Bohemian Gothic - Nine of Wands

Alisa13

Ok - I just posted how some of the BG scenes seem so real and give me the faint feeling that I've actually been there and this is one of them.
The Nine of Wands - He's standing in front of a lovely sunrise/sunset, nimble weapon of destruction in hand, looking somewhat distracted by thoughts such as
"Mayhem, chaos, destruction, I think my work here is done." He pauses for a moment, "No, wait a minute, where did I put my even huger weapon of destruction? Kitchen table? Did I leave it in the bathroom?" And more importantly, "If I leave to go get it will I be attacked?"
I know the RWS deck imagery is of a guy standing in front of 9 wands looking like he has been whupped and is on guard but the BG 9 of Wands really gives me that "wandy" action feeling of what is going to happen next and have I done enough to hold my position.
It also evokes that feeling of sunrise and "I've done it all through the night" reminiscent of the sunrise scene in Lord of the Rings the Two Towers when they have battled all through the night, morning comes and they have survived.
I like this guy and I like to call him Edgar the Ever Ready.

bumble bee

Nine of Wands

Someone on on one of the main introductory threads called this the
PTS syndrome card and thats how I always read it.
Its when you hang in there and fight and fight until you lose yourself in the fight and there is nothing left.
This guy has been fighting the battle for so long that he just isnt in reality any more.
This can be like a relationship that you work at and work at and you hang in for so long that there isnt any thing more to work at. It is a feeling of beyond exaustion bordering on delusion. It could be a job or person who
just sucks the life out of you.
That is one way of seeing this card.

baba-prague

Alisa13 said:

Yes, that's nice. We deliberately made him slightly comic. I think of him as the expendable character in horror films - you know, the one who is ever so earnest and dutiful but doesn't really know what's going on. He is, of course, often the one that first gets eaten/vampirised or chased by the phantom.

So yes, he will stick to his duty. But you wonder if he really ought to - or if he has a complete grasp of the events happening around him. I suspect he hasn't noticed how weird the castle he is guarding is.

Attachments

• BG_9wnds.jpg
    BG_9wnds.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 239

Thirteen

Alisa13 said:
"Mayhem, chaos, destruction, I think my work here is done." He pauses for a moment, "No, wait a minute, where did I put my even huger weapon of destruction? Kitchen table? Did I leave it in the bathroom?" And more importantly, "If I leave to go get it will I be attacked?"

LOL. I think that suits him. Edgar the PTSD Ever Ready--and, at the same time, totally clueless ;)

Wonderful fresh take on the card. It has that feel of hanging in there, of "miles yet to go before I sleep" vibe, but also the question of whether the person really is as prepared and informed as he ought to be to get the job done. Maybe that "almost there" element isn't because he's unwilling, but because he's missing some vital piece of the puzzle, like, as said, the fact that he's doing battle with vampires.

Thumbs up!

Alisa13

Baba-Prague
I'm glad I got the comic part - there is something about his eyes; then I realized who he reminds me of -
Marty Feldman from Young Frankenstien!
Like you said, he is always trying to do the right thing but just might miss the mark.
I like the castle behind him - it is creepy cool! But now that I have looked at it again it looks like a hard castle to guard just by yourself, another vulnerability of the 9 of Wands.
It is cool that your decks, The Bohemian Gothic and the Victorian Romantic help me to understand the RWS deck better. I have read the meaning for the 9 of Wands hundreds of times but your decks "get" the feeling of it and that is what makes them a joy to work with.