Readings for teenagers/young adults

Kimon

Hi,

ot of juridical reasons I do only readings for people over 18; though some at this age are indeed still to be called teenagers. Out of my (own, too) experience, in this age people tend to take life's occurences much too serious. So, I always focused on the fact that there is more to life than that (what was the problem of the reading).

Greetings,
Kimon

cayacia

I am 17 and have been doing this for only 4 months. I mostly give readings to myself but I give readings to people at school, too. THey're people my age, though, and slightly more mature than the usual age group. I've done some for younger people (like 14ish) and I find it hard because they don't understand exactly how the tarot is suposed to work. One girl wanted to know if her parents were going to get divorced and there is no yes/no answer.

I never know how to explain it to them. o_O

Kiama

Hey, cayacia! I'm 17 too, and have been reading Tarot since I was 9. I have only been giving readings to people my own age for a couple of years though, and have come across some who want yes/no answers, or answers to questions that I don't feel I should answer, such as 'Where is my dad, is he in jail?' So, I just tell them that I will not read into a question like that: I don't want to get involved.

Kiama

Moose

I recently found a newly published book that has helped me to begin to understand the Tarot needs of the teenager/young adult.

"Tarot for a New Generation," by Janina Renee.
llewellyn Publications 1st Printing-2001
ISBN 0-7387-0160-2

It contains "unique tips" for visualization, studying, relationships with family and friends, and card interpretations that are youth oriented.

I hope this helps.

Blessings, Moose

purplelady

Moose-I just bought "Tarot for a New Generation", and I didn't even realize it was for teenagers 'til I read your post! I had been browsing around in the bookstore and it struck my fancy. I like the way it has 3 cards (in black and white) pictured for Every card. One is from the Legend: Arthur deck , one from the world spirit deck , and one from a deck I can't determine. It looks a lot like rider-waite, but isn't , and it has titles in german, italian, english , and some other language on every card. If anyone has this book and can determine what deck this is , I'd be interested in knowing. There's a few pages of possible interpretations on every card. Now that I've gotten the book out , I suppose "new generation" means young people- duh?! ;) ! That's o.k. because I still feel like a teenager every now and then! The youngest person I've ever read for was my son who was 18 at the time. Oh , and here's the first sentence from the back of the book "You don't need to call a psychic hotline or get an automated online reading to find out what the tarot has to say about your life" Well , I agree with that. Why do people call psychic hotlines for $3.99 a minute , when they can buy a deck for $10 to $30 and maybe a book , and learn the tarot for themselves?

Moose

Purplelady-The Tarot deck is the Universal Waite illustrated by Roberto De Angelis. He supposedly has a "softer more dynamic style'" quoted from the LWB. Yes, I couldn't resist. My deck from B&N arrived today.
His style is not my style. I find the colors to be vivid and eye-pleasing , but the characters are beyond my imagination. A few seem to have some sort of microcephalic problem. One horse definitely shouldn't be in an upright position with those spindly legs. The backgrounds and scenery are obviously Italy, but I fear they remind me of Ground Zero at the WTC.
I definitely am going to give the deck a fair go of it. I'm going to place it under my pillow tonight and pray to the Universe to keep the 7 of Wands out of my sub-conscious mind.
Janina Renee has another Tarot Guide out. It actually came out in 2000. The cover is the same color, so the books look quite similar. This one is called "Tarot Your Everyday Guide." In this one she uses the Witches Tarot, Legends Tarot and my all time favorite,the good old Rider-Waite Deck.
In this book she stresses lessons, advice and interpretations for everyone.

Blessings, Moose

DeLani

Kiama & Zac,
Good for you for your strength and wisdom! I agree with you completely about how people don't treat young people with the respect they deserve. I began reading the Tarot at 13, and was so lucky not only to have a wonderful mentor, but my mother was very open-minded and learned the Tarot too!
And even though I'll be 29 next month (Capricorn), it doesn't seem like that long since I was a teenager, craving respect. As well as being persecuted by the intolerant school system not only for reading the Tarot, but for being a Wiccan.
So yes, I do readings for teens and young adults, and no, I don't talk down to them or try to generalize. They have things going on in their lives that are just as important to them as an adult's would be. And by talking to them as if they were people, you might just turn them on to learning about the Tarot.
Scorpio, kudos to you too for teaching your niece.
Blessings to you all,
DeLani

lilmystic

Hi all! I myself am 17 and I started reading when I was 14 but never told anyone until recently. I agree with previous posts that one mustn't give the "hah, DOOM!!!" look...then again the "it's swell" outlook isn't all that good either. From my experience, teens are cool with whatever as long as it's emphasized that it's totally mutable. I mean, we're young. We want to live. The death card is a lot of fun. I think that I started tarot because the expressions on people's faces when the get the death card is impressive. However, most teens love the idea of death as a change (well, the ones I've read for). It's a phenomenon; there's somethign in the young uns that makes them that way. Cheers!

Esther

I began to become interested in Tarot when I was 11. My mom had a deck then, though she never read them, and I would occasionally take them out and try to do readings. At the time, I found the Death, Judgment, and Devil cards to be scary and foreboding, so I'd always remove them from the deck to read.

However, right now I'm almost 16, and I've recently taken up Tarot reading again, and I haven't encountered any age-related problems so far. I've come to accept that each card can be interpreted in many ways, and that 'negetive' cards can hold positive meaning.

I'd probably read for a fellow teenager if I found one I was willing to read for.

ol_crazy_Legs

I am currently 19 getting ready to be 20. Ive have read for freinds of mine that are also teenagers. I dont see any problems when it comes to reading for them.