reconsidering a cathar connection

Huck

foolish said:
thanks for the references huck. not sure what the significance of peter martyr is all about but the first one looks interesting. unfortunately, i don't speak italian. is that available in an english translation?

You can use the Google translation tool, which is not totally satisfying, but at least gives some impressions.

Well, Peter of Verona, also called Peter of Milan, a Milanese saint ... his remains were buried in Sant Eustorgio ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sant'Eustorgio
... a church, which earlier had the bones of the 3 holy kings, which is a "Tarot topic" especially in Bolognese decks ... :)

Well, it's material to the Catharic movement in Milan, presented by the side of the church, which naturally had an own view and show on the things, as they happened. Here the Cathars appear as the usual terroristic organization ... :) ...

foolish

i guess it's easy to label a group of people as terrorists, even in those days. the fact of the matter is that this seems to happens when a small faction of a population becomes "militant", usually in response to other militant attacks or persecution, while the majority of the group remains peaceful, even in the midst of the very abuses which cause some to react in outbursts of violence. we can see our own annalogy today with the labeling of muslims as terrorists because of the acts of a militant group within their religion. i guess it would be hard to say how i would react myself to the horrific abuse incurred by the cathars from the catholic church if i was alive during the aftermath of the albigensian crusade. knowing me, i'd probably join the plot to kill the pope.

Huck

Bernice said:
Is this part of the googlebook pdf relavant, about Stefano and the MIlanese Cathars? (See 2nd paragraph).

Bee :)

I think, the whole "assassination case" is relevant.
It's a perfect "murder story", seems well researched and "objective" presented.

It's clear, who's the good and who's the bad ... :) ... but, I guess, it seems only.

Observing the context in the longer distance of time, then the same happened before the start of the Albigensian war.
The church sent an agent provocateur, who was killed, and the church had a moral reason to interfere.

In both cases the agent provocateur became a martyr.

In 1252 there was the situation, that before till 1250 Emperor Fredrick protected his regions against the church and the inquisition, himself being excommunicated for other reasons. As long, as he lived, it was difficult to set up an offensive, although Frederick had some losses before (for instance Como, which is mentioned in the text).

foolish

in the case of the pope's agent, peter of castelnau, he was sent to toulouse to discuss issues regarding the excommunication of raymond VI who was excommunicated for his reluctance to prosecute heresy. it would seem that the murder of one man does not justify the slaughter of thousands of innocent people - both heretic and catholic, by the way. may cities were attacked in which every man, woman and child was killed indiscriminantly, regarless of their belief. i hope you are not saying that they deserved this as retribution for the murder of the pope's legate.

i would question what the pope and the king of france's real motives were in this situation (land grabbing?). and i would question who the real "bad guys" were.

Huck

foolish said:
i hope you are not saying that they deserved this as retribution for the murder of the pope's legate.

i would question what the pope and the king of france's real motives were in this situation (land grabbing?). and i would question who the real "bad guys" were.
This strategy "kill all and everything" at begin of a war had been the way, in which French troops often appeared, also in 15th century. The aim had been to force a quick resignation ... as it happened also in 1494, when Italian cities allowed the French march towards Naples. ... and Renee d'Anjou attempted the same fighting strategy way in 1453, when cooperating with Sforza.

All this happened more than once. And the position of the church in this time was mostly clear: "We're the good and the others are bad." And crusaders were attracted for their bloody business with the promise, that they would reach forgiveness for their sins.
Generally we've to see two factors. One is, that we had an overpopulation during the 11th century in Europe. Such phases create aggression and expansion. The aggression was directed towards crusades and on "religious aims" - which naturally all were only expansions. The necessary brutality for this enterprise became a socially accepted element in society in 12th century. For instance by the songs of the troubadours, King Arthur legends and others, all this romantic stuff, which is part of our culture.

As far the brutality of 12th and 13th century is concerned, we have much worse examples in 20th century, also following the same phenomenon: overpopulation. We'd also for the relevant time (WWI and WWII) the same preparation of war by glamorization through literature, heroes etc.

In Western cultures we've momentary after WWII no overpopulation tendencies, though, as everybody knows, we've them elsewhere, and there are enough wars to observe in daily TV.
We've also this general phenomenon "brutality" in media culture, look in your TV or play a video game, and you know, what I'm talking about.

Yes, of course, in the critical time the French king domain wished to expand, and the church was interested to keep its powerful central position ... too much independence in questions of believe was not welcome. The church (which always in the background were actually some individuals interested to keep their momentary power and income) always were interested to keep its position,as long as they could, they didn't behave different as other political parties at their time, and they did this, as long they could. And they still do, as far it is possible for them ... but the reformation had been a major break, and their attempts to turn the wheel back in 17th century, which caused in Germany a 30-years-war with a population loss of of 1/3 and some even suggest higher numbers, this failed.

In history such operations count a little more than 7.000 - 20.000 dead persons in Beziers and the destruction of one city ... long ago. Surely this 7.000-20.000 counted also much more than the one killed monk, but I demonstrated that as a methodical fighting strategy of the church, to offer a a weak monk as an agent provocateure to deliver a reason to attack with enough manpower, which was used once in the case of the Abigensan wars and a second time 1452 in the case of Peter of Milan-Verona.

... .-) ... similar systematic overreactions are naturally also used by other dubious political regimes. The Nazis for instance used the burning of the Reichstag for an attack on the communists and also as the reason to close the young democratic structures in Germany.

17th century is the time of the Marseille Tarot. It seems to have started in Paris and all what we know, the French king or his relevant minister had no problem with it. Indeed, around this time Marseille was not under control, France having a major political conflict, which went longer than 10 years

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fronde

Marseille was taken around 1660 ...

800px-Marseille-Fort_Saint-Jean_.JPG

Here is an interesting fort in Marseilles, which was build ca. 1660.

Wikipedia said:
Fort Saint-Jean is a fortification in Marseille, built in 1660 by Louis XIV at the entrance to the Old Port. Fort Saint-Nicolas was constructed at the same time on the opposite side of the harbour. Commenting on their construction, Louis XIV said, "We noticed that the inhabitants of Marseille were extremely fond of nice fortresses. We wanted to have our own at the entrance to this great port." In fact, the two new forts were built in response to a local uprising against the governor, rather than for the defence of the city: their cannons pointed inwards towards the town, not outwards towards the sea.

.... and the situation settled, the king Louis XVI finally became rather successful. He was rather fond of playing cards and gambling.

The first Tarot de Marseille (in the sense, that it really was "from Marseille") is recorded for 1672, at least according Camoin who spend a lot of energy on it:

http://en.camoin.com/tarot/-Tarot-Nicolas-Conver-en-.html

The Tarot of Nicolas Conver engraved in 1760 was considered for a long time to be the oldest Tarot de Marseille made in Marseilles. But in 2001 I demonstrated that there was another deck, the Tarot de Marseille deck manufactured by François Chosson, which was older and which went back to 1672, nearly one century before Conver. The deck of Chosson was preserved in a Swiss museum, in Soleure, and nobody knew its origin. It is thanks to the documents of my grandparents that I was able to verify that François Chosson formed part of a dynasty of Master cardmakers of Marseilles.

Camoin notes something about "1608" in his text, which is explained in a thread in another forum.

Then we have following:

http://www.wopc.co.uk/france/index.html
As early as 1613, Louis XIII decreed that cardmakers should place their name on the knave of clubs. In 1701 a further law was passed in France laying down fixed designs for the playing cards from each of the nine regions, so that stereotyped playing cards from each region were produced which could be identified by the authorities. This tended to result in lower quality cards, with the standard falling all the time, as revenues became the most important criterion.

So it seems, that with the law of 1701, still under the reign of Louis XIV, it was made possible, that ALSO a sort of stereotyped Tarot de Marseilles developed in France.
That would have surely not happened, if Louis had a specific hate on this deck.

But Louis had something against the Huguenots.

Huguenots were in 17th century mainly distributed in the region, where also the Cathars had been. If one assumes a hidden historical prolongation of the disappeared 13th century Cathars, then it would be logical to see them in the Huguenots.
200.000 of them left the country, forced by a king, who apparently had a lot of sense for cards and surely no bias against the Tarot de Marseille.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huguenot

huguenotwars.jpg

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wggerman/map/huguenotwar.htm

This is taken from the 16th century Huguenot wars, but the distribution likely was somehow similar in late 17th.

An interesting detail ... the deciding man in France from 1643-1661 had been cardinal Mazarin, minister of the state, who had been grown up in Italy (so definitely knew Italian playing cards) and who reportedly had a strong favor for card playing and gambling (like Louis XIV). Already Louis XIII. was known for card playing.
The first known deck with stronger similarities to the Marseille-Typus is estimated for 1650 in Paris ... that's Mazarin's time and it is his location.

Bernice

As neither the cathars, catholics or unscathed onlookers appear to have recorded these warring events in the tarot trumps, the question remains as to how the cathars might have influenced them.

A question foolish;
During the period when the marseille pattern was becoming established, do you specifically know of any card-maker(s) or commissioner(s) who were cathars?

Bee :)

foolish

i'm not sure i understand your point about the many examples of warfare during the middle ages. are you saying that the fact that the syle of warfare was common made it acceptable? i find this hard to accept. in addition, i would venture to say that the main motivation for war was not overpopulation but rather philosophical/religious differences or greed (both of which were shared by the catholic church and france against the cathars).

as far as the timing of the marseilles tarot is concerned, i think we must differentiate between the "official" appearance of licenced card makers in the 17th century and the likely time period in which the tarot cards (which resembled the marseilles decks) were introduced to the area. i would place this around 1495, during the time that french soldiers were returning from italy after their invasion of milan (by no coincidence, by invitation of ludovico visconti). hit seems reasonable that they would have brought back the game of tarot with them.

as far as a specific person involved in the cathar connection, there is an account of one guillaume belibaste, a cathar perfect, who was said to have had a card making business (rene weiss, the yellow cross, p.260). he was burnt as a heretic in 1321.

OnePotato

foolish said:
as far as a specific person involved in the cathar connection, there is an account of one guillaume belibaste, a cathar perfect, who was said to have had a card making business (rene weiss, the yellow cross, p.260). he was burnt as a heretic in 1321.

Woodblock printing on paper began in Europe toward the end of the 14th century, and didn't really begin to flourish until around 1425.

Is there any mention of how this guy, who died in 1321, was producing his cards?

His Wikipedia bio says that he made baskets and "carding combs".
A carding comb is used to comb wool.
It has nothing to do with making playing cards.

I find your overall theory very imaginative, but from what you've said so far, (without hearing your whole case,) I can see some serious holes that will need to be plugged before I buy any of it, and I can't imagine how you might do that.
But I cheer you for trying!

Huck

foolish said:
i'm not sure i understand your point about the many examples of warfare during the middle ages. are you saying that the fact that the syle of warfare was common made it acceptable? i find this hard to accept. in addition, i would venture to say that the main motivation for war was not overpopulation but rather philosophical/religious differences or greed (both of which were shared by the catholic church and france against the cathars).

You're not asked, if you like any part of history, neither me. According the general accepted law, that time proceeds and never returns back, you cannot change history.
The interest is in a somehow true understanding of history, perhaps, to learn to win or avoid specific not pleasant results in the future, but getting other more satisfying.

You put the finger in the fire, it hurts. You learn to avoid it in the future. Isn't this all your life experience? Evaluation of experiences? Trial, error, new insights?
well, that's practical personal history ... on a higher level you can even learn something from words of others or even books.

as far as the timing of the marseilles tarot is concerned, i think we must differentiate between the "official" appearance of licenced card makers in the 17th century and the likely time period in which the tarot cards (which resembled the marseilles decks) were introduced to the area. i would place this around 1495, during the time that french soldiers were returning from italy after their invasion of milan (by no coincidence, by invitation of ludovico visconti). hit seems reasonable that they would have brought back the game of tarot with them.

Well, this with Rene Weiss, "The yellow Cross", I wish to know very precisely. He was in the card playing business ... I guess, hundreds of playing card researchers would eagerly like to know, where and when he produced playing cards before 1321.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillaume_Bélibaste
He is not unknown to the world.

Usually informed people think, that first playing cards appeared ca. 1370, I believe, it happened earlier, but it's very difficult to prove this.

What knows Rene Weiss, what others don't know?

Okay, I took a look at that of the text, what amazon gives free, and I can probably predict, that Weiss didn't give any solid references for this card deck production process since 1313.

Is this correct? Or do you've a real surprise hidden in this text? ... :) ... Guillaume Belibaste would be the oldest known European card maker ...

foolish

i've got to admit, huck, you're losing me on the first part of your message regarding history and experience. maybe it's a language issue. in any event, i don't see the point of labeling the cathars as the bad guys and the church as the good guys simply because that was the way people engaged in war. the result of such an atrocity would have left increadible scars - enough to burn your hand and make you never forget.

moving on... i must appologize - i think i may have been caught again in making the mistake of relying on a source (in this case, weiss) without checking into it further. when i read her statement about belibaste, it obviously sounded like a good connection. i understand that most people date the begining of cards in europe at around 1370. in 1377, an ordinance in paris forbade card games on workdays. this would mean that cards would have to have been around at least a little bit before that. well, i guess i can live with that - unless, we can make a case out of the possibility that cards were brought back by crusaders returning from the east, where the card game of "naibbe" was believed to have been imported from. this could put the presence of cards in europe at an earlier date, but, as you have pointed out, there still doesn't appear to be solid evidence of any card making shops at the time belibaste was being burnt at the stake. what was weiss thinking?

onepotato - thanks for chiming in. i'm begining to feel like a guy dodging bullets in front of a firing squad! but it's all good. i relish in the oportunity to get real good honest feedback from people, and i'm learning more all the time. hopefully, this will help me be more accurate in the book.

bring it on! let's see if we can plug some holes...