which is round. I always flip the cards and it always seems to work for me, even the reversals seem accurate. The Motherpeace creators also give interpretations for left and right turned cards.. which, to me, give the interpretations a bit of fluidity or wiggle room. even these usually make sense to me.

Does anyone else use a round deck?

Leslie

SunChariot

New2Tarot said:
Today I did another spread. Actually two. I did the first with my Thoth deck. I shuffle it in such a way that there are no reversals, because traditionally there aren't reversals with the Thoth deck ... I need a book specifically for this deck because the only way I understand it is with the keywords and my books. But I don't know how to deal with ill-dignified cards ... anyway, I'm basically just using it once in a while until I learn how to actually use it. Whenever I use this deck, I turn the cards so that the spread is upright. Otherwise, all the cards would be reversed.

But anyway, I did a spread. Then I did another one underneath the first using my Waite deck.. with which I use reversals.. then I noticed that some of the cards were more in sync with the Thoth spread when they were in their upright positions, even though in my spread they were reversed. I thought maybe it has to do with how I flip the cards.

I flip my waite cards vertically.. I've always done it that way and like it that way, but because the two spreads didn't seem to be in sync, I thought maybe this could be why?

Anyway, who here flips and who turns the cards?? Why? Would it make a difference? Should the two spreads have been in sync?

This is way too confusing. I need a personal teacher LOL.

Later,
New2Tarot

Honestly it doesn't matter which way you do it as long as you are clear in your mind what you intend to do before you start the reading. The answer will come out in the right form according to your intentions at the time you did the reading.

If you have a way to like and prefer, keep doing it.

Babs

heatherjade

I'm of the firm opinion that as long as something feels right, go with it (allowing that it harms none of course).

If it feels right to flip the cards, flip 'em. If you prefer to turn them, turn 'em. Just stay consistant.

Me? I flip them. Which, the more I read these posts, seems not to be of the norm. But who cares? If it works don't try to fix it.

Courtnis

Personal Preference

Thank you for this thread as well. This has been an on-going question of mine. I do not flip the cards but rather turn them as if flipping pages from a book. It doesn't feel right to me and I agree that by turning rather than flipping you are laying out the cards the way they have ended up after the shuffle.

ItstheK

I never flip the cards once they're laid down. What I usually do is shuffle my deck (based of the RW) and then set the deck down on my cloth. Depending on what my instincts tell me, I use a different custom spread each time (Most often it's three rows of five, a pyramid 5,4,3,2,1, or three rows of three or four with two outstanding, one as the descriptor of the present, the other as the answer to the most major question)

Once they're laid down, I turn them. However, if I'm doing it quickly, I keep the deck in my hand. If I'm going to flip the cards, I make sure I'm thinking that that's what I'm going to do as I shuffle, so as to let the cards re-orient themselves that way.

However, inverted cards (I learned after a few VERY inaccurate spreads) don't always mean the opposite of their upright position. When you dealt the RW over the Thoth, and cards applied more upright, it could have been telling you that these energies exist, but just that they're suppressed for some reason. It was probably just clarifying a point. For example, "Yes, these two people are good friends (a la two of cups) but they try to not show it as much (inverted six of cups)", at least, that's how I would read it. It's really a matter of what feels right to you.

Golden Moon

I like to turn them, it make sit look as if I'm turning the pages on a book and reading them one by one. :)