Yes/No-Questions

Sofia Philo

I don't like doing yes/no spreads, but I have used a yes/no spread that I found on this site somewhere... you pick a significator, reverse half the deck, flip seven cards and read. You count reversed cards as no and upright cards as yes - the first card counts as two.

Anyway, one time I did it and the conclusion was yes while the cards were screaming "NO"... it was funny because I don't read reversals. I would have never got that interpretation with those cards I selected, so I really had to dig. The yes/no reading turned out to be more insightful than all of the other spreads I did before it (referring to that situation).

Sagepowder

When I first started using the tarot cards I only asked yes/no questions. But lately I have expanded into more broad questions that will give a nuanced answer. I like this because it will give a more interesting picture of the situation.

firefrost

Aerin said:
My view on this is strongly related to my beliefs about the importance of empowerment. Most yes/ no questions for me give away the power of choice to the cards, and I don't think that is healthy. I would far rather ask questions such as 'What do I need to know about X' or 'What are the pros and cons of making choice Z' since this makes it clear that it is down to me to have the final call.

I rather like Joan Bunning's take on questions, see www.learntarot.com and have a look at Lesson 7.

Aerin

I agree with this as well

IndigoWonders

I was just reading today about a three card spread for yes/no.

1) Yes if...
2) No if...
3) Maybe if...

GoddessArtemis

I've not really had much luck with yes/no, as much as I'd LOVE to have a system figured out. The one that seems to have a 70/30 chance of being true for me is as follows:

1. Shuffle cards, focus on question
2. As you're shuffling, determine that ONLY if 3 Aces come up per pile (3 piles of 7 cards, each), esp. if one of the Aces is Ace of Swords...the answer is YES. Otherwise, the answer is NO.
3. Count out cards, face up, up to 7 per pile (3 piles only) OR if an Ace comes up first before you reach the 7th card, STOP. Move to the next pile. Count again to #7, or if an Ace comes up...
4. Do this for 3 piles, total.
5. If you have 3 Aces, esp. Ace of Swords (this Ace has often made the answers more reliable in my experience), there's a good chance the answer is YES.
6. If you have two Aces, one Ace, or no Aces at all...the answer is NO. The cards appearing on the top of each pile is the reason why the answer is NO.

This method is a variation on a method a friend taught me. However, I modified it, since I saw better results with this method than the other. But as I said, this only works 70% of the time. Perhaps someone else might have better luck with it. However, if anyone figures out a method with better odds, please share!

GA

Seafra

I'm very anti-yes/no questions. You are better off asking an Eight Ball. Getting the proper question always provides the best guidance imo. And there's always that lesson the cards like to throw in, which is in a nutshell why I use them.

I must add though that I got a very clear reading one day when I was so angry all I could come up with was literally "What the f***" and, well, they told me.

But it still wasn't a yes/no format ;)

Blessings - Seafra

strangebrew

I read something years ago which said

"Sun in spread...the answer is yes"

Hope this helps!

rcb30872

I don't like using simple Yes/No with tarot. I would rather do something is like a choice type spread, which says what will happen if you do X, and what will happen if you do Y. You can make X as being say meaning yes, in other words what will happen if I do whatever, and make Y as what will happen if I don't do whatever. If I wanted a yes/no answer I would rather ask someone, even then you might get more than a yes or a no, I do have trouble making decisions, but that is rare, I tend to go more with my gut, if anything.

Bylica

Yes/no question

I always try not to ask Tarot yes/no questions, but I sometimes find myself in need for a yes/no answer... Then I do it with 3 cards (without reversals):
1*****2
***3***

1 - what is for?
2 - what is against?
3 - Tarot advice

Then I look which pair of cards is in a way similar or close in meaning with each other. Like today, I had a very clear message. I asked "should I go to...?" and the cards were:

1 - Queen of Cups 2 - Queen of Wands
3 - King of Cups

So I gathered that the cards want to say that it'd be better if I went, since Queen of Cups is closer to King of Cups than Queen of Wands. :)