Tarot in Movies

MrAndrewJ

Watching a really low budget horror movie called "In Search of Lovecraft." I can't tell offhand what deck they used, but I think the woman is using a regular Rider Waite.

I was glad not to see any foolishness like "Death" and "Lovers" being taken too literally. I even caught myself trying to interpret the readings as the cards flashed by.

But.. ugh... what an annoying movie otherwise.

Moonson

Interesting title.... "in search of Lovecraft"?
Lovecfraft, the author? or anything to do with him?

MrAndrewJ

Yes, as in HP Lovecraft.

The basic premise is that a news reporter starts off doing a Halloween story on HP Lovecraft, then gets assigned some bigger story on him. From there it slips into a Lovecraft style story.

It's VERY low budget. If there's any good news is that it starts off terrible and gets less bad as it goes on. And the one brief scene with the tarot cards was at least less bad than a lot of movies, to me.

danny.mac85

Supernatural I think it was season three(huge maybe) they had a really neat episode with tarot cards in it. Three old stage magicians are trying to make a come-back amongst the new generations high-tech shows. Several people start showing up dead with a calling card, which was a tarot card. Each death mimics their particular deaths. The ones that I can remember where in one scene a man was stabbed to death by several spikes or whatnot(its been a few months since I watched that season) and of course the card was the Ten of Swords. Another death was a hanging and the card was The Hanged Man. There is a big twist to it that was awesome so I'll not give it away. I also do not remember what deck they were using. I don't think it was the RWS but it might have been some varient of it.

Cheers,

Danielle*****

Moonson

MrAndrewJ, i'm a fan of Lovecraft, but i'm a bit afraid of following your tip now... :D

HearthCricket, interesting...another version of "the Borgias"!! i have seen the spanish version and really enjoyed it. Need to see that one!

And, Supernatural has a episode with tarot!! o.o don't like that show, but i'm a bit curious about that...

MrAndrewJ

Another bad horror movie. Devour.

This one had what can only be called a pair of brief cameos by the Medieval Scapini. On the other hand, the filmmakers actually listed the deck near the very end of the credits, along with the U.S. Games System copyright information.

Really, though, I only finished it because I started it.

Although it doesn't look it in the beginning, there is a lot to do with devil-worshiping cults and the like. A lot of other movies have done it better.

Lela

Last night while flipping through the channels, I came across the movie 'Gothic' (see trailer here) staring Gabriel Byrne and the late Natasha Richardson, and right at the time that I came across the movie, it was showing a scene where a bunch of Marseilles type cards were shown scattered on the floor. Unfortunately, I couldn't tell you exactly what lead up to that part of the movie, but the cards definitely made an appearance in this bizarre little horror film from 1987.

strings of life

I did a search in this thread and didn't see this come up.

Another great movie (in my opinion) that features Tarot cards in it is The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. I saw it last weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's the kind of film you either love or hate, but that's why I adored it so. An instant favorite. It's a bit Steampunk-esque and features a traveling carnival/theater company, some deals with the devil, imagination and...

The character Doctor Parnassus used a deck of Tarot cards throughout the etire film for foretelling future events that end up happening. As a Tarot reader, you get much more from the cards that turn up than a person who knows nothing about Tarot. It's quite cool! The deck is a version of the Ancient Italian Tarot (Della Rocca) modified for film.

This was Heath Ledger's last film; he passed away when it was being filmed and they came up with some interesting plot twists to complete the fim with him being in it.

Highly recommended. Excellent cast too.

gregory

aurarcana said:
The character Doctor Parnassus used a deck of Tarot cards throughout the etire film for foretelling future events that end up happening. As a Tarot reader, you get much more from the cards that turn up than a person who knows nothing about Tarot. It's quite cool! The deck is a version of the Ancient Italian Tarot (Della Rocca) modified for film.
It's the LS one, aged a bit - and they are actually CREDITED at the end - marvellous !