Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews          Free Tarot Readings           What's New           Tarot Card Meanings

Decks You Wish You Hadn't Bought?

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Tarot Decks

Citizen

Clockwork Ghost 

I have too many decks now to really go through them and pick out the ones I don't really like, but there are certainly a few I only bought so I could say a certain part of the collection was complete. I know the decks I now avoid though, and they tend to fall under the following parameters:

1. Anything that simply mimics a more famous deck to gain leverage off it - mostly decks that try to copy the standard Rider-Waite images, but make the pictures more gothicky, or witchy. This is a fine line though - some concept decks are cool, others take it way too far.

2. Any deck that has childish looking art, or is too art nouveau. I like pretty decks, not ones that I could have drawn myself.

3. Any deck that doesn't have some link to traditional imagery, even if it's just a couple of Hebrew letters or a planetary symbol. I'm a bit of a traditionalist, and I read decks from a traditional perspective, so I like to have cues on the cards.

Yeah, that's about it, I guess.
Top   #701
Resident

Bullfly7 

I am new to the forum and relatively new to tarot. I saw the Wild Unknown tarot deck and was really really drawn to it and it inspired me to get back into Tarot. But when I received it, I was actually underwhelmed by it. It saddens me to think of it now because I just wanted it so badly that I hadn't considered other decks. I looked at a few but nothing peaked my interest.

So I kind of wished I had waited to buy my Wild Unknown deck. I like it but don't love it and usually avoid using it. Im sure I am weird for that.
Top   #702
Citizen

rylla 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfly7 View Post
I am new to the forum and relatively new to tarot. I saw the Wild Unknown tarot deck and was really really drawn to it and it inspired me to get back into Tarot. But when I received it, I was actually underwhelmed by it. It saddens me to think of it now because I just wanted it so badly that I hadn't considered other decks. I looked at a few but nothing peaked my interest.

So I kind of wished I had waited to buy my Wild Unknown deck. I like it but don't love it and usually avoid using it. Im sure I am weird for that.
There is no weird person in tarot community
Top   #703
Citizen

Nina* 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfly7 View Post

On the other hand it did inspire you to get back into tarot, so that's kind of good, yes?!!

To stay on topic... um... quite a few. Gendron comes to mind.
Top   #704
Resident

Bullfly7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina* View Post
On the other hand it did inspire you to get back into tarot, so that's kind of good, yes?!!

I suppose that this is true BUT I would have still been inspired without buying it. So its one of those you live and learn, or really, buy and learn.
Top   #705
Citizen

FLizarraga 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rylla View Post
Amen to that. It has happened to me so many times...

Mind you, I'm getting better at it --but it still gets me.
Top   #706
Golden Silvery Dionna

Alta 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina* View Post
Gendron. oof. I had forgotten about that one, long turfed out of my collection too.
Top   #707
Resident

Bullfly7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rylla View Post
Thank you for that. Good to know.
Top   #708
Bobble Headed Lawn Gnome

MaryHeather 

The one deck I own that I guess I regret is the original Nigel Jackson Tarot.

Beautiful? Yes. Cardstock and finish? Awesome. Size? Just about perfect. So what's the problem?

This deck is the most conceited, pissy, self-absorbed deck I have ever come across. It's like the Anna Wintour of tarot decks.

I have, however, decided to keep it- in a beat up ziplock bag in a drawer separate from the rest of my decks. Every month or so, I take it out and work with it for a few days, and inevitably make the statement, "yep, you're still a bitch", and put it back in the drawer for another month.
Top   #709
Citizen

Metafizzypop 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryHeather View Post
The one deck I own that I guess I regret is the original Nigel Jackson Tarot........

This deck is the most conceited, pissy, self-absorbed deck I have ever come across. It's like the Anna Wintour of tarot decks.
LOL. I thought I was the only one who had that impression of Anna Wintour. I'm wondering what the Nigel Jackson Tarot could be like to make it seem comparable. I rather do like the art on that deck.

Anyway, the only deck I've ever had second thoughts about was the Tarot of Atlantis. It makes no sense at all. The LWB meanings don't even match up with the illustrations on the cards. It's total confusion.

I keep it and sometimes use it, though. It's become a challenge at this point.
Top   #710

Tarot Cards & Reviews          Free Tarot Readings           What's New           Tarot Card Meanings
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

Copyright © 1996 - 2020 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.