Thoth - Where would you start? Pls Help?

Lourdez

I have had this deck for years BUT have always put it in the to hard basket as it seems so complex. I always figured it was for smart people. LOL

Anyway I picked a couple of cards yesterday and they were quite straight shooting which is what I am looking for in a deck, so I would like to start studying THOTH. I have other decks on order but want to keep this one as a main study deck.

I need advice as it is so different to what I am used to (RW)

Where do I start?
On my own or study group?
Card by CARD?
Journaling?
Is there a book for beginners? I only have the companion.
DO I have to understand symbolism? This is NOT my forte.

ANY advice is appreciated. Where shall I start?

Gosh this is going to take me yearssssss :)

Abrac

Hey Lourdez. I think the main thing is, no matter where you start, it's not gonna be that easy for awhile if you're not familiar with Crowley or Thelema, so just start anywhere and stay with it. I didn't really get that interested myself until I read a few of the Crowley bios. I get bored with occult philosophy pretty easily, so the bios added some color and context that make it a little more interesting for me. :)

Lourdez

Ok thanks Abrac it's going to be a long hard study journey isn't it:)
I might start with daily draws I think? It's just so different to any other deck I have

Richard

.......DO I have to understand symbolism? This is NOT my forte........
If you are satisfied with superficiality and mediocrity, then no, you do not have to understand the symbolism. But then, why use the Thoth at all? Why would anyone find it satisfactory to use a deck which is not understood? I have a sneaking suspicion that some professional readers may use Thoth only to impress clients with the weird pictures. If you can understand those mysterious pictures, then you must be one smart card reader for sure!

The Thoth is symbolism. It represents the Western Mystery Tradition, which involves a lot of study and meditation. Actually, I think that the Tradition can never be understood in its entirety; so it becomes a lifelong pursuit. No one is going to be forced to learn that stuff.

It's your choice.

Lourdez

If you are satisfied with superficiality and mediocrity, then no, you do not have to understand the symbolism. But then, why use the Thoth at all? Why would anyone find it satisfactory to use a deck which is not understood? I have a sneaking suspicion that some professional readers may use Thoth only to impress clients with the weird pictures. If you can understand those mysterious pictures, then you must be one smart card reader for sure!

The Thoth is symbolism. It represents the Western Mystery Tradition, which involves a lot of study and meditation. Actually, I think that the Tradition can never be understood in its entirety; so it becomes a lifelong pursuit. No one is going to be forced to learn that stuff.

It's your choice.

Yes I see what you mean. I have ordered a couple of books so will start with what I have until they arrive. I just hope this symbolism study sinks in. Like I said I feel Thoth is for very brainy people :)

Zephyros

Yes I see what you mean. I have ordered a couple of books so will start with what I have until they arrive. I just hope this symbolism study sinks in. Like I said I feel Thoth is for very brainy people :)

It is... but at the same time there isn't anyone who isn't brainy enough for it. Every man and every woman is a star. Don't sell yourself short. It is just a very different form of study, and for me using it is studying it, and I'll probably never be done, although that's easy for a raw novice like myself to say. In a way I regret having picked it up, as it has eclipsed all other decks for me, and I can't see myself immersing myself in any other the way I have with the Thoth. On the other hand, it holds practically all other decks inside it, so it's a fair trade.

Just persevere, and you will begin to reap your rewards soon enough. What books have you ordered?

Richard

......Like I said I feel Thoth is for very brainy people :)

[size=+2]Wrong![/size] Brainy people probably are more likely to study historical decks, such as Tarot de Marseille. They are concerned with things like dates of publication, whom the Papesse represents, whether the kids in Le Soleil are gay, whether a deck not first published in Marseille should be classified as a Marseille, etc. Thoth is a Johnny-come-lately on the Tarot scene. Nothing of much interest there. :joke:

gregory

You could try the 78 card study. A card a week. I am doing the Thoth there right now, with associated pain and suffering - as I haevn't managed to get to grips with it over the last 35 years ! It is NOT only for the brainy, but it is a tough job....

Read BoT by all means; one must, really (it's all on line) - but also DuQuette and Snuffin - especially Snuffin. He makes it approachable and then I find I can branch out !

ravenest

Where do I start?
Have you tired reading the Book of the Law. If you can get something from that it might help as a defining text to outline one of the ways Thoth is different from most other decks (that are not a copy of it)
On my own or study group?
Just start anywhere on your own ... take it as it comes, study the cards, play with the cards, lay them in suits and orders, read books on the deck, dont try to learn it all at once, think of it as an ongoing and continuing 'hooby'. Try a study group; if it works keep going, if it doesnt, drop it or go somewhere else.
Card by CARD?
Journaling?
yes, as many ways as takes your fancy.
Is there a book for beginners? I only have the companion.
DO I have to understand symbolism? This is NOT my forte.
Tarot is all about symbolism IMO. ALL of life is about symbolism, all experience and sensory input is 'symbolism'. I dont understand how it cant be a forte - but then again I am an excessive neptunian type.
ANY advice is appreciated. Where shall I start?

Gosh this is going to take me yearssssss :)

Just start anywhere and dont see it as a set of things or a limited field to learn ... it will seem to big otherwise, investigate and expore it and gradually it will start snowballing together.

Rosanne

[size=+2]Wrong![/size] Brainy people probably are more likely to study historical decks, such as Tarot de Marseille. They are concerned with things like dates of publication, whom the Papesse represents, whether the kids in Le Soleil are gay, whether a deck not first published in Marseille should be classified as a Marseille, etc. Thoth is a Johnny-come-lately on the Tarot scene. Nothing of much interest there. :joke:

Tut Tut! here is a little web based corporal punshment........ "Thwack"
Even the beautiful Thoth has a History, built upon another history.
Everything that ravenest said will get Lourdez on the journey....and brainy is an odd word anyway....
Adjective
Having or showing intelligence.
I am sure that Lourdez is clever - intelligent - smart - bright - sensible - sharp = brainy.
~Rosanne