Four of Cups reversed - nothing left to take for granted?

Amanda

You're talking about *how often* in your question. An upright four would show some regularity, but Cups would make that regularity "flat" and unexciting. So an ill-dignified (or reversed) four of cups would show more frequent arousal than "normal" in my opinion.

SA12

You're talking about *how often* in your question. An upright four would show some regularity, but Cups would make that regularity "flat" and unexciting. So an ill-dignified (or reversed) four of cups would show more frequent arousal than "normal" in my opinion.

Oh!! I never thought of this! 4 of cups = flat = like unfizzy coke; upright it starts to bubble up -- so I probably won't read the six so negatively. Thank you! This makes so much more sense. :)

Girl Archer

I feel like the person's time for choosing and reflecting is gone and that he seems to have made a choice, whether to accept the cup or not is determined by the flanking cards and outcome as well..

Kgirl

I feel like the person's time for choosing and reflecting is gone and that he seems to have made a choice, whether to accept the cup or not is determined by the flanking cards and outcome as well..

I really like that interpretation Girl Archer! Do you think the energy of this card suggests they were reluctant to make a choice but felt they had to?

Amanda

Oh!! I never thought of this! 4 of cups = flat = like unfizzy coke; upright it starts to bubble up -- so I probably won't read the six so negatively. Thank you! This makes so much more sense. :)

Yes, sorry I was on my phone earlier and was too lazy to type that, numerically, the 6 would positively influence the 4 (bubble it up, as you say), rather than the other way around. But that is my personal method. Many (more like most, if not all) elemental readers consider that whatever follows is what is affected regardless of number.

SA12

Yes, sorry I was on my phone earlier and was too lazy to type that, numerically, the 6 would positively influence the 4 (bubble it up, as you say), rather than the other way around. But that is my personal method. Many (more like most, if not all) elemental readers consider that whatever follows is what is affected regardless of number.

Your method makes sense to me -- it's just sometimes tricky for me (especially this week cause I feel like I've lost half my marbles lol) to ascertain whether ill-dignified cards wind up being more "positive" than "negative" depending on what's there and how the energies mesh together.

WalesWoman

I'm not quite sure why an upright 4 Cups is seen so negatively, to me it seems like super stable emotional stuff, just fine with where they are at and not really open to what else is offered or available. There is something supportive, alive and growing at their back if you look at an RWS card, comfortably leaning on the tree that shades and protects them. it may not be so ho-hum as humming and at peace with themselves and the universe that they don't need outside stimulation or extra excitement to feel just fine.... although the facial expression does look like they are either on downers or stoned out of their mind.

Maybe that is boring, too laid back for words... so reversed is taking that to further extremes...emptiness, depression, total lack of motivation, feeling flat, too self absorbed to be interested in anything, letting opportunities pass and feeling unfulfilled, total rejection.

skywatching

Could you also look at this card reversed as too little, too late ?

For example if you were waiting for someone you had feelings for to tell you they felt the same way, but they were taking too long to tell you because maybe they were dating someone else.

So by the time they made an offer of love to you, you no longer felt the same way about them so therefore the cup being offered no longer means anything to you. They took too long and now it's too late because the person left waiting has decided to move on.

I hope that makes sense!!

Kgirl

Could you also look at this card reversed as too little, too late ?

For example if you were waiting for someone you had feelings for to tell you they felt the same way, but they were taking too long to tell you because maybe they were dating someone else.

So by the time they made an offer of love to you, you no longer felt the same way about them so therefore the cup being offered no longer means anything to you. They took too long and now it's too late because the person left waiting has decided to move on.

I hope that makes sense!!

Yeah I like that alot

Thanks for that feedback WalesWoman ... I think that makes alot of sense too

Girl Archer

I really like that interpretation Girl Archer! Do you think the energy of this card suggests they were reluctant to make a choice but felt they had to?

I feel like they had to make a decision or else... Basically, my idea is that each suit represents a story and for me, the Cups is a love story. I always feel like the initial love felt between too people is sort of taken for granted and maybe flirts around a bit in the 3C, while the person in 4C contemplates his choice to make and then perhaps, if he made it in a hurry, what you see is the following 5C - disappointment and regret, followed by reminiscence of the good old days in 6C...and so on, till he finally reaches 10C. His goal of emotional happiness and contentment is fulfilled. He feels loved and is accepted. Sort of like a Fool's Journey, only applied in a romantic context.