Interesting TdM Mold

Lee

Thanks for posting these, it really is fascinating, and I enjoy so much reading your analysis.

le pendu

Lee said:
Thanks for posting these, it really is fascinating, and I enjoy so much reading your analysis.

My pleasure Lee; I'm so glad that you're interested. I love this stuff.

Melanchollic

Thanks for posting these Le Pendu! Facinating!

You're getting my vote for President!!

R
a
H

firemaiden

Yay, Robert le Pendu, this is a fascinating thread. I haven't anything to add, just more votes for president.

le pendu

The Knight of Batons

I think this is probably the most striking card of the bunch. For a long time I've complained about the representation of this Knight on the Conver, but have never been happy with it on the Dodal or Noblet either. I've pointed out before in a comparison how much I prefer the Drago version.

Here again, the BN Mold basically agrees with the Drago

BN Mold and Drago
bn_BC.jpg
d02059cC.jpg

Noblet, Dodal, Conver
batons12.jpg
dodal_BC.jpg
conver_BC.jpg

The Noblet, Dodal and Conver, to me, all seem "confused" about how to draw the bottom of the horse. Conver's horse looks like it is wearing a "blanket" that is covering almost the entire horse. Dodal seems to know that one of the legs should be raised in the front, but the art looks like something from the 1930s! Noblet handles it best of the three, clearly showing two front legs, and two back legs.

It's interesting to look at the mold and the Drago, and notice that it is actually the other front leg, the one closest to the viewer, that is raised in their version. The front of the horse has a large flower shape, and a similar shape is also found on the knee of the Knight. Conver clearly also has the flower shape, Dodal is very close, it's different on the Noblet and missing on the Drago.

Conver is the only one to show a "cap" on the hat.

The Mold and the Drago agree with the style of the Noblet and Dodal for the way the ground is presented.

The branch in the Knights hand is pretty similar in all depictions, Conver having the least distinction where the two branches are cut off.

Noblet, Dodal, and Conver all see a floral pattern on the Knights coat. The Mold and the Drago see buttons.

I find the Knight of Batons to be one of the most interesting cards for comparison.

le pendu

The Knight of Coins

BN Mold and Drago
bn_DC.jpg
d02059dC.jpg

Noblet, Dodal, Chosson:
coins12.jpg
dodal_DC.jpg
c-d.jpg

Some interesting things here indeed. At first glance, the Mold image seems very similar to the Chosson (and Conver). The cap, the hair style, even the baton in his hand is rounded like on the Chosson.

Yet, looking at the ground, we see the similarity to the Dodal, Noblet, and Drago.

The Drago has the very interesting detail of a sword on the Knights side which doesn't show up in any of the others (well, kind of on the Dodal). There is a line there on them which seems to be part of the horse's "gear", but it is interesting to consider if somehow the Drago deck maintained something the others lost.

The Drago, Noblet and Dodal all have a very squared armor for the front of the horse, but the Mold and Chosson have curved armor.

Noblet's horse is the only one completely in profile. The others agree that there is a circular ornament on the horse's forehead.

le pendu

The Knight of Cups

BN Mold and Drago
bn_CC.jpg
d02059hC.jpg

Noblet, Dodal, Chosson:
cups12.jpg
dodal_CC.jpg
c-c.jpg

On this card, the differences in the horse's front feet again have much to tell.

The Mold and the Chosson have much in common. They both indicate one foot on the ground and the other one raised. Surprisingly, this is different from the Drago which shows both feet raised, as does the Noblet. The Dodal seems to have both feet raised, but the position is yet again different. The Chosson also has similar gear for the horse, curved in the front, like the Mold, unlike all the others.

The ground is similar to the Drago, Dodal, and Noblet.

Some of the horses again share a circular object on the forehead.

The Knight himself is fairly consistent throughout the cards.

le pendu

The King of Cups

BN Mold and Drago
bn_CK.jpg
d02059hK.jpg

Noblet, Dodal, Chosson:
cups14.jpg
dodal_CK.jpg
r-c.jpg

Not much to say here. Like the Drago, the Mold is missing the object next to the cups seen on the other cards. The missing object could be a clasp on the King's cape, the lid of the cup, or the tip of the back of the throne.

The floor is pretty similar to the Chosson. The object with the tassel is next to the kink. There are buttons running up his coat.

It seems half the skull cap is missing, as on the Conver. The rest, at least, imply it.

Overall, I like the clarity of the lines.

firemaiden

I love the King's moustache. Is it possible the BN Knight of cups also has a moustache? One thing we learn from the mould is how much detail is lost in the application of colour.

le pendu

The King of Batons

BN Mold and Drago
bn_BK.jpg
d02059cK.jpg

Noblet, Dodal, Chosson:
batons14.jpg
DBK.jpg
r-b.jpg

This is a great card.

The BN Mold is clearly related to the Chosson (and therefore Conver). To begin with, on the right side of the card the Throne is clearly shown. On the Noblet and Dodal, the area appears as a "hump". The Drago has lot it completely.

What's fascinating to me is that the left side of the card also shows the throne, much more clearly than any other TdM card. The area under the king's upraised arm is very clearly defined.

The armor on the Kings shoulder is also very similar to the Chosson, and in fact, is more detailed in places.

Dodal seems to have lost one of the kings hands, maybe it is hiding behind his back? :)

I can't decide if there is additional detail above the top of his Baton or not?

Is there something on his chin?

The floor is similar in all but the Noblet, who has a pattern on the floor.